The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How a Deportation Taught EP to Take Nothing for Granted

Rate this topic

Down by the River

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

JB sure selects character guys.  EP40 oozes goodness.   Great talent and hockey player.  But an even better human being full of compassion.

I love that he is this way, but then when he steps on the ice, if you do something to rub him the wrong way, a real mean streak comes out. He wants to get you back. Shows that you can be a decent person yet still fiercely competitive.  

• Upvote 2

That hit me hard in the feels.  Thank you for sharing it....I love stories that really give us a feel of what our players are like off the ice.

To experience this as a young man must have been confusing as well as devastating.  Learning hard life lessons really takes away some of the innocence of being young and forces us to grow up and observe the world as something more than just magical and good.  The harsh realities that we just oblivious to as we are generally shield from them as kids.

To lose close friends like that at an early age is horrible...especially when they are stripped away without warning or any chance to prepare for it.

EP's such a great young man full of integrity and character and this just emphasizes it (along with his pal, Brock and others on the team who all seem to have family values firmly intact).

I'm glad this had a happy ending.  Welcome to EP's extended family - hope Canada treated you well and you come back and visit again soon.

(Weird...I'd typed that EP oozes good character then erased it...just read the comment above.  It's obvious that it's true!)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

That hit me hard in the feels.  Thank you for sharing it....I love stories that really give us a feel of what our players are like off the ice.

To experience this as a young man must have been confusing as well as devastating.  Learning hard life lessons really takes away some of the innocence of being young and forces us to grow up and observe the world as something more than just magical and good.  The harsh realities that we just oblivious to as we are generally shield from them as kids.

To lose close friends like that at an early age is horrible...especially when they are stripped away without warning or any chance to prepare for it.

EP's such a great young man full of integrity and character and this just emphasizes it (along with his pal, Brock and others on the team who all seem to have family values firmly intact).

I'm glad this had a happy ending.  Welcome to EP's extended family - hope Canada treated you well and you come back and visit again soon.

(Weird...I'd typed that EP oozes good character then erased it...just read the comment above.  It's obvious that it's true!)

This story is one of the reasons I believe Petey felt bad when Dahlen were treated as bad as he was.

I hope you understand why I took such a hard stand against both Bennings words and fans behaviour. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I generally shy away from making the best player my favourite, as I don't like picking the "obvious" one or the one that's the same as the majority, but I think it might be too hard here. Petey is such an incredible character guy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Dahlen was not treated bad , he felt entitled and didnt earn his keep. 

So? A child is still a child til they know what life is about.

You still have that opinion due to Bennings moronic words. 

I only hope that Benning has learnt his lesson now... 

• Wat 3

48 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Casually wearing a thousand dollar hoodie and was photographed walking into the game wearing a 100k watch.

He truly is becoming Peter Forsberg. 

Lol. Their tshirts are even 450 bucks US. Its hilarious.  

Life is full of hard lessons.

My father was a teenager in Holland during WWII. He was playing pool with his good buddy in the local pub when the SS came in. They took his buddy away and took my dad into the middle of the street outside the Pub and proceeded to make an example of what happens to good Dutch Folk for being friends with a Jew. My dad came away with a Broken nose and a severe hatred for anything German. Dad never saw his buddy again. It was a defining moment for him. At 17 he served in the Dutch army instead of his older brother and became the Division Boxing Champion, he was not a small kid. My dad was the kindest man I knew, but nobody messed with him. He was my Hero.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great article!

You could already tell he had a great character, but this only confirms it.  We have a gem here. 

I have to add, I'm very pleased to see how he respected Jason Botchford, and his work. I'll never understand why a "fan's reporter" not afraid to speak truth to ownership, was so trolled on a fan's message board. RIP Jason.

Good Read. Glad they were able to get them back from Armenia after 60+ days in Limbo... they must have been really loved in the community that they even had protests over it.

That being said, I'm not sure how this of all things taught Elias not take things for granted. I'm sure he was shook but the hardship he endured over this must have been 1% of what that family went through. 

If anything, deportation taught the family not to take things for granted lol

Good on Petey on bringing them to van :)