The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Proposal] Max Domi

HKSR

What do you guys think the value is on Max Domi right now?  Montreal is gonna be a seller for sure.  Are they ready to move on from some players like Domi?

Here's a proposal for the heck of it:

To VAN:

Max Domi

Conditional 3rd Round Pick (if Tanev re-signs with MTL)

To MTL:

Nils Hoglander

Chris Tanev

Need to give to get, Vancouver sells high on Hoglander and gets a Top 6 forward to play with Horvat like their junior days. Hoglander lands on an Eastern team so wouldn't hurt as much if he becomes a Top 6 forward. 

Montreal gets a top tier prospect with a ton of skill and an excellent RHD defensive d-man to build with.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think they'll move Domi, he's 24, an important part of the team. I feel like they'll want him to lead the charge if they decide to rebuild. It would likely be someone like Tatar to a contender (looking at the Avs, over 6 mil in cap space, western conference team). He's 29, produces points, and has a fairly cheap cap hit for the next 1.5 seasons. Is MTL looking for picks or prospects? Probably the latter considering they have 11 picks this coming draft, though they could be looking to upgrade some picks.

Though I do like the thought of that scrappy pitbull in Van.

Edited by Chickenspear

I could see MTL wanting Tanev as a rental if they were heading into the playoffs, but not sure why they'd want him if the season is over. 

If they did want to move on Domi I think they'd want to do a C swap, so for us that would mean Gaudette + some assets for Domi. Not sure we really improve. 

Good proposal. Value wise I think you're pretty close Few thoughts below.

- Hogland might have crazy high value if hes producing on his ELC. The team needs people on ELC's pulling on the rope in the next few year.

- Tanev has been solid this year and if we are trying to make playoffs hes a key piece, especially with our volatile defense.

I was actually thinking of a similar deal, how does everyone feel about Josh Anderson?

He also is a team mate/friend of Bo's. Plays a heavy game TG likes. He is on a cheaper contract. He is a great insurance policy on Ferland if he doesnt get his health on track. Anderson's value is really low at the moment: 4 points in 26 games.

We could probably get him for significantly cheaper then Domi. Although domi is the better player. That being said Anderson was a force in playoffs.

image.thumb.png.0059b40b96670bd632d76c6368470b8d.png

When I first saw Hoglander, I thought "no way". Kind of scary to trade away a prospect like him, not knowing what his ceiling could be. Domi would be a great gritty addition though. Not too concerned about losing Tanev, as Rafferty has taken another step, and Tryamkin and Juolevi may join the team down the stretch or next season. MTL might really like the idea of a Kotkaniemi-Hoglander line.

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i don’t know if montreal does this but this is one of the fairer trades, i’ve seen proposed. we may need hogs entry level cap hit to make our salary structure work, but would love to have domi here. good proposal. 

I don't see Montreal making this trade, even though it is a fair one.  Domi has played well for them and has helped Tatar turn his career around.  Habs must have the smallest top line in the league...Tatar  Domi  Gallagher.

The Canucks cannot afford to add a player that will be a RFA next season and will want to cash in, who would also need to be protected in the ED.

Great proposal; bad timing.

13 minutes ago, RecklessReilly said:

Good proposal. Value wise I think you're pretty close Few thoughts below.

- Hogland might have crazy high value if hes producing on his ELC. The team needs people on ELC's pulling on the rope in the next few year.

- Tanev has been solid this year and if we are trying to make playoffs hes a key piece, especially with our volatile defense.

I was actually thinking of a similar deal, how does everyone feel about Josh Anderson?

He also is a team mate/friend of Bo's. Plays a heavy game TG likes. He is on a cheaper contract. He is a great insurance policy on Ferland if he doesnt get his health on track. Anderson's value is really low at the moment: 4 points in 26 games.

We could probably get him for significantly cheaper then Domi. Although domi is the better player. That being said Anderson was a force in playoffs.

image.thumb.png.0059b40b96670bd632d76c6368470b8d.png

Anderson has arbitration rights and is one year to free agency.  Last time negotiations were complicated and he held out through training camp.  If they can't sign him long term would think they'll trade him rather than go to arbitration for a 1-year deal. 

39 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal hangs up.  

Exactly.

Why exactly would Mtl want to get older, slower, and more injury prone on the 'hopes' that a prospect (Hog) eventually pans out 2-3 years from now? 

If JB is interested in Domi then Bergevin likely asks for BB or BoHo in return, then what exactly is the point of that for us? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I would rather hold on to Hoglander but maybe look at the long awaited trade with the Leafs for something like this:

To Toronto - Tanev

To Vancouver - Kapanen

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of room in the top 6 for Kapanen in Toronto but he would look good along side Horvat and is signed for another two years at 3.2mil.  Plus it wouldn’t be difficult for Toronto to fit Tanev’s contract at 4.45mil with this move.

Edited by laddie

10 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal hangs up.  

Yeah way too risky on the Habs part.

Hog doesn't pan out and/or Tanev walks they lose the trade easy.

Meanwhile Canucks get a pretty good top 6 FWD.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

12 hours ago, mll said:

Anderson has arbitration rights and is one year to free agency.  Last time negotiations were complicated and he held out through training camp.  If they can't sign him long term would think they'll trade him rather than go to arbitration for a 1-year deal. 

Anderson would be a great pickup. He is injured now, I have to think CBJ don't want to sell low on him either tho, give him a 1 year deal then hope he rebounds and trade him around the 2021 TDL for a better return.

GM JB should be calling for him tho, but it still won't be a cheap acquisition