The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Florida Panthers | Jan. 09, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, bree2 said:

two losses and the team is a disaster? you really shouldn't be watching hockey if you feel that way. every team in the nhl wins and loses. it is a real fan who realizes that

A real fan? Not this again. Who decides what makes a fan real? Certainly some are prone to just tear every aspect of the team down after a loss, that being said, if the team isn’t playing well and they don’t look to be giving their full intent of capability, people can criticize that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Why is it if a fan makes any type of constructive criticism or comment that they are deemed, NOT A FAN?  Yes, the Canucks are 7-3 in their last ten games but several of those games were won my Marky standing on his head, not by a good system or consistent game.  Everyone loves Edler and Myers but man they are slow.  Once they pinch or get beat at the opposition's blueline they are dead in the water.  And, they do that too many times during a game.  How many two on ones and three on ones did the Panthers have in last night's game?  If you don't have the speed (Hughes) then don't pinch.  Yes, it might be a more boring style but it is safer.  Green and his staff have to be able to see this when watching the film or do they?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A real fan? Not this again. Who decides what makes a fan real? Certainly some are prone to just tear every aspect of the team down after a loss, that being said, if the team isn’t playing well and they don’t look to be giving their full intent of capability, people can criticize that. 

sure we can all criticize , but I was talking about certain posters on here that are not just criticizing, 

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

two losses and the team is a disaster? you really shouldn't be watching hockey if you feel that way. every team in the nhl wins and loses. it is a real fan who realizes that

You lose 9-2 and then the next game you play just a poorly instead of bouncing back. That is a huge cause for concern. Good teams bounce back. This team laid an egg twice. Demko made some big saves or it could have been 10-2.

Edited by peaches5

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

You lose 9-2 and then the next game you play just a poorly instead of bouncing back. That is a huge cause for concern. Good teams bounce back. This team laid an egg twice. Demko made some big saves or it could have been 10-2.

And we may have bounced back, but an early gaffe by Hughes put us behind early. Funny how I see no complaints about him (not that I'm calling for it). He should have played the puck around the boards which was the safe play, but went up the middle, rookie mistake. Learn from it and move on. This is just part of the learning curve of a young group.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

Why is it if a fan makes any type of constructive criticism or comment that they are deemed, NOT A FAN?  Yes, the Canucks are 7-3 in their last ten games but several of those games were won my Marky standing on his head, not by a good system or consistent game.  Everyone loves Edler and Myers but man they are slow.  Once they pinch or get beat at the opposition's blueline they are dead in the water.  And, they do that too many times during a game.  How many two on ones and three on ones did the Panthers have in last night's game?  If you don't have the speed (Hughes) then don't pinch.  Yes, it might be a more boring style but it is safer.  Green and his staff have to be able to see this when watching the film or do they?

Thing is, it's about presentation.  It's all well and good to criticize...to present legitimate concerns and focus on the issues - that is palatable.  But it doesn't always happen that way and some are frustrated people just looking to vent.  Over and over and over on a loop.

Some don't put it into perspective with a young/newer team ... calling them a disaster is a bit much.  I like facts and this particular person also has compared with a 3 year window:

2016–17 record        30–43–9

2017–18 record        31–40–11

2018–19 record        35–36–11

2019–20 record to date       23–17–4

The past couple of games have been a disaster...I don't know that the team is.  They're a work in progress and we should be allowing for that.  To label them with a negative is a little unfair.  Quinne's been fantastic but has some work to do and mistakes help point that out.  Petey's great but, again, it's a good time to fine tune (or not because he's just fine).  People are harping on Brock and calling him lazy, etc.  Bo's slammed as a captain but he works, hard, every game. 

The D IS a big concern...we're all aware of that.  Goaltending HAS been covering up in many games that we likely should have lost.  But, all in all, this team is managing to stay in the race - that's the big picture.  Doesn't matter who, what, where, when, how...just that they are.  And that means they're on the right path.  Not there yet.  Not a finished project...but also not a disaster.

All fans are fans but, with that being said, some fans fade in and out and the Canucks are but one of their teams - not "the" team for them.  Which is fine.  But sometimes they take shots at times that appear more to be about proving a point about them, the more knowledgeable fan, than a realistic take on team.  Spewed, repetitive and offering little in observation beyond "the team sucks" (not you 2288).  They lie in wait with a preconceived notion that's become an agenda and pounce at every opportunity with it.  Then are gone when things are going well. We definitely have some of those

We are all Canucks has varying degrees of that.  All are welcome, but there are some who shoot the team down at every chance they get and, for some of us, that's tiring.  Then the homer shots are fired because that's the response (rather than something thought out and civilized).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I thought he played well.  One softy but when the team in front of you hangs you out to dry it was irrelevant.  It easily could've been another 9 goals against.  Especially the second period he made it respectable.  Career high in saves for a game says it all.

he did recover well, which is a great sign for a rookie goalie. But the team needed a brick wall performance in the 1st to regain some confidence. 

But onward and upward, I don't think the season ended in Florida. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And we may have bounced back, but an early gaffe by Hughes put us behind early. Funny how I see no complaints about him (not that I'm calling for it). He should have played the puck around the boards which was the safe play, but went up the middle, rookie mistake. Learn from it and move on. This is just part of the learning curve of a young group.

One mistake doesn't equate to the entire team playing poorly for 60 mins. 

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Just outside of the wildcard spot. Just outside of leapfrogging Vegas and Edmonton for 2nd and 3rd in the division. With games in hand. Sky is falling.

The expectation prior to the season wasn't playoffs at all by seemingly everyone. People were still calling us to tank even up to our 7 game streak. We are honestly right where I personally believe we should be. Of course we want to win games and want to not look bad while losing, but we are not a top contender, so I don't see why the team is being crucified similarly as if we are one.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

One mistake doesn't equate to the entire team playing poorly for 60 mins. 

It puts the team behind and changes the outset of the game. The team was already down from the last game and a start like that doesn't help. It got the team to take more chances which led to odd man rushes because the players were struggling stringing passes and had troubles carrying the puck. Can blame the coaching and systems, but the players are just as at fault for poorly executing. Confidence is big for a young team.

• Upvote 1