Sign in to follow this  
Guest

[Proposal] Prospect Swap

Recommended Posts

Guest

Hey all! 

 

I was looking at the canucks pipeline and love how deep we’ve been getting on the prospect front. We have guys like Podz and Hogs already making an impact at the World Juniors, McDonough and Madden are tearing it up on a meh Huskies club, Rathbone being a second power play specialist, and we’ve got Brogan Rafferty and Mikey DiPietro looking like they’ll come in from Utica soon and have the chance to be impact guys for us. 

 

However, there’s the weird case of Olli Juolevi. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love his play style and think he can be a top 4 D-man, but he’s coming close to our other Swedish D-man in terms of injuries. This is not a “sky is falling” thread, nor shouldn’t it be taken as such. I’m just wondering if we’re expecting too much from him in Utica. Olli is playing in every situation, but it may be too much for him to handle. I think he’d be better suited somewhere where he can play 18-20 minutes a night, and not have to worry as much about injuries. 

 

Winnipeg is in dire need of some defenders, and has the culture that can protect him. I think that he could start as a 3rd pairing guy for the NHL club with PK and PP time, as well. When looking at our depth chart, I don’t see if he can displace Rathbone in the future as our PP guy, nor do I think we sit idly by and let Tanev walk. Even if we do, we’d have cap space for another defensive defender. 

 

The guy I'm looking at is Kristian Vesalainen. He’s 6’4, 209lbs and has struggled at times, like where he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs in the KHL. He’s now with the Manitoba Moose, and has 2 more points than Juolevi in 10 more games. 

 

Both are high risk/high reward situations, but I feel we’d be getting more of both. Would a 1 for 1 deal work for either side? 

 

Podz - Petey - Vesalainen 

Virt - Bo - Boeser 

Hogs - Gaudette - Miller 

 

That’s a lot of size, depth and scoring in our top nine. 

 

The Jets would then have Juolevi, Heinola and Samberg on the left side for many, many years. 

 

Both sides benefit, but do we pull the trigger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could be good, but i’ld want to know about his skating, skills both offensively and defensively and how his skills fit this team. is he a team player or a prima donna? is he a scorer, playmaker or gritty, does he drive play or finish checks? why is he struggling, adjusting to a new league or not skilled enough? i would have my scouts watch him lots and determine if he could be a productive canuck. 

can juolevi make the jump to the nhl? whose place would he take? i think rafferty could grab a  spot next season. one saving grace is we usually sustain injuries and it is good to have players that can plug in.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defense is Winnipeg's weakness.

Defense is not a strength in Vancouver.

 

Winnipeg should just trade laine for a ransom and get a #1 franchise d man.

 

Vesalainen replaces Laine in the top 6 in winnipeg.

Edler,Benn and Fantenburg will be gone by the time Juolevi is a top 4.

 

Petey Boeser Miller Horvat Virtanen Gaudette along with roussel and ferland in the top 9 for the canucks.

 

Add in Hoglander and Podz.

 

Canucks need defense and so does Winnipeg, no deal!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Defense is Winnipeg's weakness.

Defense is not a strength in Vancouver.

 

Winnipeg should just trade laine for a ransom and get a #1 franchise d man.

 

Vesalainen replaces Laine in the top 6 in winnipeg.

Edler,Benn and Fantenburg will be gone by the time Juolevi is a top 4.

 

Petey Boeser Miller Horvat Virtanen Gaudette along with roussel and ferland in the top 9 for the canucks.

 

Add in Hoglander and Podz.

...

Canucks need defense and so does Winnipeg, no deal!

I honestly feel Juolevi will be a top 4 D man in Vancouver sooner then later.. I Feel we will see Rafferty in Vancouver for 10 games by March and then full time next season.. Juolevi will also see some games and should be ready for NHL next season..

 

Like we have all heard we will have to trade a few good players before next season..

I can see Vancouver trading  Stetcher who will want between 3.3 - 3.6 million this summer-- Replace with Rafferty

 

Marky will want 5.4 million x 5 yrs.. Will have to trade either Markstrom or Demko before Seattle arrives ..So Marky will need no trade clause in after 20-21

season so we have option to deal him if needed..Either goalie should bring in a good prospect or high draft pick.

 

We will also need to trade a forward to dump salary.. Jake will be after 3.5 - 3.8 this summer he might be a guy..I would hate to move jake but we have to clean up cap space... 

Other players that could be traded to make cap space are Pearson, Leivo ..

Will be a very interesting trade deadline..

Sure like all the prospects we have and team is so so exciting to watch..

 

Thanks Jim Benning and staff for good drafting and last summers additions..Very excited with Utica prospect also, follow the farm team close..

Future is very bright and exciting,,,

Go Canucks GO

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Vesalainen, I saw him play as a 16 year old were he was a dominant force primarily due to the fact that he developed earlier than his peers. Those same peers have now caught up which make the game much more difficult for KV. 

 

However, I think OJ is still a far better prospect here and we may see him in a Canucks uniform fairly soon if he stays healthy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I honestly feel Juolevi will be a top 4 D man in Vancouver sooner then later.. I Feel we will see Rafferty in Vancouver for 10 games by March and then full time next season.. Juolevi will also see some games and should be ready for NHL next season..

 

Like we have all heard we will have to trade a few good players before next season..

I can see Vancouver trading  Stetcher who will want between 3.3 - 3.6 million this summer-- Replace with Rafferty

 

Marky will want 5.4 million x 5 yrs.. Will have to trade either Markstrom or Demko before Seattle arrives ..So Marky will need no trade clause in after 20-21

season so we have option to deal him if needed..Either goalie should bring in a good prospect or high draft pick.

 

We will also need to trade a forward to dump salary.. Jake will be after 3.5 - 3.8 this summer he might be a guy..I would hate to move jake but we have to clean up cap space... 

Other players that could be traded to make cap space are Pearson, Leivo ..

Will be a very interesting trade deadline..

Sure like all the prospects we have and team is so so exciting to watch..

 

Thanks Jim Benning and staff for good drafting and last summers additions..Very excited with Utica prospect also, follow the farm team close..

Future is very bright and exciting,,,

Go Canucks GO

 

 

If Juolevi didn't have knee surgery he would be with the Canucks and Fantenburg wouldn't have been signed.

 

Rafferty can't be penciled in to replace Stecher yet, hopefully next year he will be #7 or 8.

 

Add in the possibility of Tryamkin coming back and the D core starts to look better.

 

Tanev ufa and stecher rfa after this season.

 

Edler Myers

Hughes ????

Benn Joulevi

Tryamkin Rafferty 

 

As for the forward logjam for next year/

 

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat 

Ferland Sutter Roussel 

Eriksson Beagle

 

With Virtanen and Gaudette as rfa

 

Motte,Schaller,Goldobin,Leivo won't be re-signed.

 

Hopefully 2 of Baertschi Sutter and Eriksson can be moved or bought out.

 

Then when Petey and Hughes are due for new contracts Edler Benn and Pearson are off the books, there's 12+ million. 

 

Marky and Demko solution? Sign marky to a higher cap deal for 1 year, let him be a "UFA" during expansion and sign him when that is settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If Juolevi didn't have knee surgery he would be with the Canucks and Fantenburg wouldn't have been signed.

 

Rafferty can't be penciled in to replace Stecher yet, hopefully next year he will be #7 or 8.

 

Add in the possibility of Tryamkin coming back and the D core starts to look better.

 

Tanev ufa and stecher rfa after this season.

 

Edler Myers

Hughes ????

Benn Joulevi

Tryamkin Rafferty 

 

As for the forward logjam for next year/

 

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat 

Ferland Sutter Roussel 

Eriksson Beagle

 

With Virtanen and Gaudette as rfa

 

Motte,Schaller,Goldobin,Leivo won't be re-signed.

 

Hopefully 2 of Baertschi Sutter and Eriksson can be moved or bought out.

 

Then when Petey and Hughes are due for new contracts Edler Benn and Pearson are off the books, there's 12+ million. 

 

Marky and Demko solution? Sign marky to a higher cap deal for 1 year, let him be a "UFA" during expansion and sign him when that is settled.

motte will and should be resigned  he is a perfect 3rd /4th liner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could see the Jets moving him for Pool Party maybe? Edm adds a pick on top as JP is a risky wildcard more so than KV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 10:15 AM, the grinder said:

motte will and should be resigned  he is a perfect 3rd /4th liner

He deserves a multi year deal similar to Austin Watson's extension with Nashville 3yr 1.5m per

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.