The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran Says It Unintentionally Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner

CBH1926

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Since Iran has owned up to it.... will they also own up financially?  

Could Canadians families impacted go and sue the Iranian regime?  

The missile operator will likely be prosecuted and Iran has to pay compensation for all those on board. There are protests in Tehran calling for resignation of Ayatollah Khamenei for not just this tragedy but also lies told to the public to coverup their mistakes.

There's still a lot we don't know:

Was the system automated? (ie was it supposed to be enabled and/or disabled?)

Why did the operators see the plane as a threat, when it was traveling away from Tehran?

One of the many aviation/military experts that have been on TV since the crash mentioned something that I hadn't heard before and haven't heard much about since:

He said that the Iranian military gave commercial aircraft a "window" for departures after they had bombed the American targets in Iraq. According to the expert (who's name I can't recall) the Ukrainian jet was "late" departing Khomeini Airport. While I certainly don't blame the airline for this, it seems as though it was a chain of poor decisions that led to this tragedy.

Now that Iran has admitted their "mistake", I really hope we get answers to all of these questions. The families of the victims deserve that much, at the very least.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There's still a lot we don't know:

Was the system automated? (ie was it supposed to be enabled and/or disabled?)

Why did the operators see the plane as a threat, when it was traveling away from Tehran?

One of the many aviation/military experts that have been on TV since the crash mentioned something that I hadn't heard before and haven't heard much about since:

He said that the Iranian military gave commercial aircraft a "window" for departures after they had bombed the American targets in Iraq. According to the expert (who's name I can't recall) the Ukrainian jet was "late" departing Khomeini Airport. While I certainly don't blame the airline for this, it seems as though it was a chain of poor decisions that led to this tragedy.

Now that Iran has admitted their "mistake", I really hope we get answers to all of these questions. The families of the victims deserve that much, at the very least.

System had to be on regardless of if it was one vehicle or entire battery. 
It is not autonomous, three man operate each SA 15 vehicles.

My guess is lack of training and experience plus expectation of being attacked.

Russians sold 29 units of SA 15 to Iran in 2007, they are the ones that trained them how to use it.

Russians also trained rebels in Crimea which accidentally shot down Malaysian aircraft using BUK system.

Also Russian trained Syrians that shot down Russian IL 18 airplane using S200.

In 2008 Iran repeatedly fired SA 15 and anti aircraft canon at their own drone, fighter jet and 2 civilian aircrafts, including one from Iraq.

This time it was because they were expecting Israeli attack on its nuclear facilities.

Also Israelis have been able to mimic flight pattern of civilian aircraft, that’s how they bombed Iran in 2007.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don't see what options trudeau has really. He has already condemned Iran for bombing US bases, whatever that counts for. Iran is already sanctioned, we don't trade with them, other than military assault there is nothing Canada can really do.

I think it goes to show that we shouldn't trust Iran as far as we can throw them. They repeatedly denied it was hit by a missile, then when Canada said it was as missile, Iran wanted us to supply proof. Now that the gig is up they admit it. Frustrating.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I don't see what options trudeau has really. He has already condemned Iran for bombing US bases, whatever that counts for. Iran is already sanctioned, we don't trade with them, other than military assault there is nothing Canada can really do.

I think it goes to show that we shouldn't trust Iran as far as we can throw them. They repeatedly denied it was hit by a missile, then when Canada said it was as missile, Iran wanted us to supply proof. Now that the gig is up they admit it. Frustrating.

Plus he has already sent consular officials to Turkey to meet with Iranian officials so visas can be issued. 

• Cheers 1