The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Rasmus Andersson

10 hours ago, xereau said:

He is gritty and a pain in the ass to play against. It's a good signing, and it should look incredibly good in a few years.

ah OK, thanks. I purposely don't watch the Flames when I don't have to so I've only seen him against us and wasn't blown away by the skill set.  

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Calgary is a nice city.  Very world class, great economy.  An hour & 20 minutes from Banff. 

Better weather than Edmonton, Winnipeg.

It's the same weather as Edmonton - nut shrinking cold. Calgary gets more snow and it's just as cold.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It's the same weather as Edmonton - nut shrinking cold. Calgary gets more snow and it's just as cold.

Not even close to the same weather as Edmonton. I live in Calgary and don't get me wrong it's still nut shrinking cold here most of the time but the weather if very different. Edmonton is both warmer in the summer and colder in winter than Calgary plus the Chinooks in Calgary  during winter let your nuts thaw out at every couple weeks instead of freezing for months on end.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

Haha it was determined,  that was a lie. 

there was a nerdy report (https://edmontonweathernerdery.blogspot.com/2016/06/versus-calgary-part-1.html?m=1)

that proved edmonton does have colder temperatures. Heck even today as we speak edmonton is 4 degrees colder. 

Edmonton has colder winters and while Calgary gets more snow due it is proximity to the mountains, but that proximity also bring Calgary more chinooks and warms breaks during the winter. Calgary’s also more prepared to handle the snow with plows constantly ready to go. And depending who you are snow isn't really a bad thing, especially those that like winter activities. 

19 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Haha it was determined,  that was a lie. 

there was a nerdy report (https://edmontonweathernerdery.blogspot.com/2016/06/versus-calgary-part-1.html?m=1)

that proved edmonton does have colder temperatures. Heck even today as we speak edmonton is 4 degrees colder. 

Edmonton has colder winters and while Calgary gets more snow due it is proximity to the mountains, but that proximity also bring Calgary more chinooks and warms breaks during the winter. Calgary’s also more prepared to handle the snow with plows constantly ready to go. And depending who you are snow isn't really a bad thing, especially those that like winter activities. 

But overall, it's very similar. I can't tell a difference going outside whether it's -20 or -16. It's all about the wind chill to me.

1 hour ago, milk and honey said:

Respect and kindness. 

Change the toxic hockey culture to. 

It is not toxic to cheer against teams. It might be toxic for the single person if they hate the team so much that their life is negatively affected. I get what you are trying to do, but go after posts that legitimately show disrespect or rudeness (plenty of that on these boards). If you try to police basic $&!# talk against rivals, you are just working against yourself as you show yourself to be a snowflake that will not win over anyone. 

• Cheers 1

Well, as of now I'd say he's hardly any better than Stecher. 5 career goals in 135 games played, not exactly a ringing endorsement of his offensive prowess. I guess he's a decent top 4 guy. But with this contract that blueline is gonna lose some depth. Could hurt his play as well. 4.5 for a solid two way top 4 d-man isn't too bad. And with his icetime I'd say he is being played as a top 4. With Hamonic likely on the way out he'll be leaned on more heavily.

Edited by N7Nucks

4 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I stayed a summer in Calgary, just summer. Lived in Sherwood Park just short of 4 years. My memory of Calgary was an early Sept schnook, when it was 25 degree's earlier in the day.  

I was always amazed. I don't ever recall the temperature in Edmonton go up above 23 degree's. Always stuck at 21 or 22, There was never, ever, a hot sunny day? Summer was hazy.  The grass never got better than luke brown. What was worse? I also lived in Winnipeeg, 20 years, but that was better. Colder, yes. The winter in N Alberta starts arriving 3 weeks earlier. Give or take the 12th, 15th or 18th October. And sticks.  In Winnipeg, one snow before Halloween. But washed away by rains. Permanent snow and cold Nov 15th or 18th? Some years gone by April 1st. Usually the week of Easter. The crocus bubs I grew bloomed at Easter. Followed quickly by Dafodils not until the queens birthday in Edmonton when the snow finally fades.

I also recall driving down Calgary Trail in snow. Through Red Deer where there were patches of on high land. With clear farm fields as I arrived to watch a play off game at the Saddledome. That extra 300 km's North.  Winter comes three weeks earlier, leaves 3 weeks later. I recall to this day arriving to live in Edmonton Oct 15 to live. In a blistering snow storm at minus twenty, forty with windchill.  Its that extra time that winter is around, which makes it so hard to bear.

My Aussie wife, new baby in hand, did not leave the home for 6 months. 

Edited by Canuck Surfer
crocus, which used to poke out of the last snows

On 1/9/2020 at 3:30 AM, milk and honey said:

Grow up, they are human beings as well who worked their tails up.  They are in the entertainment business. This whole nonsense of hating another team to make you seem more of die heart gotta stop. Who cares who is the biggest die heart fan but even more so this hatred is hurting culture.  I know it's a minor thing but hating the flames and other similar things just tear people apart. 

We need more unity in this culture. Stop hating another city hockey team. They did nothing wrong.  You can dislike a player I guess but even then you are judging them by their on ice behavior or a story you heard or maybe you meant them once that didn't go well.  This guy's have families and wife's. I'm sure after a fight with the wife where you gone shopping the last thing you want is a fan bugging you for a picture. 

I'm just saying to be nicer and stop hating each other. This hating culture gotta stop soon. 

I think you mean die hard. 

On 1/9/2020 at 3:20 AM, shiznak said:

While I’m very happy with the Boeser pick in 2015. Rasmus Andersson was the guy I wanted as the defensive option, if Benning were to choose one. He kind of flew under the radar, when everyone wanted either Roy, Kylington, Juuslen, or Carlo.

Canucks could have had both <_<

15 hours ago, rekker said:

Lots of talk here on Edmonton vs Calgary for livability. Yikes, not even close as Edmonton is a first class crap hole. Calgary has more to offer on many, many fronts. 

I live in Calgary, used to live in Vancouver, and grew up in the Fraser Valley. Generally prefer the weather in Calgary (although the next couple of weeks are gonna be tough). I never realized how nice the near-constant sunshine can be.

In some respects (weather, proximity to mountains, etc) Calgary is a better place to live than Edmonton. However, Edmonton has more cultural and arts events - they get far more and better concerts throughout the year (still nowhere near as much as Vancouver and Toronto). So it does have that going for it.

Also, Saddledome is a dump, and Rogers is fantastic, but eventually Calgary’s new rink will even that out...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

I live in Calgary, used to live in Vancouver, and grew up in the Fraser Valley. Generally prefer the weather in Calgary (although the next couple of weeks are gonna be tough). I never realized how nice the near-constant sunshine can be.

In some respects (weather, proximity to mountains, etc) Calgary is a better place to live than Edmonton. However, Edmonton has more cultural and arts events - they get far more and better concerts throughout the year (still nowhere near as much as Vancouver and Toronto). So it does have that going for it.

Also, Saddledome is a dump, and Rogers is fantastic, but eventually Calgary’s new rink will even that out...

Edmonton for city life 

Calgary for nature, music scene and weather due to chinooks and sunshine. 

Really annoys me about Vancouver people making it sound like rest of Canada is a frozen crap place to live.  Honestly between - 5 or - 25 isn't that much of a difference in terms of what you wear and do in a day. 

On 1/10/2020 at 5:39 AM, D-Money said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Vancouver's weather is terrible. Cold summers and damp winters.