The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. Russia | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2020 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

***Wonders if Tre said the same about SB XXXVI***....

Lol why would I?  What bad call decided that outcome?  Unless you're referring too the Tuck Rule, which was the right call on a bad rule lol.  Anyways I am a lot more jaded when it comes to sports than I was 19 years ago

• Haha 1

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Lol why would I?  What bad call decided that outcome?  Unless you're referring too the Tuck Rule, which was the right call on a bad rule lol.  Anyways I am a lot more jaded when it comes to sports than I was 19 years ago

Not even close to the right call. Brady was pulling the ball down and anyone who's ever stood in the pocket knows it.

• Cheers 2

All-Star team as selected by the media:

Lafreniere (2020) - tournament MVP

Hayton (ARI)

Fagemo (LAK)

Sandin (TOR)

Romanov (MTL)

Hofer (STL)

Best players as selected by the Directorate:

G- Hofer (STL) 

D- Sandin (TOR) 

F- Lafreniere (2020)

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Never been a fan of embellishment....but my point is it didn't "taint" the victory. The Russians were up two and couldn't close the deal.

If you're determined to put an asterisk beside the win, there's nothing I can do to stop you, but if we went by your criterion, there would be about a thousand asterisks out there.

Fair comments 

I didn’t like the Hayton embellishment 

the one we also did on the faceoff did lead to a piwerplay goal 

that said I also agree we have been burned internationally by diving and embellishment so to agree we benefited from it for once but I prefer to grind like Canada always has 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We did win the right way by coming back down from 2 and keeping them 1-6 on the PP... 

That’s we did but you don’t feel we embellished on the Penalty that led to our third period powerplay goal? 

players crush each other after tge draw every faceoff but that fall back neck whip was cheap and you know it 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

neither was this, by the letter of the rule

But my original point was that, by the letter of the rule, unless a fan makes a catch to prevent the puck from touching the stands, any puck that goes over the glass will eventually come into contact with an arena structure. Therefore, does this mean that there is no penalty? Obviously not. 

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Fair comments 

I didn’t like the Hayton embellishment 

the one we also did on the faceoff did lead to a piwerplay goal 

that said I also agree we have been burned internationally by diving and embellishment so to agree we benefited from it for once but I prefer to grind like Canada always has 

Except the game has changed... for better or worse can be debated. I want Canada to win and not lose playing a style of game that I might prefer.

• Cheers 2

Just now, canuck2288 said:

That’s we did but you don’t feel we embellished on the Penalty that led to our third period powerplay goal? 

players crush each other after tge draw every faceoff but that fall back neck whip was cheap and you know it 

both sides were embellishing cause the refs were calling everything. Don't act like Canada was the only one embellishing. 

18 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Was still a high stick whether he embellished or not and not so egregious that it's worth whining about 2 hours later. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Except the game has changed... for better or worse can be debated. I want Canada to win and not lose playing a style of game that I might prefer.

Yeah I hear you 

it has definitely changed. With the hogh stick rule now even in the nhl ther is always a head snap 

need to start calling embellishment and get the real game back 

sadly in the nhl players do it so the terrible refs dontt miss it 

3 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

both sides were embellishing cause the refs were calling everything. Don't act like Canada was the only one embellishing. 

I said much earlier the Russians and frankly very international team does it 

we doMy have to play at that level 

the old they are doing it so we should as well does not fly with me personally 

15 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I just prefer winning the game the right way 

if you are good with it more power to you 

There's rarely a "clean" game when it comes to perfectly officiated.   Winning the right way is battling through the adversity and not losing focus....I'd say they did that.  The Russians unraveled when they had unfair calls - slamming sticks on the ice?  So if they'd won?

The team didn't botch any calls...so why are you holding them responsible or taking away what they did?

It isn't right.

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

There's rarely a "clean" game when it comes to perfectly officiated.  

Winning the right way is battling through the adversity and not losing focus.

The team didn't botch any calls...so why are you holding them responsible or taking away what they did?

It isn't right.

Many times Canadian teams have fought both the other teams and the refs Deb 

that’s what makes our national teams great 

today we did fight but we also stooped to the level of diving and embellishment 

all I am saying is that is not how Canada plays hockey 

I loved our go ahead goal. That was good old Canadian hard work hockey 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unknown1995 said:

So true.

Actually, the Canadians were the LEAST to blame in a tainted game...as the Russians started the drama early on and were beneficiaries of the calls in the beginning.  The refs were horrible in assessing against the Canadians, who, eventually, did take a page out of that book in trying to get things evened out.  I don't like it, but whatever, it happens.  Good for the goose/gander stuff.   

The Canadians hung in there got a little karma delivered as it did level out a bit.  Sorry?  (Not)

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1