Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Florida Panthers | Jan. 09, 2020

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks were done after Florida's second SHOT - and they had 49.

Playoffs? lol

i just hoping we win a damn game

• Thanks 2

I consider my frustration at times - passion. I want this team to win badly, I know they can win, they've beaten good teams this year. But after losing 9-2 down the road and then getting beaten badly again against an average team, when these points are so important. 

For some reason, when a goalie seems to be struggling, nothing works better than a game against the Canucks to get out of that slump. The Canucks made struggling Bob look like Ken Dryden last night. Pettersson was having to battle Matheson on and off all night. Where were his team mates? This passive Canucks mentality is frustrating. I can't sit here and think "well, they're young and still learning". That's BS. There are a lot of good veteran players on this team, and only a small handful of young guys. I know they'll win another game, hopefully they can win one on this road trip.

This team is a ways off from being real good. They need playoff grit, which is sorely missing. And a coach who demands excellence. Get Loui out of there. He's too fricken slow.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Burr 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Jane said:

im worried about the cap issues we have coming ahead of us. 

all because we over payed for plugs

• Upvote 1

Imagine if the Canucks win the lottery and they pick Lafreniere....nah, they probably pick a goaltender because they might lose Demko in the ED.

Capture.PNG.24dc03e24c1c12f9b4e671a81abfc46b.PNG

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The expectation prior to the season wasn't playoffs at all by seemingly everyone. People were still calling us to tank even up to our 7 game streak. We are honestly right where I personally believe we should be. Of course we want to win games and want to not look bad while losing, but we are not a top contender, so I don't see why the team is being crucified similarly as if we are one.

Precisely.

Honestly, the team is exactly where they should be for their age as a roster, and in their development. Were never seen as a contender. And the fact that they aren’t at the bottom of the league is a huge win. You want a team like theirs to not tank. Players need to see what some sustained success during the season looks like, while also see some adversity to ensure it doesn’t happen once they are competitive year in and year out.

It would be a much, much different story if this team was on the outside looking in once they are at the same place as say, the Leafs are right now. But they aren’t there. They aren’t a team where the organization or the fans see them as a legitimate contender. They aren’t paying Pettersson or Hughes $10M+ per season. Or Podz $7M+. They are far off from that.

I’d be far more concerned if I were an Oilers fan. Have the best player in the world, well into his extension, but your defence is subpar, your depth scoring is abysmal, and your future in net is far from certain. The team isn’t there. In fact, they are setup really well for a well balanced team 3-5 years from now when they are a consistent playoff team. The only question mark comes on their future on defense. But if that’s the only question mark, they can address that through trades.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Burr 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I consider my frustration at times - passion. I want this team to win badly, I know they can win, they've beaten good teams this year. But after losing 9-2 down the road and then getting beaten badly again against an average team, when these points are so important. 

For some reason, when a goalie seems to be struggling, nothing works better than a game against the Canucks to get out of that slump. The Canucks made struggling Bob look like Ken Dryden last night. Pettersson was having to battle Matheson on and off all night. Where were his team mates? This passive Canucks mentality is frustrating. I can't sit here and think "well, they're young and still learning". That's BS. There are a lot of good veteran players on this team, and only a small handful of young guys. I know they'll win another game, hopefully they can win one on this road trip.

This team is a ways off from being real good. They need playoff grit, which is sorely missing. And a coach who demands excellence. Get Loui out of there. He's too fricken slow.

This is huge (the bolded part)...I, too, wish we'd have more of a pack mentality.  

But, the flipside to that is that if teams start to target Petey & Quinne, that could be massive.  So it almost seems like they're letting sleeping dogs lie and not poking the bear?  But, at times, you want to see that abandoned as emotion should take over and the warriors come out.  Not just battling hard for the puck, but giving a damn good slam into the boards now and then to say "hey, no".  Edler's good for that on occasion, but we don't get nearly enough of it from the team.  None for the most part.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think the sooner people accept this, then they can focus on other parts of the game rather than trying to find ways to fire Green.

Fire Benning then?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

One mistake doesn't equate to the entire team playing poorly for 60 mins. 

Except sometimes a fragile team that's just been blown out and is totally lacking confidence unravels after a mistake or two.  Especially if they're costly.  They get in their own heads.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The expectation prior to the season wasn't playoffs at all by seemingly everyone. People were still calling us to tank even up to our 7 game streak. We are honestly right where I personally believe we should be. Of course we want to win games and want to not look bad while losing, but we are not a top contender, so I don't see why the team is being crucified similarly as if we are one.

Acquiring Miller for the team's 1st overall have increased fan expectations. His subsequent play has had a positive effect on the team and they showed us 'what could be'.  I agree that this is not a contending team, but  there is a chance that they could slip into a playoff spot.  They are so inconsistent that it is very difficult to determine where they are amongst other bubble teams.

I actually think it wouldn't be such a terrible thing if the Nucks got a lotto pick in the upcoming draft.  They could get an awesome prospect and then head into next season with a more experienced and better overall team.  Perhaps even find a way to unload a killer contract or two. 

Those 2 games in Florida exposed their youth and lack of experience.  Stepping off the plane into the warmth and sunshine we all crave, can have a detrimental effect on one's focus and drive.  I didn't expect them to win against Tampa, but they really should have stomped on the Flames.  I do feel bad for Marks and Demko though. 

C'est la vie.  Carry on boys!

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Can anyone please explain how JT Miller got a 10 minute misconduct for "abuse of officials". What happened?

He was "Salty" after the 9-2 loss to his former team and the "Saltiness" boiled over....he was not a happy camper after that loss.

• Upvote 1

Watching Barkov and Trochek last nignt I kept thinking: "shouldn't Bo be playing like that?" They were going hard to the net and playing with real effort. I don't know if Bo's personality changed once he got the C on his jersey, but he just doesn't seem like the same bullish player he used to be. They need him to be that. He seems to be playing safe, and not really leading by example, like a captain should. Sure, probably good guy, doesn't complain, good at faceoffs. But that's not going to win any Cups. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3

What a garbage effort by this team after being destroyed by Tampa the previous game, just an embarrassment to everyone, obviously the coach can't motivate his players enough after a blow out loss, just pathetic

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Acquiring Miller for the team's 1st overall have increased fan expectations. His subsequent play has had a positive effect on the team and they showed us 'what could be'.  I agree that this is not a contending team, but  there is a chance that they could slip into a playoff spot.  They are so inconsistent that it is very difficult to determine where they are amongst other bubble teams.

I actually think it wouldn't be such a terrible thing if the Nucks got a lotto pick in the upcoming draft.  They could get an awesome prospect and then head into next season with a more experienced and better overall team.  Perhaps even find a way to unload a killer contract or two. 

Those 2 games in Florida exposed their youth and lack of experience.  Stepping off the plane into the warmth and sunshine we all crave, can have a detrimental effect on one's focus and drive.  I didn't expect them to win against Tampa, but they really should have stomped on the Flames.  I do feel bad for Marks and Demko though. 

C'est la vie.  Carry on boys!

Even that trade has set a precedent that we may not be a playoff team this year. The conditions gave us the leeway should we not make it this year. They could've just made it a top 3 protected pick or something if they were "all in" this year.

The inconsistency is due to youth. Just see Virtanen's progression as a single example. It is hard to read where we are amongst the bubble teams, but that's where we are, which is an improvement from where we were only a couple of seasons ago.

Marky and Demko have been great this year, but they too are proving themselves (Marky for his contract and Demko for more starts). A lot of teams rely on their goaltending to bail them out or be solid to have a successful team. This isn't new.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Bolded.

It's something I've been trying to come to terms with for what feels like a decade.

We bring guys in with grit, truculence and pushback only to neuter them and force them into this passive mentality on defense and in defense of their own teammates and themselves.

Keeping composure and not allowing the pests to dictate the flow of the game is one thing. But I think it's vital for a team to know somebody is going to have your back when needed. We have guys that should be taking numbers, they just aren't. 

&^@#ing campfire songs and handshakes.

I'm hearing Twilight Zone music....both bolding at the same time with basically the same thoughts.  This place is starting to scare me ("you know you're on CDC too much when....other people can post your thoughts for you").

Cheers LL

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

Why is it if a fan makes any type of constructive criticism or comment that they are deemed, NOT A FAN?  Yes, the Canucks are 7-3 in their last ten games but several of those games were won my Marky standing on his head, not by a good system or consistent game.  Everyone loves Edler and Myers but man they are slow.  Once they pinch or get beat at the opposition's blueline they are dead in the water.  And, they do that too many times during a game.  How many two on ones and three on ones did the Panthers have in last night's game?  If you don't have the speed (Hughes) then don't pinch.  Yes, it might be a more boring style but it is safer.  Green and his staff have to be able to see this when watching the film or do they?

Nailed it!

was it green or benning that told quinn to throw the puck to the florida player in front of the net or petey and brock to lose their positions at the blu line while covering for pinching d-men.  they fumbled their plays.  sad but not tragic. fans should take a valium and ride the season with the team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is huge (the bolded part)...I, too, wish we'd have more of a pack mentality.  

But, the flipside to that is that if teams start to target Petey & Quinne, that could be massive.  So it almost seems like they're letting sleeping dogs lie and not poking the bear?  But, at times, you want to see that abandoned as emotion should take over and the warriors come out.  Not just battling hard for the puck, but giving a damn good slam into the boards now and then to say "hey, no".  Edler's good for that on occasion, but we don't get nearly enough of it from the team.  None for the most part.

Well, pack mentality is good, but where's the teeth to back up any kind of snarl?

Someone leans on Pettersson, so who pushes back with any umph and threat? Boeser? Miller? And even if they did, do you want them sitting in the box, which would almost be as good as taking out Pettersson? What about defense? Who is normally on when Pettersson is on? The defense in that game provided a certain amount of physicality during game play, but after the whistle there was perhaps Benn(?) and how often does he play with Pettersson?

Certainly one can suggest that guys like Gaudette(?), Beagle, Schaller and Roussel should provide some push-back, but they (usually) aren't going to be on the ice with Pettersson for any sort of immediate retaliation, and any other time there's the risk of instigator penalties. 

Arguably the team is missing Ferlund (or a player of that sort), who can skate, play hockey and provide a physical presence.

regards,  G.

• Hydration 1