The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran Says It Unintentionally Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Iran has recovered both black boxes and will not release them to Boeing or anyone else

This could have been a mechanical issue of some sort, but you gain fear leverage by making everything think it was a planned incident (without outwardly saying as such).

Terrorist groups take credit for things they don't do because it gives them power, so this could be a sly way to gain from an accident.

However, countries like to do their own investigations without the NTSB (USA) or TSB (Canada) or airline budding in. With the high number of Canadian casualties, the TSB should be given allowance to investigate despite the accident occurring entirely overseas.

19 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I am thinking accidental use of SAM, probably due the high tension and anticipation of air attack. 

I tend to agree. Just seems a little too coincidental. (That said i suggested the Russians due to the Ukrainian airline involved)

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I think North Vancouver has a proportionally high number of people of Iranian descent. Not sure if anywhere else in Canada comes even close.

North Van is probably the highest in BC followed by West Van... pretty much any iranian that immigrates to BC comes to the North Shore. Toronto has a neighbourhood that has even more than North Van. I forget the name but I recall going there for work and just driving down the street thinking wow there's more persian stores here than North Van.

The Canadians on the flight were connecting from Kiev to Toronto to come back home.

This is a travesty... can't imagine how bad the families involved feel... rest in peace :(

The Iranians aren't releasing the black boxes because Boeing sanctioned them and they are upset over it. Something will come out soon.

There was no safety issue in Tehran that forced people to leave... they were probably just coming home from holidays. There was no imminent war as much as the media portrayed. This was all just an inside job by Trump and the dirty turbans that run iran.

The iranian people for the first time in decades were finally protesting against their government ... 1000+ had died in protests.

Trump was in the midst of being impeached and wanted to win an election so her puffed his chest.

There's many rumours going that Soleimani was becoming so powerful that HE was the only one that could get the military to revolt against the dirty turbans of iran and FINALLY bring democracy and peace to Iran... but the turbans didn't want this and they had CIA / Trump whatever kill Soleimani.

:(

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's awful, flights are typically pretty safe but there's always that small chance things go wrong. Lot of bad news rolling in this year. 

R.I.P

Flights are safe, except when its a Boeing 737 known for having flaws and crashing and a Ukranian airline not known for high standards or safety.

• Wat 1

Hmmm...not sure I'm buying the SAM theory....

Granted, I'm far from an expert on military weapons, but the video I saw last night showed the plane traveling a fair distance, seemingly on fire. That sounds to me like an engine fire is more likely than a missile strike.

It could also explain why the reports of mechanical failure were made so quickly...

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

North Van is probably the highest in BC followed by West Van... pretty much any iranian that immigrates to BC comes to the North Shore. Toronto has a neighbourhood that has even more than North Van. I forget the name but I recall going there for work and just driving down the street thinking wow there's more persian stores here than North Van.

The Canadians on the flight were connecting from Kiev to Toronto to come back home.

This is a travesty... can't imagine how bad the families involved feel... rest in peace :(

The Iranians aren't releasing the black boxes because Boeing sanctioned them and they are upset over it. Something will come out soon.

There was no safety issue in Tehran that forced people to leave... they were probably just coming home from holidays. There was no imminent war as much as the media portrayed. This was all just an inside job by Trump and the dirty turbans that run iran.

The iranian people for the first time in decades were finally protesting against their government ... 1000+ had died in protests.

Trump was in the midst of being impeached and wanted to win an election so her puffed his chest.

There's many rumours going that Soleimani was becoming so powerful that HE was the only one that could get the military to revolt against the dirty turbans of iran and FINALLY bring democracy and peace to Iran... but the turbans didn't want this and they had CIA / Trump whatever kill Soleimani.

:(

I really think both sides knew about Soleimani and the regime maybe wanted him killed. What better way to do that by involving Americans so as to deflect attention from protests while at the same time Trump looks strong to his party by carrying out the attack, making it seem like US is taking actions. Then all of a sudden, they both de-escalate the situation. Its a win win for both sides as it distracts the media from impeachment from Trump's side while it also distracts iranian people from the protest against the regime and makes them all united against the bad bad USA. This is just some fodder to feed the media which now has this story up 24/7.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think that's a different plane. 737 Max?

Not sure, but the reason why Iranians wont give up the blackbox is due to sanctions and the fact that they want to do their own investigations. The flight was away from the missiles trajectory and the Ukrainian flight was still in Iranian air space close to the airport so I really doubt the plane was hit by a missile.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Granted, I'm far from an expert on military weapons, but the video I saw last night showed the plane traveling a fair distance, seemingly on fire. That sounds to me like an engine fire is more likely than a missile strike.

It could also explain why the reports of mechanical failure were made so quickly...

I think it was probably an engine problem. A missile would have caused explosion mid air and the debris would be spread out. This was just a Ukranian airline not known to do maintenance regularly.

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Not sure, but the reason why Iranians wont give up the blackbox is due to sanctions and the fact that they want to do their own investigations. The flight was away from the missiles trajectory and the Ukrainian flight was still in Iranian air space close to the airport so I really doubt the plane was hit by a missile.

Yeah, that and the fact that they probably just don't want to give the Americans anything....

Agree on the missile. In fact I posted the same a while back.

24 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I tend to agree. Just seems a little too coincidental. (That said i suggested the Russians due to the Ukrainian airline involved)

You guys are over thinking. This is just a crash due to mechanical issues, its really a coincident. Why would there be missile attacks on a civilian passenger plane? And some people are saying that it was on fire before crashing, so there goes the theory of accidental SAM hit. 

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

Correct, that's the 737 Max which is grounded worldwide.

This plane was a fairly new 737-800.

I see, I still doubt that a missile hit brought the plane down when it catched fire mid air. The debris are all close together which suggests it was a crash.

15 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I think it was probably an engine problem. A missile would have caused explosion mid air and the debris would be spread out. This was just a Ukranian airline not known to do maintenance regularly.

That's my take as well.

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

20 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Airplane was at around 8k feet in the air when it stopped communicating. No distress call or reporting any fires or engibe failure , so thats little strange. Unless explosion took place near cockpit killing pilots first.

In the 28 years UIA had no deadly accidents plus maintenance was done 48 hours to this flight. Also plane was only 3 years old.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Airplane was at around 8k feet in the air when it stopped communicating. No distress call or reporting any fires or engibe failure , so thats little strange. Unless explosion took place near cockpit killing pilots first.

In the 28 years UIA had no deadly accidents plus maintenance was done 48 hours to this flight. Also plane was only 3 years old.

Still don't think that proves any foul play.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Where did you get the info that there was no distress call? Iran has the blackbox and hasnt released any info. Me thinks you are making up that part. Show me the report where it says there was no distress call.

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Strange. In the video I saw yesterday, the plane looked much lower than 8k feet....They also said the crash site is on the outskirts of Tehran. Does a jet get that high before clearing city limits?

Here's the video from CBS. I'm no expert, but it looks pretty low to me:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-plane-crash-video-appears-to-show-ukraine-international-airlines-boeing-737-on-fire-before-crashing-iran/