The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL redraft, Pettersson goes 1st overall. Benning era best drafting in Canucks history

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Rumour was that NYR was going to pick him at 7th overall but with us taking EP, they ended up with Lias Anderson lol

My guess is that even if we didn't take him, he would have been picked in top 10 and this would have turned into yet another "shoulda drafted Kopitar" thing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no question at all that the Benning tenure has been the best time for home grown talent, its not really close. 

I think if Jake hits 50 pts thats one more 1st rounder that worked out, and all thats left really is Juolevi cracking the top 4 and its a heck of a record. Podkolzin is going to be a fan favourite imo with that work ethic. Good times. 

Jake has been awesome lately.  I agree. I really think he might actually turn into something special finally. 

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Jake has been awesome lately.  I agree. I really think he might actually turn into something special finally. 

right now he's on pace for 22 goals, 44 pits... if he can reach that 50 point mark I think thats worth a 1st round selection. Whats exciting too is his play away from the puck, he seems to have finally figured that out and become a complete player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Cody Glass at 5, maybe I wasn't THAT crazy for wanting him. I feel better now :)

I remember at the draft that scout said if Petey were 15 pounds heavier he would have gone 1st overall. And during his draft+1 season it was evident why. Kid was all world that year and continued to build on it. 

Edited by N7Nucks

where would Hughes go in a re-draft? 650 broadcast team were saying how they like him more than dahlin. I think he would possibly go number 2-3, Brady is a great player, but Quinn can control a game. Svechnikov is a stud tho, he'd go number 1.

Jakey starting to look like a top 6 forward. 

Boess was a steal at 23. 

Gaudette, demko, tryamkin were great picks.

then there is a whole legion of guys who look poised for good to great NHL careers- dipietro, Lind, pod, hogs, madden, rathbone, I think OJ will play in the nhl.

while they are no longer playing for us, McCann and forsling are also nhl'ers

2014- NHL Draft- he pick 7 players, 5 have played in the nhl - that's amazing

2015- 3/7 (and maybe Jasek will play) 

2016-his worst draft, currently 0/7 but OJ will probably play at least some in the nhl. I am doubtful of Lockwood, but who knows

2017- Pettersson  is a star and dipietro have already played games and lind and rathbone are likely to play, maybe gadjo, could end up being another 5/7 draft

2018- hughes is a star, madden looks exciting and woo and utunen may play in the nhl as last pairing d, could be 4/6 but more likely 2/6

2019- podz and high look like the only guys who will play in the nhl here (2/9)

projected success 2/9+2/6+4/8+1/7+3/7+5/7 = 17/44 = 38% success rate at drafting.

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Craziest part though is even Boeser at 23, people were shocked at the draft. Everyone was like " who the hell is Brock Boeser ". Almost everyone was clammerimg for Merkley when he fell. Nobody was expecting that pick, or really the Pettersson pick, and they just might be the two best draft picks in franchise history ( for where we got them). 

Pettersson was on the 1st round radar, but i still remeber everyone being upset when news broke they brought him in for a seond interview and may not pick Cody Glass ( the consensus obvious pick for us in that spot ). 

Yeah, picking Brock in 2015 was truly amazing. Pastrnak is obviously better player at this point but us picking Brock is like Bruins picking Pastrnak with 25th pick. 

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

where would Hughes go in a re-draft? 650 broadcast team were saying how they like him more than dahlin. I think he would possibly go number 2-3, Brady is a great player, but Quinn can control a game. Svechnikov is a stud tho, he'd go number 1.

Jakey starting to look like a top 6 forward. 

Boess was a steal at 23. 

Gaudette, demko, tryamkin were great picks.

then there is a whole legion of guys who look poised for good to great NHL careers- dipietro, Lind, pod, hogs, madden, rathbone, I think OJ will play in the nhl.

while they are no longer playing for us, McCann and forsling are also nhl'ers

2014- NHL Draft- he pick 7 players, 5 have played in the nhl - that's amazing

2015- 3/7 (and maybe Jasek will play) 

2016-his worst draft, currently 0/7 but OJ will probably play at least some in the nhl. I am doubtful of Lockwood, but who knows

2017- Pettersson  is a star and dipietro have already played games and lind and rathbone are likely to play, maybe gadjo, could end up being another 5/7 draft

2018- hughes is a star, madden looks exciting and woo and utunen may play in the nhl as last pairing d, could be 4/6 but more likely 2/6

2019- podz and high look like the only guys who will play in the nhl here (2/9)

projected success 2/9+2/6+4/8+1/7+3/7+5/7 = 17/44 = 38% success rate at drafting.

I would still pick Dahlin at #1 because once he develops, he should become a better than Hughes on defensive end while being only slightly worse than Hughes on the offensive end.

It remains to be seen how good Hayton, Tkachuk, and Zadina are going to be but right now:

1. Dahlin (#1 defenceman in the mold of Hedman)

2. Svechnikov (40 goal scorer)

3. Hughes (one of the best, if not the best breakout machine in the NHL)

• Upvote 2

I was upset with the Pettersson pick, though it had nothing to do with Petey himself. After they acquired Dahlen I was convinced they only picked Pettersson because they were teammates and BFFs  and wanted another duo of Swedish forwards like a Great Value brand Sedins. In hindsight, they likely took Dahlen in the Burrows deal because they were targeting Pettersson, not the other way around.

People who complain about the regime's drafting are just looking for a reason to cry. Its been extremely solid. Yes there have been a few eyebrow raising moves but nothing horrific, their record is pretty great compared to most teams in that era. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Craziest part though is even Boeser at 23, people were shocked at the draft. Everyone was like " who the hell is Brock Boeser ". Almost everyone was clammerimg for Merkley when he fell. Nobody was expecting that pick, or really the Pettersson pick, and they just might be the two best draft picks in franchise history ( for where we got them). 

Pettersson was on the 1st round radar, but i still remeber everyone being upset when news broke they brought him in for a seond interview and may not pick Cody Glass ( the consensus obvious pick for us in that spot ). 

Not even close. Pavel Bure was the best draft pick in franchise history for where we got him.

One could argue that Bieksa and Edler are up there too.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I was upset with the Pettersson pick, though it had nothing to do with Petey himself. After they acquired Dahlen I was convinced they only picked Pettersson because they were teammates and BFFs  and wanted another duo of Swedish forwards like a Great Value brand Sedins. In hindsight, they likely took Dahlen in the Burrows deal because they were targeting Pettersson, not the other way around.

People who complain about the regime's drafting are just looking for a reason to cry. Its been extremely solid. Yes there have been a few eyebrow raising moves but nothing horrific, their record is pretty great compared to most teams in that era. 

I agree.

I think the draft has been an event that fans have had the luxury of relying on a GM like Benning.

Different from the previous GM's we've had.