The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Florida Panthers | Jan. 09, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

We are not contenders this year. Stop treating this team like we are one. No one even thought we were locks for the playoffs this year. With that said, we have games in hand and if we win them, we are tied for 1st in the Pacific. We have bounced around the wild card spot for a while now, so no point talking about whether we are in a playoff position now or not. We are still in the fight.

It's not about accepting losing, it's about knowing the expectations of the team and we are right where we are suppose to be IMO which is continued growth of the team. We are a long ways away from knowing if we are a playoff team this year or not.

The target with spending to the cap and putting together the roster we have was to make the playoffs 

you think JB and Aquaman accepted at the beginning of the season we would NOT make the playoffs? 

you set a low bar for this team so I guess that’s  why you accept losing 

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Hahaha I’d love to make the playoffs and hope we do but my expectations were not to make the playoffs this year. I figure we are probably another year away.

And let me ask you something if they do squeak into the playoffs this year and lose in the first round are you going to mad because they didn’t win the cup and it’s all Greens fault hahaha

If we make it and lose out in round 1 I will still accept there was progress 

if Green can engineer that I would give him another year 

sadly I don’t think he will 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

@bree2 is right you know.  

Most reasonable understand where the Canucks are in their development as a team.  You certainly don't with your snap judgements.  

Saying people settle for losing is such a simplistic and naive way of looking at where this team is at.

We have a roster that is beyond developmental. I absolutely do not agree that this roster is not capable of making the playoffs 

you can’t possibly disagree that this team is not playing under any degree of a disciplined system can you? 

do you think we are consistently executing a plan and it’s simply the fact that we are young we are losing? 

I would strongly disagree with that 

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

What bugged me was a month and a bit of bad hockey and how many people consistently said “ it’s one game..etc” there was maybe 5-7 good games in November and (part of) December till they turned it around after the first week. Sure Marky played GREAT and Demko too and stole a couple games but true good team games were few and far between.. I’m not happy either. It’s great they went on a tear and stayed in the race but I think there’s something that’s gotta change. We’re seeing two different teams. And this is the first season with “expectations” and it will only increase over time. I’m hoping we include those expectations with the coaching staff along with the players. Not just one or the other. Doubt this group makes it very far into the playoffs. Lack of effort like last night, in a seven game series results in embarrassment. Again. 

I would agree 

I saw less upside issues in the games we won vs the glaring downside weaknesses that showed in games we lost 

some call it being negative but I want this team to win and when I see a cluster f out there it drives me nuts 

it does not have to be this way people. Look what Trotz did for the Islanders in such a short time 

quenneville in Florida, Gallant in Vegas, Tippett in Edmonton 

vet coaches are vets because they know what they are doing 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Perhaps playing a Eastern conference team, not wanting to risk injury and knowing there's still a long battle up ahead for a playoff drive allows the team to remain focused on the task at hand (the bigger picture) rather than worrying about making a statement against a team that we don't face again unless we meet in the Finals. I'd like to see some more physicality when things aren't going their way, but I also am not frustrated by the lack of it. I rather the team save their energy when the games become more meaningful and accept the losses for what they are and use them as learning experiences. I can see things heating up during the playoff drive and hopefully having those guys that have that grit healthy enough to play that game will help put us over the top. There has certainly been less teams taking liberties on our young guys this year, so there is some deterrence with having those players too.

Just as long as when it comes time to push they do. Not everyone has it in them the guys that do though have to. Worry about us playing Vegas 4 games in a row or more hopefully. I could see the injuries racking up.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

They are not our best players defensively. They are our most technically skilled players for the most part (Miller?). We do not line up our young guys in defensive alignments with the exception of Motte, Stetcher and Horvat. When Green can get our match ups, I.e. at home, we are much more successful - a view of our record establishes that.  Why should that be? Because he can protect our young guys and put them in a position to succeed - which Green does. In another post I pointed out where I thought coaching was a problem - it was to do with the entire defence with the exception of Edler, making poor decisions on pinches, and forwards making poor choices on when and how to fill when a defender pushes up.

Agree that our single biggest weakness is our defensive system or lack thereof 

we don’t know how to break a cycle and other than Hughes we have zero breakout ability 

our penalty killing consists of a static box that hopes for an errant pass and blocked shots. Zero aggressive puck pressure 

our power play is static positioning and passing hoping for a perfect shot that rarely comes 

our o zone entry consists of dump in chase, a strategy that dies not suit our physical makeup 

all these issues are coaching issues 

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I would agree 

I saw less upside issues in the games we won vs the glaring downside weaknesses that showed in games we lost 

some call it being negative but I want this team to win and when I see a cluster f out there it drives me nuts 

it does not have to be this way people. Look what Trotz did for the Islanders in such a short time 

Agree completely this team has all the tools and they show it a lot more often now and there are improvements on a wide scale but there’s also something wrong here complete defensive breakdown serval times this year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The target with spending to the cap and putting together the roster we have was to make the playoffs 

you think JB and Aquaman accepted at the beginning of the season we would NOT make the playoffs? 

you set a low bar for this team so I guess that’s  why you accept losing 

I have no doubt that we wanted to try to make the playoffs this year. If we don't but give it a good effort, that's where I believe the expectations of the team would be. No one thought we would be top contenders and be at the top of the standings at this point. We are right we should be, in a bubble spot fighting for a playoff spot.

We have spent to the cap because we have surrounded our youth with vets to help them grow. Detroit also has spent to the cap, what are they doing? We put together a roster that we would like to make that push, but it was not a foregone conclusion just like our season results which still has plenty of games left and we are within striking distance of 1st in the Pacific with the games in hand to accomplish that.

I haven't set a low bar, I have set an expectation from the offseason of where I think we should/would be and have stuck with it. The team isn't going to panic and make rash decisions. No one likes to lose, but you also can't win them all. But hey, good on you for expecting perfection, you're the one in the miserable state.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We've lost two in a row recently.  We do accept losing - it's part of it.  Teams lose, sometimes badly.

We just understand that not accepting it is pointless.  Whining, crying, complaining, moaning, bellyaching won't change anything...it's not in our control (unless we use the old don't buy the product argument...but you're here, so??).   All that stuff does is make this whole thing less enjoyable for everyone.  

I still stand firm that if it's that painful, there are options.  

There's the old serenity prayer ringing in my ear again....

We don't "play" and it's supposed to be "fun" for us...that's the beauty of it.  We don't have to carry the stress...the team does that for us because it's their responsibility, not ours.  Following hockey is a leisure activity, not a life sentence.

I don’t think we are really that different Deb. We both want the Canucks to win and I respect your passion and loyalty 

I don’t like the team any less when I call out the coaching. I see specific things on the ice that I know if corrected could result in better results 

I simply can’t sit by and just support the status quo 

I want different results 

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I have no doubt that we wanted to try to make the playoffs this year. If we don't but give it a good effort, that's where I believe the expectations of the team would be. No one thought we would be top contenders and be at the top of the standings at this point. We are right we should be, in a bubble spot fighting for a playoff spot.

We have spent to the cap because we have surrounded our youth with vets to help them grow. Detroit also has spent to the cap, what are they doing? We put together a roster that we would like to make that push, but it was not a foregone conclusion just like our season results which still has plenty of games left and we are within striking distance of 1st in the Pacific with the games in hand to accomplish that.

I haven't set a low bar, I have set an expectation from the offseason of where I think we should/would be and have stuck with it. The team isn't going to panic and make rash decisions. No one likes to lose, but you also can't win them all. But hey, good on you for expecting perfection, you're the one in the miserable state.

Perfection?

at this point I would be satisfied with a 1 goal competitive loss under Green!!! 

I have now changed my expectations back to when we had our last incompetent coach in Willie. Just try to lose only by 2 or 2 

9 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I would agree 

Trotz and Gallant are a couple of the best coaches in the game. Good on them being able to produce good teams. They weren't available for us to hire.

Quennville and Florida are in the same standings position as us in the East. Tippett and Edmonton are barely above us and we are in position to overtake them. I wouldn't call these fine examples of what's better out there than us. What has Babcock and DeBoer done as vet coaches? Become unemployed?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Perfection?

at this point I would be satisfied with a 1 goal competitive loss under Green!!! 

I have now changed my expectations back to when we had our last incompetent coach in Willie. Just try to lose only by 2 or 2 

So then you're reacting based on the last two games only? Should coaches have been fired in the games that we were blowing them out earlier this season?

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

We have a roster that is beyond developmental. I absolutely do not agree that this roster is not capable of making the playoffs 

you can’t possibly disagree that this team is not playing under any degree of a disciplined system can you? 

do you think we are consistently executing a plan and it’s simply the fact that we are young we are losing? 

I would strongly disagree with that 

We play a supposed system (dump and chase) and people complain about it. The players play with more freedom and it's still the coaches' fault. At what point are the players held accountable for not executing?

We have a team that could crack the playoffs, but we don't have a top contending team. Playoffs is the goal, it's not a lock. Right now, we are still well within the fight for a playoff spot, so what's the panic about?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I don’t think we are really that different Deb. We both want the Canucks to win and I respect your passion and loyalty 

I don’t like the team any less when I call out the coaching. I see specific things on the ice that I know if corrected could result in better results 

I simply can’t sit by and just support the status quo 

I want different results 

Different results?  The point is to win.  Not to win pretty.

I think the thing for me is this...it's almost suggesting you know more than the guys in place and I don't know that any of us do.  It seems easy enough on paper/from home/whateer..."just do_______" this or that but in getting an entire roster to perform according to that isn't that easy.   Sometimes there's more to it. 

The team has been struggling and goaltending's been huge in not exposing that in a glaring way.  Now it is.

But people get the flu.  Guys go through slumps but turn it around.  It isn't always a permanent fix that's needed so you work through for awhile until that's the determination.  You don't jump to it prematurely.  Green seems to have established a good rapport with his roster..that matters too.   The devil you know stuff.

Benning has said he knows the d needs to be better (heard it today).  "If corrected", as stated by you, is something they work at - but, unfortunately, it isn't that easy or every team would just be killing it.

Calling out the coaching is fine...but there are no guarantees that changing a coach will improve things.  Or Edmonton would have turned things around under Hitchcock instead of ditching him.  That's the first example that comes to my mind.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Trotz and Gallant are a couple of the best coaches in the game. Good on them being able to produce good teams. They weren't available for us to hire.

Quennville and Florida are in the same standings position as us in the East. Tippett and Edmonton are barely above us and we are in position to overtake them. I wouldn't call these fine examples of what's better out there than us. What has Babcock and DeBoer done as vet coaches? Become unemployed?

Tippet and quenneviille run solid d systems 

lets talk about Tippett, look what he did in Arizona with a complete team of unknowns. He put in a solid lock down d system and has put In the same system in Edmonton. Unless you believe smith and Koskinen are stud goalies how do think they Pilers have been able to compete defensively? The don’t have Marky back there so they have to play a solid d system and as much as I dislike them they do play a solid system  

• Wat 1