The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need some advice from CDC's stoners

Rate this topic

JM_

So I've been asked to be part of a new edibles venture but I have no practical first hand experience with it at all. I was hoping the baked among you could help me with understanding edibles a little bit better and help me with a couple of questions:

1. Is the dosage limit of a 10mg dose a lot? is it a small amount for a regular user?

2. How much would you pay for an edible product? e.g., would $3 for a cookie with 10mg be a good deal or expensive? 

Thanks for your help.

10mg is not a lot for /my/ tolerance and psychophysiology and past experience with thc, but there are people who would be quite knocked down by even that much in edibles, imo. I haven't had an edible in a long time, but I tend to go up to and over 300mg without a problem... but I am not going to tell you that this is something everyone can do and have a good time with--because that would be lying. :p Most seasoned stoners would consider 10mg nothing, sure--but that doesn't mean it can't have intense effects for some. The first time I smoked was comparable to a mushroom trip, and I don't recall having more than half a joint for it.

I pay $20 for my 300mg chocolates in Vancouver, although I haven't looked for anywhere else that sells them and so wouldn't be able to tell you whether this is fair price.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 2
15 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

10mg is not much, that's a very low amount for a dosage limit. I've bought cookies that have 150mg.

$3 for a 10mg cookie is not expensive, that's very affordable.

the current reg's limit each packaged product to 10! that must have been one heck of a cookie. Thx for your experience. 

10 minutes ago, 112 said:

10mg is not a lot for /my/ tolerance and psychophysiology and past experience with thc, but there are people who would be quite knocked down by even that much in edibles, imo. I haven't had an edible in a long time, but I tend to go up to and over 300mg without a problem... but I am not going to tell you that this is something everyone can do and have a good time with--because that would be lying. :p Most seasoned stoners would consider 10mg nothing, sure--but that doesn't mean it can't have intense effects for some. The first time I smoked was comparable to a mushroom trip, and I don't recall having more than half a joint for it.

I pay $20 for my 300mg chocolates in Vancouver, although I haven't looked for anywhere else that sells them and so wouldn't be able to tell you whether this is fair price.

thanks for this. Yeah it seems like the government went for a low number out of the gate... but I suppose its very hard to know how much is good for one person vs another.

The pricing seems all over the map as well, its very hard to know where to set it, but thats not really going to be my end of this if I decide to join this group. I'm the boring regulatory guy in the office with no windows. 

Just now, Baer. said:

$3 for 10mg in cookie form is quite reasonable, if your target consumers are light to medicinal-only users.

I think thats the target - the recreational and light medicinal use folks. I'm not able to say exactly what the idea is but thats the target market for sure. 

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So I've been asked to be part of a new edibles venture but I have no practical first hand experience with it at all. I was hoping the baked among you could help me with understanding edibles a little bit better and help me with a couple of questions:

1. Is the dosage limit of a 10mg dose a lot? is it a small amount for a regular user?

2. How much would you pay for an edible product? e.g., would $3 for a cookie with 10mg be a good deal or expensive? 

Thanks for your help.

10mg isn't much, my wife usually has a 10-20mg edible and that's fine for her, but she doesn't endulge very often. I would say 10mg is fine for a first timer, and if after an hour nothing's really happening, maybe take another one. I'm usually good with around 80-100mg, but I endulge in the beautiful smoke every day.

• Cheers 1
20 minutes ago, 112 said:

yeah but you're probably not 5'1, 105lbs and ingesting for the 1st time

Probably not.  I haven't had (legal)edibles yet though, last time was probably 20 years ago.  I got @#$%ed but didn't like the body stone aspect - felt like my back was seizing up.

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

10mg isn't much, my wife usually has a 10-20mg edible and that's fine for her, but she doesn't endulge very often. I would say 10mg is fine for a first timer, and if after an hour nothing's really happening, maybe take another one. I'm usually good with around 80-100mg, but I endulge in the beautiful smoke every day.

I know its not a great comparison, but it sounds like 10mg is something akin to a glass of wine. Ones enough for a newbie, but for others its nothing. 

The pricing is tough, you couldn't target newbies and regular users with the same product, it would be cost prohibitive I think. 

Interesrting stuff, thanks. 

Unfortunately for you, Jimmy, I can't offer any advice because I haven't paid for the stuff in almost 20 years.

$3 seems like a rip off to me, 10mg is like SFA.

I make an infused olive oil that packs about 30mg per tbsp. Everything but the olive oil is basically free.

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Unfortunately for you, Jimmy, I can't offer any advice because I haven't paid for the stuff in almost 20 years.

$3 seems like a rip off to me, 10mg is like SFA.

I make an infused olive oil that packs about 30mg per tbsp. Everything but the olive oil is basically free.

damn Island hippie, I bet you had moonshiners in your family tree too.

Thats actually really useful info tho, thanks. I think a lot of people will choose to just make their own. What I'm trying to figure out is if there's really enough of a luxury market out there, that consists  of low dosage users. My gut says it will have to be a foofie premium type thing tailored to West Van types. I can't trust the marketing guys, they will say anything. I've spent the last few work days going over the regulations and its pretty boilerplate but I don't really have a sense of the customers but I think you've raised a good point. 

the reg's limit 10mg per packaged product, so e.g., if you wanted to sell 100mg worth of cookie it would have to be in 10 separate packages. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thanks for your help.

10 mg is like one big toke of a joint  ,  3 dollar cookies are about right but you can get 10mg gummies for about that price as well  , just depends if you want eat a whole cookie to get a buzz or one gummy

• Cheers 1
6 minutes ago, the grinder said:

10 mg is like one big toke of a joint  ,  3 dollar cookies are about right but you can get 10mg gummies for about that price as well  , just depends if you want eat a whole cookie to get a buzz or one gummy

yeah thats sort of what the idea is based on, a quality treat along with the buzz, vs something thats more like a kids candy. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thanks for your help.

Different strokes for different fokes, everyone has a different tolerance, 10 mg is a super low doze like most people are saying here, not even comparable to a glass of wine like someone said.  100-300mg is probably normal for regular users. I have never found eatables to be effective for me other then some old school brownies but who knows what level the mg levels were at. I have not even found that the smoke at the pot shops are nearly as good as the smoke I get from my guy.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

damn Island hippie, I bet you had moonshiners in your family tree too.

Thats actually really useful info tho, thanks. I think a lot of people will choose to just make their own. What I'm trying to figure out is if there's really enough of a luxury market out there, that consists  of low dosage users. My gut says it will have to be a foofie premium type thing tailored to West Van types. I can't trust the marketing guys, they will say anything. I've spent the last few work days going over the regulations and its pretty boilerplate but I don't really have a sense of the customers but I think you've raised a good point. 

the reg's limit 10mg per packaged product, so e.g., if you wanted to sell 100mg worth of cookie it would have to be in 10 separate packages. 

Why $3 each? The more I think about it the less sense it makes.

I've made lots of edibles over the years, and because the THC comes from trim and unmarketable bottom buds, the active ingredients are free, you only really need to cover food cost and labour.

If these guys are actually buying quality herb to cook with, all I can do is shake my head, because that makes no goddam sense to me.

• Upvote 2