The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] - Value of Michael Dipietro

19 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Why is it, that whenever we acquire any type of depth at any position, there's a certain element here that is immediately looking to diminish said depth?  And I'm not just talking about MDP. 

I've been saying this for a while now - this club doesn't have nearly the depth, at any position, that some people think it does. 

Marky leaving for personal reasons, and Demko sustaining a concussion are perfect examples of how quickly this so-called 'depth' can be erased. 

I mean, it makes the most sense to trade from a position of strength to strengthen a position of weakness. If we go by your planning we shouldn't trade at all, because we got depth why trade? We aren't deep in other places, why trade? Lol. Which I think doesn't make sense. Can't improve solely from drafting and free agents. If anything trades are more important than free agents. Unless we find a bunch of Dan Hamhuis' willing to take below market value to sign here.

With that said, with the expansion draft looming I'd be hesitant to trade a goalie. Unless we plan on drafting a goalie with our 2nd or 3rd rounder this summer to fill that hole DiPietro would leave.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, it makes the most sense to trade from a position of strength to strengthen a position of weakness. If we go by your planning we shouldn't trade at all, because we got depth why trade? We aren't deep in other places, why trade? Lol. Which I think doesn't make sense. Can't improve solely from drafting and free agents. If anything trades are more important than free agents. Unless we find a bunch of Dan Hamhuis' willing to take below market value to sign here.

With that said, with the expansion draft looming I'd be hesitant to trade a goalie. Unless we plan on drafting a goalie with our 2nd or 3rd rounder this summer to fill that hole DiPietro would leave.

Where exactly did I say 'my planning' was not trade at all?  I was more specifically referring to the element on CDC, and there are a LOT of them, that are suggesting we trade guys like Hoglander/MDP/Lind/Gajo/ect....for guys like Toffoli, or Jenner, or whomever else is some aging veteran on an inflated contract, or worse - an expiring contract.  Those are the type of trades, at this point in the franchise, that I am COMPLETELY against.  If someone proposed a deal which offered our prospect 'A' for their prospect 'A', and the age, value, potential, contract status was all comparable, but we were looking to acquire a prospect in a position we were weaker at, then fine - I got little issue with that.  But I do have an issue with suggesting we trade Hoglander for Toffoli or anything remotely close to that kind of trade for our franchise right now. 

9 hours ago, mll said:

His agent did explain.  He wanted to play more but they had a goalie rotation and it led to tension - lots of little things that kept on building up.  His agent described Ingram as someone that sometimes says things he shouldn't.  He says it's Ingram that asked to go to the ECHL telling Syracuse that if they weren't going to play him he preferred going there.  His agent thinks that Tampa did the right thing by demoting him.

Ingram has been sharing the net with Grosenick in Milwaukee - 19 starts each.  Milwaukee is the top team in the Central and he's been named to the AHL All-star game this season too.  

I really like your response. But it was less structured, more under the surface than your description. And this agent's description? It was after articles like the following were written? He was leading the AHL in save % at the time of his demotion. Although this 2knd article acknowledges the rotation. If anything it suggests they were unhappy with Ingram, in spite of playing well, creating the circumstance where he was being rotated; ''The curious case of Connor Ingram?" 

https://theathletic.com/879236/2019/03/20/behind-the-mysterious-demotion-of-top-lightning-goalie-prospect-connor-ingram/

http://insideahlhockey.com/article/the-curious-case-of-connor-ingram

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/3/28/ahl-on-the-road-the-strange-connor-ingram-situation

YES, IT IS STRANGE
Let’s cut to the chase – the Tampa Bay Lightning-Connor Ingram situation has grown increasingly strange (caught in the middle of it all are the Syracuse Crunch, as legitimate a Calder Cup contender as any AHL team, and the ECHL’s Orlando Solar Bears).

To recap Ingram’s past three months: in an excellent 40-save road effort against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on December 21st, he sustained a lower-body injury that kept him out of the Syracuse line-up for the next five weeks. Fortunately for the Crunch, they had a reliable option in Eddie Pasquale, and other than a brief dip in January, they kept on plowing forward.

Ingram then returned on January 26th and played seven of Syracuse’s next 10 games. He put up a .918 save percentage in those games and even tossed in a pair of shutouts. He also was part of the Syracuse contingent at the AHL All-Star Classic at the end of January. However, after a February 18th road game against the Toronto Marlies, he made only one appearance thereafter, a relief effort for Pasquale on February 26th. The following weekend he was a healthy scratch through an entire 3-in-3 set. Martin Ouellette took his place in the Syracuse line-up after being recalled from Orlando, Tampa Bay’s ECHL affiliate, on February 28th. The day after that 3-in-3 weekend, March 4th, Ouellette was returned to Orlando.

Some eyebrows had already been raised. After all, much of this came amid the NHL Trade Deadline on February 25th and the AHL roster deadline on that same March 4th. Still, everything comes under even closer scrutiny around those deadlines.

But from there is where the saga went into overdrive, particularly in a month in which the Crunch had already embarked on a stretch of 16 games in 30 days.

On March 6th, the Lightning demoted Ingram to Orlando and recalled Ouellette. Lightning general manager Julien BriseBois told Syracuse Post-Standard beat writer Lindsay Kramer that the decision to send Ingram to Orlando was an “internal matter.”

Quite worth noting amid all of this is that Ingram had been an AHL All-Star five weeks earlier in addition to ranking first in the AHL in save percentage (.922), second in goals-against average (2.26), and first in shutouts (six) on the day that he was sent to Orlando

In any case?

I dont believe just because Tampa had a poor relationship with Connor Ingram. That DiPietro would also be worth fodder in a trade?

Nor do I agree with the OP, that there is a mountain of momentum by which we can get a premium for Dipietro. Or that we should? I certainly don't believe it is JB's style to trade a prospect.  We took years developing Thatcher Demko. For that matter, Jacob Markstrom. For all the angst in Vancouver, we have shown similar patience with Jake Virtanen. Patience!

I fully expect us to do the same with DiPietro. Who is on a logical succession plan to cover circumstance surrounding Seattle expansion. That is about the time I would envision him being ''NHL ready'' if all goes to plan, and its on its way...

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

In any case?

I dont believe just because Tampa had a poor relationship with Connor Ingram. That DiPietro would also be worth fodder in a trade?

Nor do I agree with the OP, that there is a mountain of momentum by which we can get a premium for Dipietro. Or that we should? I certainly don't believe it is JB's style to trade a prospect.  We took years developing Thatcher Demko. For that matter, Jacob Markstrom. For all the angst in Vancouver, we have shown similar patience with Jake Virtanen. Patience!

I fully expect us to do the same with DiPietro. Who is on a logical succession plan to cover circumstance surrounding Seattle expansion. That is about the time I would envision him being ''NHL ready'' if all goes to plan, and its on its way...

Thanks for posting the articles.  Interesting comments by Groulx - seems like Ingram was not quite ready to take their advice. It sounds like they were trying to get him to buy in and he wasn't responding and it came to an impasse.

I doubt Benning wants to move DiPietro.  So much can collapse along the way.  The Blues luckily for them had Binnington to take over from Allen and Johnson.  SJS thought they had their long term starter in Jones.  

On 1/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, mll said:

Goalie prospect Connor Ingram who was an AHL all-star for the Crunch got traded for a 7th round pick.  

And Lack who was a fan favourite and had very good stats was traded to CAR for ... well it was so unmemorable that I can't remember if it was a 2 or a 3rd and a 7th.   And that was without the ED looming and teams dealing with their own issues with it.   He's going to stay - especially with us likely signing and protecting JM and Demko possibly going to Seattle.