The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Jan. 11, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

They have no goalies, haven’t had one in years. Our team, despite my opinion of it being good on paper, is only surviving cause of our goaltending. 

Ditto and despite the truth that our goalies had been the x factor, I am still hoping for a playoff berth cause of the experience for the young core.  Hockey after all (like soccer), will mostly be dependent on the goalies performance, more so than other sports, were there is no goalies.   Just imagine, if we get a playoff berth and one of our goalie gets hot with this roster - just like McClean in 94 ?  Iam also very interested to see if the team has any playoff performers....

Also, if we get in and Markstrom continues his level of play - then he would had really earned that contract, in my opinion.

hoping neil patrick harris GIF

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Do you have a full time job coaching hockey at any level?

Seriously......I want to know because you talk like you do. You talk like you know more than an actual paid NHL coach so we are curious about what your qualifications are for such strong beliefs the system is no good.

Hit me up @realBabcock on Twitter and we can discuss my qualifications.::D

18 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Power Play:  Do you understand the difference between the words static and dynamic? Static means something stays the same, dynamic means it is constantly changing.  What we employ right now is a static powerplay. The players stand in the same spot and try to set up the same shots over and over. Its great that we've had so much success with the static system and it is a testament to just how skilled our PP1 line actually is. For an example of a dynamic PP check out an STL game some time. The players without the puck are constantly moving around and switching sides trying to create open ice and keep the D guessing. 

Defense: Be more aggressive on the puck/puck carrier. Dont just back up and allow the forwards to walk into our zone every time. Stop collapsing down into a 5 man box and merely trying to block shots giving the opposition all the time and space in the world to set up the perfect play. When Marky gives up a rebound actually go after the rebound instead of maintaining your 5 man box while the opposition goes to fetch the puck and try again.

Breakout:  This is my biggest pet peave and what caused me to get on Greens case in the first place when they were struggling mid way through last season. STOP PLAYING THE FORWARDS HIGH. Breakout of the zone as a 3 man unit providing puck support and passing options as you move up ice. Currently what we do is,  as soon as the  D gains possession of the puck the forwards race up the ice to go stand at the blue line. This gives the D only one passing option. To make a stretch pass through the neutral zone. You ever wonder why our D circle back in our zone so often? Because the forwards are covered and they don't have any other play besides to circle back or go D to D. When they are able to make the stretch pass the typical results are; it's too hot to handle and gets tipped in to the zone,  the pass gets picked off and the play comes the other way,  or the pass is successful but since the forward is standing still on the blue line when he accepts it he's quickly pressured off the puck or forced to dump it in.  We do this over and over all game long and it rarely ever succeeds.  

With a leauge leading  power play,  3 current All Stars and 2 former ones, 5 players all over 30 points mid way through the season, and an elite  goaltender you bet your a** we could be 10 games above .500 right now and running away with the division if we took a different approach to the game by employing better systems.  I've been following the Canucks for almost 30 years now and this just might be the most talented group of guys we've ever had. That's why it pains me so much to see it being squandered. As far as who should replace Green, well that's not my problem.  Whomever interviews well and has the right attitude.  Greens 'good enough is good enough' attitude isn't the attitude that wins championships.

Great analysis Cap, and well written.

The breakouts are painful. I hadn’t noticed the rebound issues, maybe I should look a little harder. 

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I wasn't talking about Washington a bonafide contender. I was talking about the Canucks a bubble team. No nights to take teams lightly for a team that has earned nothing yet. 

9 goals against FLD other night. If that's not a night off I don't know what would be considered one.

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Today's GDT was not a bright spot in the history of CDC. People that aren't Canucks first or 100% Canucks don't feel welcome here anymore and I think it's a problem. The thing I love about CDC is guys like SabresFan chatting with us. Seeing different points of views about other teams or even different points of views about our team we may not see. It's a shame how things are shaking up lately. 

Honestly I found the guy to be often rude and obnoxious to the point where I stayed away from this board for a while.

28 minutes ago, Schmutzhaken said:

Great analysis Cap, and well written.

The breakouts are painful. I hadn’t noticed the rebound issues, maybe I should look a little harder. 

Thanks man, sometimes I may come across as  overly critical of the team but its tough love, I assure you.  The rebound thing appears to be a recent development. During the winning streak and especially in the FL games I noticed on multiple occasions when the puck was loose and only a few feet away  our players wouldn't go for it but would instead maintain their 5 man box. It wasn't just 1 guy doing it so that's how I know it's a coaching thing and not just a player being lazy or whatever. 

• Cheers 1

Great win!

The team bounce back!

Broser bounce back!

Bo is hot in the recent games.

Motte is hot recently too.

Ericksson might become to the most EN scorer this season.

Canucks won due to shot more, deference more, move more fast.

Keep these in the to-morrow game, and will get the 2nd winning streak.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Tampa not Florida. And it wasn't the Canucks taking them lightly it was getting a beat down from an elite team.

Tampa Bay is a city in the state of Florida. I would know I've spent a considerable amount of my life in the US and went to school there for many years..

Ok sure. Why don't they beat bottom feeders by scoring 9 goals on the regular...

If they do that to Canucks they should be scoring 15 goals vs bottom 5 teams.

I've watched this sport for 45 years and I've never seen a team go 100% every single game of season . It's virtually impossible to do. 

Like I said if that was the case every game would be like a playoff game.. human body can't handle that. Too much wear and tear more than half the team would be out with injuries..

Edited by WHL rocks

1 hour ago, Kushman said:

I had to pvr the game so I missed the chat. Cliffs on what happened?

sabresfan1 called Canuck fans on the Canuck GDT homers.  As one would expect, Canuck fans then gave it to sabrefan1 like any fan from any other team would get after going onto the Canuck board and stirring up sh&%.

I went back to read all the pages...wasn't that exciting.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Great win!

The team bounce back!

Broser bounce back!

Bo is hot in the recent games.

Motte is hot recently too.

Ericksson might become to the most EN scorer this season.

Canucks won due to shot more, deference more, move more fast.

Keep these in the to-morrow game, and will get the 2nd winning streak.

I agree, Broser had a great game. 
Step one : shot more

Step two : Deference + move more fast

Step three : Profit. 

Haha I kid, good points Rabbit they had a great game.

Edited by Petey40

9 hours ago, pluralsight said:

In the last 6 years Buffalo have had: 

3 coaching changes

2 GM changes

6 top 10 picks

2 2nd overall picks

1 1st overall pick

Great win by the boys, but the Sabres are a pitiful franchise 

Funny because this seems to be the direction some fans wanted us to go in. Constant management change and tanking for top end picks.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Tampa Bay is a city in the state of Florida. I would know I've spent a considerable amount of my life in the US and went to school there for many years..

Ok sure. Why don't they beat bottom feeders by scoring 9 goals on the regular...

If they do that to Canucks they should be scoring 15 goals vs bottom 5 teams.

I've watched this sport for 45 years and I've never seen a team go 100% every single game of season . It's virtually impossible to do. 

Like I said if that was the case every game would be like a playoff game.. human body can't handle that. Too much wear and tear more than half the team would be out with injuries..

Never said they go 100%, they're just not stupid enough to take any team in the NHL lightly... Not that hard to comprehend