The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All in! [Proposal]

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am going to revamp this for you...………..

To Nashville...………….Pearson, Hoglander, 2021-1st, Juolevi, and Eriksson

To Vancouver...………..Filip Forsberg (LW)

[...]

Even without Eriksson that's not an attractive package for Nashville.  Forsberg is a 30 goal scorer and a core player - their best offensive player and probably the only one that can really take over a game.  

Forsberg makes their roster better.  Pearson is not at the same level - he's not a ppg LW1.  Eriksson makes it even worse and there's no spot in their lineup for him. They have been trying to move Turris with no success - him and Eriksson would block 14M.  That's a waste of cap space.  

Nashville wants to compete now - they just fired Laviolette on the hope that Hynes can turn their season around.  Poile was explaining that he wants to keep the band together.  He's not looking to sell off core players - he wants to get them going. 

Juolevi's injuries have set him back and looks to lack even more pace.  Nashville was picking ahead of the Canucks (they had the NJD pick) and could have had Hoglander.  Instead they moved back because there was no one that interested them in that range - no reason to think that has changed. 

I would think that Nashville would let Granlund walk (if they are in a playoff spot) or trade him at the TDL, probably Smith too.  Opens up cap space to go after someone like Kreider in free agency.  

If they trade Forsberg it would probably be more in a change of scenery type deal - someone with the same profile as game-breaker who can pile up points at a ppg level.  Don't really see it happening as he's on a really good contract and fits their window and team. 

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

The first gif was actually anyone of sane mind thinking about a hockey trade.

It's bad for both sides.

We're not having a problem scoring, which is awesome, but Hamhuis could only improve our D by putting Baumer into a submission hold and taking his job.

And the D is by far our biggest problem. 

Thanks for explaining.  Hamhuis is a UFA and age caught up to him - maybe coaching is next.  

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Hey there. Good on ya for posting some ideas. Unlike some on here, I don't get upset that you like to think about how to make our team better and post your thoughts for discussion. So please don't be put off by the negativity.

Of course these deals won't happen. We're all just spit balling. And in my personal opinion I think that the Canucks should not go all in this year, it is too early for their young core.

But hey, in response to your OP, I think the roster you have proposed is not quite a Cup contender (and neither is mine below), but I would rather keep Tanev over Hamhuis, and I think Demko is essential as a decent backup for Marky. So here are some possible changes to your three deals to get a top 6 winger plus Tyler Bert without losing Tanev and Demko:

Deal 1:

To MIN - Lind, Leivo, 2021 2nd

To VAN - Zucker

[...]

Minnesota is still in a playoff hunt.  Zucker is injured and it threw their lines out of whack.  They've struggled to win without him.  He's expected to practice with the team on Friday.

Leivo is not an LW1 and he's also a UFA and injured.   If they are out of the playoffs why add a UFA.  If they are still in the playoff hunt why get rid of their LW1.

They also have too many wingers for next season and Guerin said he will trade out a top-6 or top-9 winger to create a spot for Kaprisov.  They are unlikely to swap wingers as it doesn't solve their issue.

Zucker looks like a trade candidate.  His absence is highlighting his importance though.  They are a slow team and miss his foot speed on top of his production.  Still don't think he'll finish his contract in Minnesota - he's good but not great and his playoffs have been underwhelming so far.

Their beat writer Russo speculates that Zucker has Vancouver on his 10-team no trade list.  Zucker knows they had interest.  His wife shares custody of her 1st child and has already stated that she'd stay back in Minnesota.  Zucker probably doesn't want to be more than a short flight away.  Pittsburgh was very interested in him and Guerin would know their prospects.  With Guentzel out for the season they might want to make another try.

Edited by mll

6 hours ago, mll said:

Even without Eriksson that's not an attractive package for Nashville.  Forsberg is a 30 goal scorer and a core player - their best offensive player and probably the only one that can really take over a game.  

Forsberg makes their roster better.  Pearson is not at the same level - he's not a ppg LW1.  Eriksson makes it even worse and there's no spot in their lineup for him. They have been trying to move Turris with no success - him and Eriksson would block 14M.  That's a waste of cap space.  

Nashville wants to compete now - they just fired Laviolette on the hope that Hynes can turn their season around.  Poile was explaining that he wants to keep the band together.  He's not looking to sell off core players - he wants to get them going. 

Juolevi's injuries have set him back and looks to lack even more pace.  Nashville was picking ahead of the Canucks (they had the NJD pick) and could have had Hoglander.  Instead they moved back because there was no one that interested them in that range - no reason to think that has changed. 

I would think that Nashville would let Granlund walk (if they are in a playoff spot) or trade him at the TDL, probably Smith too.  Opens up cap space to go after someone like Kreider in free agency.  

If they trade Forsberg it would probably be more in a change of scenery type deal - someone with the same profile as game-breaker who can pile up points at a ppg level.  Don't really see it happening as he's on a really good contract and fits their window and team. 

Totally get your point, and as a matter of agreement......I just could not put more into it and it actually look like I was tryin to be fair....

But in saying that...…...Eriksson aside

The difference in Forsberg and Pearson is about 10 points this year, and Pearson has a much better injury history...…..

Are you saying the difference is more than a blue chip asset and a past high 1st? I am not sure about that.

Would you take Pearson, Hoglander and Juolevi or compatibles for Boeser?

I know the suggestion is weak, but it is close....I feel Pearson, Hoglander and a 1st does it for sure

I don't know, I get your pioint, and its fair....I am just not sure I would ever gut my farm for what the OP is suggesting in any form

53 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Totally get your point, and as a matter of agreement......I just could not put more into it and it actually look like I was tryin to be fair....

But in saying that...…...Eriksson aside

The difference in Forsberg and Pearson is about 10 points this year, and Pearson has a much better injury history...…..

Are you saying the difference is more than a blue chip asset and a past high 1st? I am not sure about that.

Would you take Pearson, Hoglander and Juolevi or compatibles for Boeser?

I know the suggestion is weak, but it is close....I feel Pearson, Hoglander and a 1st does it for sure

I don't know, I get your pioint, and its fair....I am just not sure I would ever gut my farm for what the OP is suggesting in any form

Forsberg is having a down year while Pearson is having a good year.  Nashville is also letting their offence be dictated by their Ds - adjusting the system to let the Fs have the puck more should help them increase their production.  Hynes hopes to get their top-6 going.  

Forsberg is a game-breaker.  His skill level and poise with the puck is truly insane.  Look at this penalty kill.  When he is at his best he can just toy around guys.  Pearson is not that kind of player.  Boeser isn't either but I wouldn't trade Boeser for that package.  

Hoglander is several years away and Nashville passed on drafting him.  The 1st round pick doesn't help them either.  Their window is open now.   There's no reason for them to downgrade their active roster when their window is open now.   Their best course of action is to get Forsberg up and running as well as the rest of their top-6.  Poile mentioned several times that guys are far better than what they have shown this season.  He hopes the coaching change is going to spark them.    

Edited by mll

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Forsberg is having a down year while Pearson is having a good year.  Nashville is also letting their offence be dictated by their Ds - adjusting the system to let the Fs have the puck more should help them increase their production.  Hynes hopes to get their top-6 going.  

Forsberg is a game-breaker.  His skill level and poise with the puck is truly insane.  Look at this penalty kill.  When he is at his best he can just toy around guys.  Pearson is not that kind of player.  Boeser isn't either but I wouldn't trade Boeser for that package.  

Hoglander is several years away and Nashville passed on drafting him.  The 1st round pick doesn't help them either.  Their window is open now.   There's no reason for them to downgrade their active roster when their window is open now.   Their best course of action is to get Forsberg up and running as well as the rest of their top-6.  Poile mentioned several times that guys are far better than what they have shown this season.  He hopes the coaching change is going to spark them.    

I get that......and I think he is too expensive

and yes he is a lot better

Like I said earlier...I could not put enough into the offer to even make it totally fair

I am out of this convo…….

IMO....we just need to wait a couple of years and develop our own...it is still coming

12 hours ago, mll said:

Minnesota is still in a playoff hunt.  Zucker is injured and it threw their lines out of whack.  They've struggled to win without him.  He's expected to practice with the team on Friday.

Leivo is not an LW1 and he's also a UFA and injured.   If they are out of the playoffs why add a UFA.  If they are still in the playoff hunt why get rid of their LW1.

They also have too many wingers for next season and Guerin said he will trade out a top-6 or top-9 winger to create a spot for Kaprisov.  They are unlikely to swap wingers as it doesn't solve their issue.

Zucker looks like a trade candidate.  His absence is highlighting his importance though.  They are a slow team and miss his foot speed on top of his production.  Still don't think he'll finish his contract in Minnesota - he's good but not great and his playoffs have been underwhelming so far.

Their beat writer Russo speculates that Zucker has Vancouver on his 10-team no trade list.  Zucker knows they had interest.  His wife shares custody of her 1st child and has already stated that she'd stay back in Minnesota.  Zucker probably doesn't want to be more than a short flight away.  Pittsburgh was very interested in him and Guerin would know their prospects.  With Guentzel out for the season they might want to make another try.

My preference is not to trade for a top 6 winger, I would prefer we wait until Podkolzin, Hoglander and Madden develop and join the NHL. I would like to JB to focus on moving out Baer and Sutter prior to next season to clear cap space, and if necessary Stecher too.

However, Zucker is a prime target if JB has been mandated to find a top 6 winger. In my example Leivo was a cap dump. I am aware that he is not a LW1, is injured and is UFA next year. Minnesota would only do the deal to try and improve their future by adding Lind and a 2021 2nd, and not in an attempt to improve for this year's playoffs. Perhaps Madden would be a more interesting add for Minnesota, instead of Lind, as their centers are aging out?

I don't really mind the idea of giving up assets to move out cap as long as it properly bolsters our top 6 to where they need to be and are on long enough contracts or at least restricted.

Myers can take off with his 6m salary as far as I am concerned. Tryamkin brings even more size and better checking, with likely a minor scoring reduction from what we've seen of Myers so far.

As far as I can see it, we really only need 1 more top 6 player, assuming we plan to keep Ferland on the 3rd.

I may not agree with the specifics from the OP, but I do feel we can afford to give up some to get that new, legit top 6 player. I also feel including Demko as an outgoing asset is a good idea given the expansion draft.

I also like the idea of getting Bertuzzzi II, but the price would be steep. I can see Detroit wanting a new goalie prospect though, and Podkolzin fits into their ability to wait a couple of years. I know some here love the guy but somehow I just see Hoglander fitting in better on our top line. That puts Miller and Bert with Bo, who I think would work well together.

12 hours ago, mll said:

Would have looked good with the sedins