The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] - Nashville “Open” for Business

Recently Nashville GM David Poile stated that for the first time in many years Nashville could be sellers at the trade deadline.  The one interesting player might be Mikael Granlund who once had 69 points with Minnesota but has extremely under performed since joining Nashville.  Could this be a value pickup if he is able to regain his form?  He is 27 years old and a pending UFA and if he is able to find his game could be a good add to our top 6.  Maybe there are others on their team who might be of interest?

1999171962_ScreenShot2020-01-07at4_15_02PM.thumb.png.9eb64e2185922520f3860dbfe6ce4b61.png

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

sign and trade:bigblush:

Nashville is better off waiting for free agency.  They are not a goalie away.  Poile referenced their 1st period vs Anaheim in his press conference.  Heres' the shot map - Juice is Saros:

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Something smells bad in Nashville.  Awful lot of underachievers on that team.

I couldn’t agree more but does that mean that there is potential value in underperforming players and a good opportunity?

Canucks have no cap space to make a move.  Nashville is not going to take on a cap dump with term to make it work.  They are not going to limit their cap for next season.  

CapFriendly shows the Canucks with $30'474.-  as end of season cap space.  That's what they have to cover the performance bonuses of Hughes and Pettersson - any excess will carry over and count against next season's cap.  Pettersson and Hughes look well on their way to hit their A targets - a combined 1.7M.   Ferland coming off LTIR should help increase that amount but there will likely still be a carry over.  They need to shed cap before being able to make an add.  

Also Poile talks of being sellers if they are out of the playoffs.  They made the move today to get their team back on track.  He talks of how there are several individuals not playing to their potential.  He says players also have to take responsibility for the firing.  He says if he notices anyone underachieving because they are too comfortable he'll make a move.  

• Upvote 1

Nashville reminds me of my EA teams, loaded with talent but don't sim well. Lol. Granlund is interesting. Arvidsson would be a great RW option to round out Bo and Pearson. Doubt they move on from him though. Friendly contract, all heart player. Subban may be a bit of a joke in some eyes but he was a pretty big loss for Nashville. He ate minutes on that blueline and expecting a young rookie to fill those shoes is a tough ask.

I'd negotiate hard for Arvidsson, maybe Forsberg but that's a huge ask and they'd be fools to move him. Arvidsson is really what I hope Hoglander can become. Undersized but has lots of heart and talent. Can play either wing but being right handed he'd fit nicely with the 2nd line imo.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Something smells bad in Nashville.  Awful lot of underachievers on that team.

Read somewheres that too much 'Twang' in music can precipitate a debilitating onset of psychosomatic symptoms. Laborious studies into the life of Willie Nelson suggests a possible medicinal treatment(albeit punctuated by lengthy bus touring).

Sadly David Poile is SO outa' touch he's yet to realize Nashville has a distinctive musical style.

Their very culture is undermining the efforts of these fine young men. Ship'em out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Poile's the next to go now that Laviolette is gone. I can't see any player on the team being untouchable.

Nashville still has a team because of Poile.  The Predators nearly relocated if not for him.  He got local businessmen to buy the franchise from Leipold who wanted to sell the team.  Doubt they'd want to replace him.  

Josi is for sure untouchable - Poile said it was the most important contract he ever signed and that discussions went way beyond just contract negotiations.  They touched on direction of the franchise and plans for the future.   Probably Ellis, Ekholm and Fabbro too.  Poile says it's just so difficult to find Ds.  

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Nashville reminds me of my EA teams, loaded with talent but don't sim well. Lol. Granlund is interesting. Arvidsson would be a great RW option to round out Bo and Pearson. Doubt they move on from him though. Friendly contract, all heart player. Subban may be a bit of a joke in some eyes but he was a pretty big loss for Nashville. He ate minutes on that blueline and expecting a young rookie to fill those shoes is a tough ask.

I'd negotiate hard for Arvidsson, maybe Forsberg but that's a huge ask and they'd be fools to move him. Arvidsson is really what I hope Hoglander can become. Undersized but has lots of heart and talent. Can play either wing but being right handed he'd fit nicely with the 2nd line imo.

Nashville is not looking to dismantle their franchise.  UFAs will be available if they are out of the playoffs as well as guys who don't play with heart.  Not sure that's players you want to go after.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville is not looking to dismantle their franchise.  UFAs will be available if they are out of the playoffs as well as guys who don't play with heart.  Not sure that's players you want to go after.  

If the price is right, sure. I am not against UFAs like most. If they are only offering up UFAs then they can forget about asking for Hoglander and Podkolzin and every young player on the roster. To not even ask or negotiate because of some inherent hate towards UFAs isn't particularly intelligent, but to each their own. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville still has a team because of Poile.  The Predators nearly relocated if not for him.  He got local businessmen to buy the franchise from Leipold who wanted to sell the team.  Doubt they'd want to replace him.  

That may be, but if they miss the playoffs, or don't go very far, he'll eventually take the hit.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Josi is for sure untouchable - Poile said it was the most important contract he ever signed and that discussions went way beyond just contract negotiations.  They touched on direction of the franchise and plans for the future.   Probably Ellis, Ekholm and Fabbro too.  Poile says it's just so difficult to find Ds.  

We'll see. Gretzky, at one point, was untouchable.

I have a hard time believing Poile when he says it's difficult to find defensemen. Nashville has been pumping out great defensemen for years now. Weber, Suter, Josi, Ellis, Hamhuis. Maybe for other teams, it's difficult, but for Nashville? Bah!

• Upvote 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

If the price is right, sure. I am not against UFAs like most. If they are only offering up UFAs then they can forget about asking for Hoglander and Podkolzin and every young player on the roster. To not even ask or negotiate because of some inherent hate towards UFAs isn't particularly intelligent, but to each their own. 

I don't understand your last sentence.  Most teams try and sell their UFAs once they are out of the playoffs.  Why wouldn't Nashville do the same?  Poile talked of getting picks if they are out of the playoffs.  

I am just saying I doubt they'd want to move core players unless they are too comfortable and not playing with heart.  Trying and being snake bitten is not the same as not trying.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

I don't understand your last sentence.  Most teams try and sell their UFAs once they are out of the playoffs.  Why wouldn't Nashville do the same?  Poile talked of getting picks if they are out of the playoffs.  

I am just saying I doubt they'd want to move core players unless they are too comfortable and not playing with heart.  Trying and being snake bitten is not the same as not trying.  

You don't understand not negotiating with a team because they are only offering UFAs is unintelligent? I am not sure how to dumb that down anymore but I'll try. 

I do not care if they aren't offering up "core" players, if they are having a yard sale regardless of what they are selling I'd be interested in asking the price. And it doesn't hurt to ask about "core" players. Nobody is untradeable. Other GMs ask about players we'd consider off the table all the time.