The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Back in 1991, December 4. 

Vancouver vs. Montreal. 

I think the game was one of the few on BCTV. 

I remember watching it. Kirk McLean was standing on his head. 

Canucks won 3-0 in the Old Forum. 

I remember not only because it was beating one of the toughest teams in the League. 

But the fans in Montreal, gave McLean a standing ovation. I thought that was the classiest thing I've ever seen. 

Not many will remember that game. Nice touch! 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 6string said:

Loui is a gifted placeholder because of his contract, I would love to see someone like MacEwen plastering bodies and chipping in with points as often as Eriksson does.

Ericksson is not a top 6 player and yet he plays there. Bottom line I suspect is the video resume in a hope to deal him. That said he is playing the best he has in 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Marky's turnaround coincided with Kelly Hrudeys comments last year on HNIC. "He will never be a starting goalie". I give Hrudey credit in that he owned up to it weeks later on air but what a stupid thing to say. I thought last night when Hrudey was commenting on Marky you could tell his previous comments were still in his head. Like he was picking his words carefully. Real, real happy for Marky. 

• Haha 2

Sorry but that wasn't playoff hockey or even close to it. The Rangers pushed thru most of the game and with any finish and they win walking away. 

The negatives:

Trevor Linden: Curious how Trevor isn't available any time there is a major event. Last night wasn't what it could be because he wasn't there. '94 was Linden and MacLean. 

The franchise has to make peace with Linden one way or the other.

D-zone: was often a fire drill as the NYR puck possession was constant. Canucks must have turned the puck half a dozen times on chip passes in the d-zone that were turned. I understand that the club wants to be a puck possession team but at certain points the play has to be up the boards and out. 

The positives:

Marky: His rep is growing to match his body. What a game as he pulls a Kirk MacLean. How many games has he won for his team this year? 

Canuck centers: 69% in the FO is outstanding. Combined with Marky it won the game. Puck possession is great defense.

Green: noticing that Green plays the top 6 a lot in the first 2 periods and then brings the 3rd line on more to close. Fresh legs against a more tired NYR team. Virtanen gets a few extra shifts. Green is showing interesting game management. 

Mott: Not sure how he could be used but I can see Virtanen playing more top 6 and Mott taking some shifts on the 3rd line. IMHO Mott is carrying the 4th line right now. 

The boys of '94 looked good last night. Patty was smiling. Best of health to Gino as he escaped near death from 2 years ago. I will never forget going to a Canuck game in the Saddledome when the Canucks were dragging along at the bottom. The only players who came to play that night were Trevor Linden and Gino Odjick. Many fans today don't realize that the Canuck ritual of turning away from physical play was well established before Gino. He single handedly to took on whole teams and they ran!  Absolutely no one on that '94 team had a bigger heart and desire to win than Trevor Linden. He is the best Canuck of all time. It will take a special player to unseat him.  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That was awesome.

For that last minute though, maybe the advanced stats guys can chime in, I was very happy with Horvat and Pearson to be out there.  But is there not a single other player they could have had out there other than Loui?  Loui has played well lately but in that last minute in my head I was thinking why not Roussel, or Miller, or Motte.  

Who are the top defensive guys on the team that play significant minutes. Some posters say Beagle has been getting lit up, but we must have a better option than Loui.

Although I know Loui's defensive game has always been a strength of his.  

Just curious.

So stoked with the 7th in a row win!!!!!!

I don't think you put players out in the last minute based on advanced stats. You put out the players you think will help you win the game based on how well their playing. Obviously he did a good job.

Edited by Gawdzukes

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think you put players out in the last minute based on advanced stats. You put out the players you think will help you win the game based on how well their playing. Obviously he did a good job.

For sure. I am by no means a fan of LE but he had a great defensive game last night, had his legs and mojo going. That's the guy I want on the ice in a close game with time ticking down. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sorry but that wasn't playoff hockey or even close to it. The Rangers pushed thru most of the game and with any finish and they win walking away. 

The negatives:

Trevor Linden: Curious how Trevor isn't available any time there is a major event. Last night wasn't what it could be because he wasn't there. '94 was Linden and MacLean. 

The franchise has to make peace with Linden one way or the other.

D-zone: was often a fire drill as the NYR puck possession was constant. Canucks must have turned the puck half a dozen times on chip passes in the d-zone that were turned. I understand that the club wants to be a puck possession team but at certain points the play has to be up the boards and out. 

The positives:

Marky: His rep is growing to match his body. What a game as he pulls a Kirk MacLean. How many games has he won for his team this year? 

Canuck centers: 69% in the FO is outstanding. Combined with Marky it won the game. Puck possession is great defense.

Green: noticing that Green plays the top 6 a lot in the first 2 periods and then brings the 3rd line on more to close. Fresh legs against a more tired NYR team. Virtanen gets a few extra shifts. Green is showing interesting game management. 

Mott: Not sure how he could be used but I can see Virtanen playing more top 6 and Mott taking some shifts on the 3rd line. IMHO Mott is carrying the 4th line right now. 

The boys of '94 looked good last night. Patty was smiling. Best of health to Gino as he escaped near death from 2 years ago. I will never forget going to a Canuck game in the Saddledome when the Canucks were dragging along at the bottom. The only players who came to play that night were Trevor Linden and Gino Odjick. Many fans today don't realize that the Canuck ritual of turning away from physical play was well established before Gino. He single handedly to took on whole teams and they ran!  Absolutely no one on that '94 team had a bigger heart and desire to win than Trevor Linden. He is the best Canuck of all time. It will take a special player to unseat him.  

I don't have a link but I read a Canucks release in the GDT that said Trevor had a previous important (health/charity?) engagement but he is definitely in the plans moving forward, notably the Sedin retirement party in Feb, and another 50 years event. Ring of honor maybe.

34 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No that part was fine. I couldn't get on CDC.

But there are folks who just watch on the computer.

I see. I did read your additional comments. Great game. Cheers I'm a long time reader so I have a lot of respect for what you bring to the forum.

By the way ... who is that Ghostsof1994 impostor? ::D

Go Canucks! :canucks:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1