The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs. Russia | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2020 | 10:00 AM PT

Rate this topic

On 1/5/2020 at 6:17 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

You know, I always thought that they should go the way of MLB and only allow wooden sticks, nothing else.  I know that it sounds backwards, however you can then go and mandate that goalies wear proper fitting equipment instead of what's going on now.  I know that the goalies need extra protection because with the modern sticks you can get a lot more flex and power into the shots.  

I've thought the same about sticks.  No telling what kind of high-tech weirdness will be available in the future, and with the tolerance with things that there is now... no way they can stop this.  Sticks that can automatically target a net, that can provide the propulsion of a bow, that can change shape slightly when receiving a pass?  

MLB has kept the same dimensions for the field too, same kind of base bags. The only evolution has been in the gloves and maybe the shoes too. Even the ball is carefully measured and thought about. 

Other sports are pretty strict too about their equipment.  

My wife says that hockey is impressive because it requires so many skills: to start with, you have to be able to skate, just to get to the rest of the game!  And it is unusual in using a tool (stick) -- unlike Basketball, Soccer, etc.  The problem is that it has so many ways it can adapt those tools.  Skates, shot blocking aids, body armour, etc. I'm not sure myself where it should be fixed and where it should be allowed to evolve.  E.g., hockey would be higher scoring without so much shot blocking -- standardize the equipment so that there is no special equipment to protect players blocking shots and I think there would be less of it lol. 

On 1/5/2020 at 10:07 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

On Video reviews, It should not be slowed down frame by frame to see if it was offside or not and still take 10 minutes to determine

Let there be a video review from all angles, But at REAL time, if after looking at real time, it still isn't determined, then the call on the ice stands

Or Have a time for a 1 min review, If they cant determine after slo mo in that time, let's not split hairs and move on

I am sure with todays technology, they could put a microchip inside the puck, and even show the image of the puck in the glove while inside the net (something now that they wont rule on a lot of times if the complete glove is inside the line)

You've reminded me how much the rules really matter.  The point about real-time replays is so valuable.  If and when they get to review of penalties it will really matter then.

In track and field they have started to return to a more realistic sense of measurement.  Athletes actually "tie" now in sprints.  I think it is a good idea.