The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 07, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I, and many others, posted about our poor d during our win streak. Many called us downers. Not all games were poor defensively but many were 

we play with zero d system and defensive discipline. Our coaching is terrible and when Marky is not there to cover up the bad play we are exposed 

this was a test tonight and we failed 

I will say it again, Green and his crew are not going to take this team to the next level 

We needed to play tight point defense, our sweeper on the forwards (or high man) needed to play lower and that would have drastically changed the offense of the Tampa Bay lightning. You don't give a skill team room to cycle and play with the puck. 

Absolutely no backup plan against these skill teams. We dominated them on the pk when we gave them no room and hilariously we decided to play passive defense against them the rest of the game haha. 

Markstrom needed to be elite to steal another game and we didn't get his normal performance so this team ultimately looked like a dumpster fire defensively. As most having watched and played the game for decades would easily be able to see was coming. 

And then on top of that you have guys literally giving up on plays and that's how you lose by a touchdown. 

Each Canucks goalie let in 3 goals per period (Markstrom 6, Demko 3). Terrible. I feel bad for Miller, so embarrassing to bring your new team into your old building and get stomped into oblivion. Back to reality I guess. I don't feel like the Canucks deserve to send 3 players to the ASG.

• Wat 3

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Each Canucks goalie let in 3 goals per period (Markstrom 6, Demko 3). Terrible. I feel bad for Miller, so embarrassing to bring your new team into your old building and get stomped into oblivion. Back to reality I guess. I don't feel like the Canucks deserve to send 3 players to the ASG.

I'm sure Hutton felt pretty bad too playing against us.

The ASG is not a team thing, it celebrates individuals. EP, Marky (despite this poor outing), and Quinn all are having seasons worthy of recognition.

It's an ugly loss which happens, but doesn't define our season and progression. Tampa is a good regular season team especially when they get going. There's a reason why they had an incredible record last season. We have blown teams out in similar fashion this year as well.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

small upside to yesterdays drubbing, Petey hits 20 goals.     

DlvlOPj.png

Another small upside is LE being rewarded with a goal with his nice little run on Horvat's line. While Pearson continues to quietly put up the points.

• Upvote 2

On 1/6/2020 at 10:57 PM, EdgarM said:

I love how the bantering back and forth is usually swayed by the team winning or losing here and there. Win a couple of games, Marky is going to take us to the promised land, lose a few, did we mention the "Tank" word. :lol:

We are still a team with players who are very new to the NHL and are still learning. I am sticking to the fact that I am more concerned with the progress of the team as opposed to our wins or losses. 

I was on the "fire Green" bandwagon as well because it appeared he had "lost the room" and players were mailing it in a lot of nights. Kudos to him for doing something to motivate them and throw in a little coaching strategy here and there as others have mentioned. Now he has a little win streak going. I am glad and I hope he can keep it up. 

If Bo can keep up to his "Captainlike" leadership he has displayed the last couple of games I am very happy for that as well. Maybe he was injured because he was not playing like himself for a long stretch there.

Anyway, we seemed to have weathered the injury storm there and hopefully we are injury free the rest of the way out. 

The next step would be for the young guys to get first hand experience as to what a playoff game looks like and we are well on our way to the continued progress of this team. 

I hope those that were preaching at the beginning of the year that we still needed this player or that player to be competitive can now see how much parity there is in this league and we have the tools to be successful right now. They just need a little more seasoning and the time to grow a little more as a team.

Good days are ahead for us as Canuck fans and it sure was a delight to see a little 90's back in the rink, it sure brought back some good memories. Bure and Linden should have been there for sure though.

This was a good post on the day, and even more so today, where there'll be a fair few disappointed fans....

its one game... and one game only. It will not change the fact we are doing far better this season than the previous 4 seasons... its a process...

Ouch...on to the next one... will be much more interesting to see, how they respond.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler was directly responsible for at least 5 of those goals ...either by taking a penalty or by giving away pizza's....Myers gave one of those up as well.

That was a big regression on Edler's part and the main reason we lost....not the goalies.

While he was having a good season, it is stuff like this were he starts screwing up and it just gets worse as the game goes on.

I can't wait until we get Joulevi and Rathbone or Rafferty up and play Edler as a #5 ...

Juolevi / Hughes

Myers /  Rafferty or Rathbone

Edler / Stecher

That is how it should look by sometime next year.... 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

1. This young team mentally broke down after that 4-2 goal. 

2. Bolts' forwards did a great job forechecking, forcing our D's to make mistakes/ busting their balls to cycle their puck in our zone.

3. Bolts' had way too many odd man opportunities (from either our D's mistakes or due to long outstretch pass allowed by our weak forechecking)

4. Our star forwards couldn't capitalize on our opportunities while the Bolts' capitalized on majority of their opportunities. 

5. They threw their bodies in front of us to block shots, we didn't block as many as we normally do. 

6. We didn't cover the men in front of the net, allowing their forwards to pounce on almost every rebounds there. 

7. We didn't throw as many hits as we normally do while the small Bolts' forwards tenaciously got under our skins (Johnson was a good example).

It feels so wrong to read some of the comments in this thread. 

I feel like I am being dumbed down by those that blame everything on our coaching/ D-system...

Only if hockey was as simple as they make it out to be... 

• Upvote 1

The Lightning are small, skilled and fast. Watching Loui try to keep up was cringe worthy at times, even though he scored lol

Let's face it, Tampa is a much better team. The Canucks have a ways to go before they can call themselves contenders on the same level.

There's an article in the paper today abotu Luke Schenn and his impact on Hughes. Nice article but I wonder why they printed that. Schenn only played a handful of games at the end of last season and was then left. Schenn went on in the article to say how much he loves Vancouver, the coaches, his former team mates etc. Makes me wonder if the hockey writers are trying to influence trying to get Schenn back here.