Sign in to follow this  
janisahockeynut

Value of Trading for Jordan Greenway (Discussion)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi All......Happy New Year!

 

Hey, one of the things I think the Canucks could really use is a real big heavy body on the Forward lines.

 

One of the guys that plays 3rd line in Minnesota is Jordan Greenway...……..6'6" 225 lbs......

 

My info on his is that he is a good skater....he has progressed in points every year 15 points in 40 games this year....60 minutes in penalties

 

Just looking for your thoughts and what his value might be

Edited by janisahockeynut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Boeser for Greenway and Zucker :bigblush:

 

On a serious note, we have enough middling guys. If we aren't targeting sure fire top 6ers I say pass. Our bottom 6 is clean af right now. Top 6 could use another weapon. Greenway wouldn't fill that role. 

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with Leivo and Ferland and Sutter coming back at some point we have some heavy 3rd line scoring.  If we are to make a move I would only want a playmaker.  We have a lot of shooters but few real playmakers.  Other than that we should stand pat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guerin wants to trade a winger to open up a spot for Kaprisov.  Their roster is crowded for next season.  

 

Don't think Greenway is the one they necessarily want to move because he has size and they are rather small on the wings.  His line with ErikssonEk and Kunin has also been a solid shutdown line for the Wild.   They could elevate Foligno but he has only 1 year left while Greenway is only 22 and a RFA.  It just doesn't make much sense to move him unless they think he is too inconsistent and won't improve.  He can be lazy at times and doesn't always use his size well but he's only 22.  He also doesn't open up a spot for Kaprisov.  

 

Kaprisov is top-6 wing.  Parise and Zuccarello have NMCs and Fiala has been their most dynamic player which would leave Zucker as odd man out.  


They are obviously not looking for wingers or Ds - their D-corps seems set with Guerin calling them one of the best in the league.  

 

Goaltending is an issue.  Wild is one of the best teams at limiting quality chances against but have one of the worst save percentage.  They need young top-6 Cs.  Koivu (C2) is 36, Staal (C1) is 35.  They need to find their replacements or more likely draft them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi All......Happy New Year!

 

Hey, one of the things I think the Canucks could really use is a real big heavy body on the Forward lines.

 

One of the guys that plays 3rd line in Minnesota is Jordan Greenway...……..6'6" 225 lbs......

 

My info on his is that he is a good skater....he has progressed in points every year 15 points in 40 games this year....60 minutes in penalties

 

Just looking for your thoughts and what his value might be

...and why would they trade him???  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Canucks already have a gluttony of fwds and there is no way Minnesota is going to

 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Boeser for Greenway and Zucker :bigblush:

 

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think with Leivo and Ferland and Sutter coming back at some point we have some heavy 3rd line scoring.  

 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Guerin wants to trade a winger to open up a spot for Kaprisov.  Their roster is crowded for next season

 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

...and why would they trade him???  

 

So the reason for asking, and that is what I am doing, as I want your opinions, is that Greenway is a rare commodity, in that he skates well, and plays 3rd line at 22 years of age.

 

Being that size, enables someone to respond to the Wilson, Kassians, Reeves, Hathaway's of the league, and still can play a regular shift, and can also grow with the team. No waiting to grow our own, or picking up projects, etc.....

 

IMO, as we have Hoglander and Podkolzin, and most likely a few others, it will be imperative to have a team, that can play multiple ways..aka, finesse, or heavy, or speed, etc...

 

I honestly do not see us keeping the "glut" of forwards, because A) there is not enough room going forward, and B) some are too expensive. Greenway also has a couple years in the league as well, so some of the development is there

 

I don't know, it was a question, and there is a cost to it, but sometimes a depth guy, can add something to a team, that they don't have. I see Greenway as a possible answer to that problem...…..

 

What I do not want the Canucks and Benning to do, is to fall in love with all the players we have now...aka Leivo, Motte, etc and not want continue, by any other means than the draft......sometimes it will just be a good, and fair hockey trade...………...

 

The answer to your question Kanukfantastic is because they may need something even more than Greenway...….aka a young goalie......hey maybe not! But maybe he is what we need...….maybe it is not Greenway, but someone other than him that can earn meaningful minutes and still be a physical deterrent  

 

It is not a proposal...it is a question, and I want to know why we should, more than why we should not...………..unless there is a whole lot of red flags I don't know about.

 

In the end, does someone like him improve the team? Not all players have to be 1st or 2nd line.

 

 

Edited by janisahockeynut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm the Wild I'm penciling Greenway as a future core piece. 

 

So exactly which of our own core would you be willing to part with in exchange? 

 

Yeah, that's what I thought.   

 

We ain't getting team 'x' core piece for our injured spare parts despite the 20-odd threads indicating such on CDC.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If I'm the Wild I'm penciling Greenway as a future core piece. 

 

So exactly which of our own core would you be willing to part with in exchange? 

 

Yeah, that's what I thought.   

 

We ain't getting team 'x' core piece for our injured spare parts despite the 20-odd threads indicating such on CDC.  

What are you on about......yes he is valuable and no he won't come for chump change......but he is a rare find

But the question, would he be of interest to us, and why?

Do you have those answers?

Because no one gave a proposal here...……………..??????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

What are you on about......yes he is valuable and no he won't come for chump change......but he is a rare find

But the question, would he be of interest to us, and why?

Do you have those answers?

Because no one gave a proposal here...……………..??????????

You asked for his value,  I clearly gave it to you.  Core piece.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ZACK Mac attack could be(could be) the piece your looking for. Plus he’s already a baby Canuck. Showed some promise in that roll in his last call up. 
 

I have not watched a lot of Greenway with Minnesota other than when they play the Canucks. Good speed, definitely has size, good shot, can’t remember much about his play making abilities. But I always though his hockey sense was a little week. 
 

it’s so hard to put even a ballpark price on a rare commodity. 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I've seen him and he does compete fairly hard sometimes.  I've also seen him get whooped by Darnell "Oscar" Nurse 

I guess I don't know enough about him to comment, just two or three games that I've watched the Wild this year.  

He's already got a 12 goal season as a 21 year old, so that's pretty good.  

Edited by VancouverHabitant
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need that size n physicality in our lineup but I would see where we are with Ferland first, followed by MacEwen.

 

I'm surprised by Minnesota's record to date, I thought they would be bottom feeders in the central.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 6string said:

We need that size n physicality in our lineup but I would see where we are with Ferland first, followed by MacEwen.

 

I'm surprised by Minnesota's record to date, I thought they would be bottom feeders in the central.

Me too!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John McClane said:

The ZACK Mac attack could be(could be) the piece your looking for. Plus he’s already a baby Canuck. Showed some promise in that roll in his last call up. 
 

I have not watched a lot of Greenway with Minnesota other than when they play the Canucks. Good speed, definitely has size, good shot, can’t remember much about his play making abilities. But I always though his hockey sense was a little week. 
 

it’s so hard to put even a ballpark price on a rare commodity. 

I thought about Zac and somewhat tried to compare him in Greenway

Thing is Greenway is a regular and fast...plays on the 3rd line

Zac plays in Utica...…...

I could be wrong, but I think we are talking about 2 different talent levels

I also agree to a lesser degree that his IQ maybe a little weak, but that is why he is 3rd line

If he had IQ to go with his other intangibles….he would be 1st line...maybe????

I appreciate your imput...thanks

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the info I am getting, I am understanding we don't have a lot of info on him, but to be honest, most are liking him

 

As for cost, you don't get something of value for nothing.....totally understand that......

 

and I am not sure Minni would even consider trading him, so it would have to be good...…..

 

Where is Coastalview when you need him....????

 

I was thinking something along Demko, Madden and ?????

 

(this is not a proposal, just trying to starting to put some value of player towards the discussion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Canucks already have a gluttony of fwds and there is no way Minnesota is going to want to take back any of the spare forward parts unless the Canucks throw in a draft pick.

 

I want Benning to just stand pat. This team is still in rebuilding mode IMO. 

I was kind of hoping he’d still sell some spare parts like Sutter, Leivo and maybe even Stetcher. Two of those guys are likely to walk this offseason and we’ve already adapted with them out of the lineup anyway. Having MacEwan up with the team works for me. Cycle older guys out and make room for some of the kids while collecting picks in the process.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greenway hasn't been playing particularly well lately.  He was given a try on the top line in Zucker's absence but has now been moved down to the 4th line, having lost his spot on the 3rd line to Foligno.

 

This was Boudreau's quote after tonight's game via Russo:  “I hate to use the word intensity, so I’ll use the word consistency. That’s what we talk about (with Greenway). When he’s a mean player every night, he’s really, really good. When he’s not, he’s average.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.