The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 07, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Then, why is so many talking about Marky having a bad game? 

Not sure anyone else noticed before the game. Markstrom was stretching out before puck drop, and he looked like he was in some discomfort. I'm not sure it would've mattered if Demko started, because he was bad as well. I also noticed when the puck did drop, the Canucks came out super slow, calculated, almost waiting for Tampa to pick up the pace, so they could keep pace with them. Maybe saving their energy for later in the game? (like that helped) Why didn't they come out guns a blazing and take it to the Lightning? Did they give Cooper's team a little too much respect here?

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

Smart, Brock's done squat since he was moved to his low spot on pp1.

Gaudette is more dangerous with his quick hands in close from the low spot.

Brock can go back to the half wall on the other unit.

A strong 2nd unit makes the 1st better, and being able to toss out either, keeps the other team guessing.

One of my biggest critiques of Green, is that he is far too predictable.

Other coaches, the real good ones, would pull this change off in real time, in game, so that it throws off the plans of the PK.

The ability, or inability to adjust in real time, and no, this does not include the line blender, is what separates the wheat from the chaff at the NHL level in coaching.

As we saw last night, any team that is able to stick handle absolutely owns this team's collapse system.

It's actually embarrassing to watch as a fan.

It's an effective system, sometimes, against the right opponents.

It is this inability to, or stubbornness not to change things up that will be Green's undoing in his tenure on this team.

That's one of the reasons a coaching vet would help green out a lot but I got roasted for that idea.......

Green suck and that 7-game winning streak hadn’t convinced me and others otherwise, but it’s good to see him hold Boeser accountable by demoting him.

There’s an elephant in the room in terms of Boeser’s effort level and overall play. He doesn’t have great IQ, makes poor decisions when pressured (watch him on the PP), doesn’t have that great shot he once had, etc. This would all be forgiven/forgotten to an extent if he showed he was really trying hard/skating, but he doesn’t do that. He floats worse than Kyle Wellwood. He’s always upright, stick on his knees, waiting for EP or Miller to do all the heavy work. Because he’s in that core group of 4 (EP, Hughes, Horvat), everyone gives him a free pass. Hopefully Green stays sticks with these lineups when it's game time so the message can get across. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

so Green demotes Boeser to the 3rd line , when all the players including Jake had a bad game?  I am not liking Boeser on the 2nd PP.  come on , why Boeser, at least he got a point and helped Petey score last night. Miller did nothing along with the rest of the crew.

When was the last time you’ve seen Boeser score on one of those wicked one-timers of his on the PP? Petey gets setup most of the times and Boeser’s shot is wasted. He needs an equal opportunity to let it rip, hence a spot on PP2 may help. It’s not a demotion, just an opportunity to get his goal-scoring going.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

I don't like it at all. what did Jake do last night that Boeser didn't? Boeser had the lone helper on Petey's goal . 

Probably just a wake up call... Green tried to split them up before, and fairly quickly reunited them...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Green suck and that 7-game winning streak hadn’t convinced me and others otherwise, but it’s good to see him hold Boeser accountable by demoting him.

There’s an elephant in the room in terms of Boeser’s effort level and overall play. He doesn’t have great IQ, makes poor decisions when pressured (watch him on the PP), doesn’t have that great shot he once had, etc. This would all be forgiven/forgotten to an extent if he showed he was really trying hard/skating, but he doesn’t do that. He floats worse than Kyle Wellwood. He’s always upright, stick on his knees, waiting for EP or Miller to do all the heavy work. Because he’s in that core group of 4 (EP, Hughes, Horvat), everyone gives him a free pass. Hopefully Green stays sticks with these lineups when it's game time so the message can get across. 

image.gif.336fb9e566c343bb2e1649a20616ea2d.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Every time I read a fan critique an NHL player's hockey IQ it makes me want to giggle 'til I vomit.

There's a popular saying "those who can't do, teach" and lots of times they're pretty good at it actually... Of course you have to have some experience but some of the best coaches I've had growing up didn't play the game but had outstanding iq for the game. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Woah! Your going to get some attention from the herd for that comment lol

pretty much most posters know I'm not a Brock fan....

heck I bring up trading him at almost every chance I get but I've seen the hustle from Brock for acouple games. 

I don't think it's his hockey IQ cause he knows where to go but I've said this before that he lacks foot speed , his rookie season he played on a team with the Sedins so we didn't notice his foot speed compared to those two and even Bo( his skating has come a long way but I think petey is faster and that's one of the reasons we are seeing holes in Brock's game)

I do agree a lot posters have rose coloured glasses when it comes to Brock but also Brock is the first top six winger we have had in a long time , I think the last forward we drafted that made a impact like Brock was bure, that just shows how starved Canucks fan have been....

Also I don't know if he still has that shot due to the surgeries his had......

but I can live with Brock on his deal right now it's the next one worries me....

• Upvote 1

Cooper apparently benched Kucherov recently, and this upset the Russian, but he came back motivated and has been playing well. I wonder if Green was trying this with Brock, trying to motivate him. Didn't work anyway.

I noticed something else during this game, when Jake side-swiped Palat (I think it was Palat?), and then both teams starting fuighting, pushing and shoving, getting into it near the benches. This was all a result of Jake's fly-by, but when the jostling started, Jake was away from that scrum, standing there looking pretty clueless, like he really didn't want to get involved in that stuff. Tanev was the one fighting back. Is Jake too nice, or is he afraid to tango with opponents? Horvat is the same. Being a captain, I figured he would bash heads of anyone took exception with one of his team mates, but he doesn't get involved in that stuff. Team needs more Roussels.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Cooper apparently benched Kucherov recently, and this upset the Russian, but he came back motivated and has been playing well. I wonder if Green was trying this with Brock, trying to motivate him. Didn't work anyway.

I noticed something else during this game, when Jake side-swiped Palat (I think it was Palat?), and then both teams starting fuighting, pushing and shoving, getting into it near the benches. This was all a result of Jake's fly-by, but when the jostling started, Jake was away from that scrum, standing there looking pretty clueless, like he really didn't want to get involved in that stuff. Tanev was the one fighting back. Is Jake too nice, or is he afraid to tango with opponents? Horvat is the same. Being a captain, I figured he would bash heads of anyone took exception with one of his team mates, but he doesn't get involved in that stuff. Team needs a Reeves.

Fixed :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I noticed something else during this game, when Jake side-swiped Palat (I think it was Palat?), and then both teams starting fuighting, pushing and shoving, getting into it near the benches. This was all a result of Jake's fly-by, but when the jostling started, Jake was away from that scrum, standing there looking pretty clueless, like he really didn't want to get involved in that stuff. Tanev was the one fighting back. Is Jake too nice, or is he afraid to tango with opponents? Horvat is the same. Being a captain, I figured he would bash heads of anyone took exception with one of his team mates, but he doesn't get involved in that stuff. Team needs more Roussels.

Yeah, the team is a little light on the pushback still. Too many players gleaned the pushback mentality from the Sedins.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Woah! Your going to get some attention from the herd for that comment lol

pretty much most posters know I'm not a Brock fan....

heck I bring up trading him at almost every chance I get but I've seen the hustle from Brock for acouple games. 

I don't think it's his hockey IQ cause he knows where to go but I've said this before that he lacks foot speed , his rookie season he played on a team with the Sedins so we didn't notice his foot speed compared to those two and even Bo( his skating has come a long way but I think petey is faster and that's one of the reasons we are seeing holes in Brock's game)

I do agree a lot posters have rose coloured glasses when it comes to Brock but also Brock is the first top six winger we have had in a long time , I think the last forward we drafted that made a impact like Brock was bure, that just shows how starved Canucks fan have been....

Also I don't know if he still has that shot due to the surgeries his had......

but I can live with Brock on his deal right now it's the next one worries me....

I honestly believe Brock's shot is gone because he's changed the speed/type of release. He used to do primarily snap shots and catch the goalie on their heels, but now he's consistently doing these wrist shots with long drags and his shot has become easy to telegraph. You know when he's shooting 90% of the time as where before it'd be on his stick and off it in a hurry. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

PP units in practice:

Gaudette-Horvat-Miller
Hughes-Pettersson

Pearson-Boeser-Roussel
Virtanen-Myers

Who’s supposed to win the draw on that second unit?

Or are we just assuming they’ll never have to take draws?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, the team is a little light on the pushback still. Too many players gleaned the pushback mentality from the Sedins.

As much as I would love to put all the blame ...

its not all their fault, Jim brought in abunch of pests and not a enforcer like reeves or Anderson...

I know the other guys were free but that's what this team is missing and it's going to cost to fix the problem