Sign in to follow this  
cuporbust

2017 NHL redraft, Pettersson goes 1st overall. Benning era best drafting in Canucks history

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Burkes first rounders won a hart and Ted Lindsey and a selke and it's great to lead the rookies in the league in scoring but your post is projecting and that's why I say the facts show Burke right now is still ahead but like you pointed it won't be for long , just until his prospects take the next step and I don't mean Petey and Hughes. 

Also brock and Hughes were gifts from the hockey gods (Brock and Quinn were ranked higher then we got them and petey that's 100% on Jim and the guys). 

Jim has hit on more players or it looks to be that way but until they skate in the NHL we don't know what they are. 

Of course we won't be able to properly compare Burke and JB until picks are all retired the same way right?   To be clear taking Burkes picks a few years after he picked them - and JBs now it's not even close.   Benning is the clear better drafter.

 

Also Burke had the luxury of the Linden deal and others which give him credit for doing - but it gave him one of the Sedins - and a whole lot more picks - where as JB had no extras to work with thanks to his predecessor - with the exception of the Mcaan pick.  

 

The other "hits"  being Allen and Umberger, borderline bust and just ok relative to draft position.  Burke also had the luxury of some drafts of 10-12 picks, and two of those had zero (2000 and 2002

) returns.   Overall his drafting in Vancouver would have been dreadful if the Sedins didn't work out which of course they did, even with them it was middling at best given where he picked.   Spend some time and go look at them.  Two of his years were complete disappointments, two were below average (Allen and Umberger), one was good and one was great.

 

As far as the Sedins winning hardware - yes they did - but Crosby was on fire when he did play back then, posting eye popping stats - no way the Sedins win anything if he wasn't out so the hockey gods played into it.  Also feel Perry shouldn't have won the Hart either (D Sedin should have) considered the weakest Hart of the modern era (as in they are not all created equal by THN). 

 

Burkes draft record in ANA wasn't so good either, he's definitely hung his legacy on Pronger and the Sedins overall. 

 

In six drafts he managed Allen, Ruutu, Chubarov, Sedins, Umberger, Kesler and Bieksa AND he had seven drafts worth of picks to do it with (six firsts multiple seconds etc). 

 

Yes we will have to wait - but Tryamkin would be on par for fourth overall Allen if he stayed as far as games played in a year or so....aside from the Sedins, Kesler and Bieksa the rest of Burkes picks can already be judged. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 10:01 AM, RowdyCanuck said:

Burkes first rounders won a hart and Ted Lindsey and a selke and it's great to lead the rookies in the league in scoring but your post is projecting and that's why I say the facts show Burke right now is still ahead but like you pointed it won't be for long , just until his prospects take the next step and I don't mean Petey and Hughes. 

Also brock and Hughes were gifts from the hockey gods (Brock and Quinn were ranked higher then we got them and petey that's 100% on Jim and the guys). 

Jim has hit on more players or it looks to be that way but until they skate in the NHL we don't know what they are. 

I agree that we need another ten years to judge or compare the two GMs records.  Factually Burke missed a lot more on all of his firsts (BUF, VAN, ANA,TO) then JB has managed so far in his career but it's not really fair given how much more Burke drafted.   In the end both him and Nonis are responsible for the best team we've ever had in the regular season (the Linden teams had a lot more success in the post season - which makes Quin our best GM so far).  

 

Also Burke was arguably better at his other duties as a GM then JB - although I do believe he's getting better with experience.   Burkes failures in TO tarnished his legacy - but he also did draft likely three HHOfers.   Based on the eye test it's looking like good odds JB has drafted one for sure in EP - and good odds he's drafted out Niedermayer/Keith/Housley hybrid in QH.   All incredible skaters with a penchant for offense and good possession stat.    Silly to say this - but fifteen or so years my money is on EP and QH both having incredible careers,  EP Alien moniker fits - nobody like him ... he's already equal to what the Sedins managed during their peak minus their one off great seasons at around 30.   They both took an extra year before coming it, but the biggest difference is in the quality of play right off the hop.   EP is already considered top ten by position, and BB is the 4th best R wing already too.   

 

Nothing against what the Sedins accomplished - started in the dead puck era and for two years weren't even sure themselves if they'd make it in this league.   Eventually grew into two stars.   Kesler was great too.   Horvat might have been MG best move. The future is bright..

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 5:23 PM, Canucks Curse said:

where would Hughes go in a re-draft? 650 broadcast team were saying how they like him more than dahlin. I think he would possibly go number 2-3, Brady is a great player, but Quinn can control a game. Svechnikov is a stud tho, he'd go number 1.

 

Jakey starting to look like a top 6 forward. 

Boess was a steal at 23. 

 

Gaudette, demko, tryamkin were great picks.

 

 

then there is a whole legion of guys who look poised for good to great NHL careers- dipietro, Lind, pod, hogs, madden, rathbone, I think OJ will play in the nhl.

 

while they are no longer playing for us, McCann and forsling are also nhl'ers

 

2014- NHL Draft- he pick 7 players, 5 have played in the nhl - that's amazing

2015- 3/7 (and maybe Jasek will play) 

2016-his worst draft, currently 0/7 but OJ will probably play at least some in the nhl. I am doubtful of Lockwood, but who knows

2017- Pettersson  is a star and dipietro have already played games and lind and rathbone are likely to play, maybe gadjo, could end up being another 5/7 draft

2018- hughes is a star, madden looks exciting and woo and utunen may play in the nhl as last pairing d, could be 4/6 but more likely 2/6

2019- podz and high look like the only guys who will play in the nhl here (2/9)

 

projected success 2/9+2/6+4/8+1/7+3/7+5/7 = 17/44 = 38% success rate at drafting.

Hughes has been picking it up...if he keeps up the point per game pace he has been on for awhile now he may get close in points to Svech. ...and a D with that many points is more valuable and much more rare than a forward...I think I would grab him #1 in a re-draft...he is also better than Dahlin defensively and more dynamic on offense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 4:06 AM, RowdyCanuck said:

@Cup2022 what's funny? 

Jim has picked some great prospects but that's what they are right now. 

Burke on the other hand drafted the Sedins , Kesler , Juice and didn't he draft edler too? Not mention he signed burrows. Burke pretty much built two cores while he was here. ( pretty much the core that went to the cup was Burkes and can't forget the WCE days)

so  Burke has well we all know what the sedins did and Kesler won the selke. 

Remind me what has Jim's picks won again?

So Jim still has a lil ways to go before getting ahead of Burke in my books. 

Don't get me wrong, I think jims picks will turn out better but going by facts ,Burke is still the better.....

Burke drafted well, made a huge splash and made possibly the best draft day trades of all time to grab the Sedins.  

 

The Bertuzzi incident really imploded his plan and work.  Luongo was the only saving grace.  

 

He had a great thing building up.  The he just couldn't get a goalie and he also never got the twins a solid winger.  

 

For the number of deals he made and picks he selected his overall avg was just avg.  Made some really good late round steals in Bieksa and Hansen.  

 

 

Sounds like your a have to see it to believe guy with futures vs past.  

 

Personally I see Petersson having a higher ceiling than either Sedin. 

 

Brock is going to have Danny like production.  

 

Hughes is hands down better than any d man Burke has ever drafted expect Pronger.  

 

Gaudette, Jake and Demko are all either exceeding or achieving expectations.  

 

For Burke, he did hell build a decent team, but he had Bertuzzi, Jovoniski, Naslund about to explode, if you like Burke, you have to thank Keenan, if you like Nonis, you have to thank Burke and Keenan, of you like MG, well thank Nonis and Burke.  

 

Who does JB have to thank for the building blocks to stand on..... no one.  

 

MG ran the tank dry in the cup run.  Torts came in and broke what was left.  

 

I see JB's returns are already coming in and they are better earlier than Burke's. Not a guarantee, but too me, already better than any GM's drafting going back to the Linden era.  Prior to that it was so awful it should just be ignored.  

 

 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Burke drafted well, made a huge splash and made possibly the best draft day trades of all time to grab the Sedins.  

 

The Bertuzzi incident really imploded his plan and work.  Luongo was the only saving grace.  

 

He had a great thing building up.  The he just couldn't get a goalie and he also never got the twins a solid winger.  

 

For the number of deals he made and picks he selected his overall avg was just avg.  Made some really good late round steals in Bieksa and Hansen.  

 

 

Sounds like your a have to see it to believe guy with futures vs past.  

 

Personally I see Petersson having a higher ceiling than either Sedin. 

 

Brock is going to have Danny like production.  

 

Hughes is hands down better than any d man Burke has ever drafted expect Pronger.  

 

Gaudette, Jake and Demko are all either exceeding or achieving expectations.  

 

For Burke, he did hell build a decent team, but he had Bertuzzi, Jovoniski, Naslund about to explode, if you like Burke, you have to thank Keenan, if you like Nonis, you have to thank Burke and Keenan, of you like MG, well thank Nonis and Burke.  

 

Who does JB have to thank for the building blocks to stand on..... no one.  

 

MG ran the tank dry in the cup run.  Torts came in and broke what was left.  

 

I see JB's returns are already coming in and they are better earlier than Burke's. Not a guarantee, but too me, already better than any GM's drafting going back to the Linden era.  Prior to that it was so awful it should just be ignored.  

 

 

I agree our young players will be better then those legends even at their prime and that's what I'm waiting for and I don't have to wait long to see that. 

 

 

 

Edit* Burke is the only Gm I've seen put together atleast five top six players until Jim's guys come in. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 12:29 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay I'll give you Brock and kes but Sedins were picked in the weakest draft I've ever seen and Jim picked Hughes in a deep draft and I would say petey's draft wasn't that weak either....

all I'm saying is your putting Hughes , Petey and Brock against kes and the Sedins and I'm sorry I haven't seen those three win anything yet or reach 40 goals. 

I agree they will be better then burkes picks but we won't know until they prove it or they make the playoffs and other high end prospects develop and become full time nhl players. 

Okay let me point something out your comparing legends to players that haven't played five years in the league yet.....I'm not saying Burke is the better scout I'm saying burkes draft picks have accomplish something in the NHL and no one on the Canucks have YET.

thats why I say it's premature. 

I still think Jim will go down as the best but we need to give his players time to accomplish something before comparing them to the legends.....

 

edit* to be fair I would hope Jim is the best at draft, I think his had the most high picks of any Gm that comes to mind but I could be wrong. 

Seem to remember Allen was around 4th overall and of course the Sedins were 2 and 3.   That draft turned out to be a total dud despite the Sedins and it was one of the best moves Burke ever made, and one of the best moves ever IMO in our entire history (Quins Bure is the best...JB EP is going to end up with these two of course).   EPs draft was considered medicocre and was also a bjt of a let down considering how loaded the previous two were and how much they were hyped (and rightly so). 

 

If JB stopped right now the odds are very good he will end up as the best drafter ever considering when he picked and who he took .  OJ, EP, and even QH were all a little off the board based on the general consensus, and he took BB where as of course he didn't have too.    JV wasn't off board by some of the top guys ..

 

surprisingly and of course Podz was a big slip that we took full advantage of.  Just  his first rounders he's at worst 5-2 and that's only if OJ and Podz don't make it.  Burke also had a ton of extra picks - and two of his drafts were down right awful especially considering how many picks he had (three drafts worth). 

 

Its funny too given what Burke kept saying when he did the draft and we were up..."that's a small body gentleman, that's a very small body" ha ha.    He also said when he drafted skating was way down the list of what they looked at given its consider the EASIEST skill to train.  And now it's speed speeds speed for the top three.

 

Going to say the league has always had speedy guys (nobody has broken Gartners record- now they let them take a few steps so of course their laps are faster just silly) but in general the league is faster.   Other skills?  Gone down.  Including the art of hitting and shooting the puck.   The league is also getting smaller, who'd have known Mad Mike Milbury was right in his pansification predictions two decades ago.   No enforcers and anything and everything is a penalty now.  Off topic but it's reflected big time in the drafting and I'm not sure QH would survive in the 1970-2004 league. 

 

 

Quin and Burke both liked their big dudes.  Stajanov, Antoski back to back for Quin, Allen and Umberger, Bernier and no-name busts for Burke.   

 

JB has definitely accepted the changes and adapted.  And he's definitely got a leg up on most of his predecessors on guys past the first round....and batting  above the league average.    Is it his staff  for the most part? -  he's more active then most as we've seen in the audio in the past (pointing out Lind for example) from what has been written on the subject,  GMs only have input on their first rounders for the most part - after that it's all their scouting staff.   His is pretty darn exceptional and he's active in the entire process.

 

  Linden was right in hiring him.  Whatever happened between JB Linden and ownership might come out one day.   Hated that Linden was used as a deflector shield while he was President - to me it's the only real black mark on JB tenure.  Can forgive LE and all his signings, and a huge part of that is because he's drafted a crafty bunch of guys and given me hope where I never for a second figured we had a hope in hell of competing back to back.  Keenan, Burke, Nonis all had a ton of extras to work with thanks to the Linden team.  Bertuzzi, Naslund, McCabe, Bure, Mogilny, Morrison, Jovo, Luongo, one of the Sedins ...

 

Heck even now the Linden trade lives on in Markstrom.   All JB got from a top team was Sutter, a young Horvat and Markstrom.  Pathetic really - the league has a lot of OLD expansion rules teams that started out with more.  Don't believe me just go look at our team record for least amount of goals scored early on this cycle.

 

 Figured at best we'd have parts of this core and the next one before we even made the playoffs ... and that we'd struggle like CAR has and ARI has and CLB did/still is ... the ONLY reason we are not is JB and his team.   If Lindens legacy as President is just hiring him then fine.   As far as I'm concerned JB could miss on every draft pick the next two years and still best Burke.  This is his area of power and he's made me a believer (no way I'd have picked EP or QH).   Wonder what he will do next?

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Brock has the second highest goals per 60 mintues out of his draft year, behind only McDavid.  

 

Petersson is on pace for 40goals this year.  Danny hit 40 only once, same with Kesler.  

 

Added to that the twins didn't even hit NA until they were 21.  

 

They and Petersson nearly tied in rookie scoring, both Sedins score 29 goals combined, Petersson scored 28 goals.  Petersson had more total points than the Sedins in their respective rookie seasons.  Pettersson nearly doubled Hank's rookie assist total of 20 with 38.  Daniel cam in 3rd with 14 assists.  

 

So far Petersson is outscoring the twins and is doing it 2 years sooner.  

 

  

Yep.   The Sedins had a lot of flak early on...it wasn't easy for the fans or for them.   Noted they retired as the all-time leading scorers and games played, we can only hope that EP and his mates also stay and become icons too.   The Sedin era was bitter sweet.   Don't anyone who would place them above the Linden era but I'm sure there are some (people that weren't kids back then).   Glad we had them - but also glad (and relieved) that we are starting a new chapter so soon after they retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   The Sedins had a lot of flak early on...it wasn't easy for the fans or for them.   Noted they retired as the all-time leading scorers and games played, we can only hope that EP and his mates also stay and become icons too.   The Sedin era was bitter sweet.   Don't anyone who would place them above the Linden era but I'm sure there are some (people that weren't kids back then).   Glad we had them - but also glad (and relieved) that we are starting a new chapter so soon after they retired.

Agreed on all points.  

 

I dont want to be seen to bash the twins.  But they did struggle early, really struggle.  Much like the end if their career, their liabilities started to outweigh their strengths.  IMO 5v5 they should have been split up.  

 

Their longevity was fantastic, their commitment to training and hockey was legendary.  

 

They took us to the peak, but not over it.  

 

This group has alot to prove, but they are currently on a higher trajectory than the old core.  

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Brock has the second highest goals per 60 mintues out of his draft year, behind only McDavid.  

 

Petersson is on pace for 40goals this year.  Danny hit 40 only once, same with Kesler.  

 

Added to that the twins didn't even hit NA until they were 21.  

 

They and Petersson nearly tied in rookie scoring, both Sedins score 29 goals combined, Petersson scored 28 goals.  Petersson had more total points than the Sedins in their respective rookie seasons.  Pettersson nearly doubled Hank's rookie assist total of 20 with 38.  Daniel cam in 3rd with 14 assists.  

 

So far Petersson is outscoring the twins and is doing it 2 years sooner.  

 

  

Okay problem with that is your comparing two different era's and that's why I say let's wait what two years max to see Jim's young guys show up the old legends and in faster time. 

Then it's not us projecting its facts. 

Also kes is different you cant just judge by points too and also he might have only reached 40 goals once but he was a selke finalist what five years in a row and bo hasn't came close to that and neither have Petey but I can see them both winning one in the future.

im just saying let's pump the brakes just a bit and let the kids play and they will destroy the old benchmarks set by the legends and then a poster like me has nothing has no argument and I've already stated Jim will go down as the best drafting Gm we have ever seen so why not give him a year to really lock down that spot as top dog. 

I don't like projecting to much on these kids cause we don't even know for 100% what we have in them yet....

 

 

(FYI I hated the Sedins time as Canucks so please don't make me defend them ha) 

 

 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burke's draft in 2000, oof... 0 NHL games played out of all players drafted...

 

Sedins sway his drafting with the Canucks from just ok to pretty good.

 

We'll see with Benning, but his ability to find players in later rounds looks to be impactful so far... (and yes I know Burke nabbed Bieksa in the 5th round)

Edited by awalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   The Sedins had a lot of flak early on...it wasn't easy for the fans or for them.   Noted they retired as the all-time leading scorers and games played, we can only hope that EP and his mates also stay and become icons too.   The Sedin era was bitter sweet.   Don't anyone who would place them above the Linden era but I'm sure there are some (people that weren't kids back then).   Glad we had them - but also glad (and relieved) that we are starting a new chapter so soon after they retired.

Very early on they were labeled as the Sedin sisters, for their soft play. They were not the fastest nor biggest guys on the ice and were pushed around a lot.

 

Elias is not the biggest guy. While he has not finished growing, the future bodes really well for him and the Canucks.  At full height and weight he will continue to be elusive, very strong on the puck, and a laser for a shot. 

 

I also think that Elias and Brock are the best snipers that we have had since Naslund.

Edited by jmfaminoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay problem with that is your comparing two different era's and that's why I say let's wait what two years max to see Jim's young guys show up the old legends and in faster time. 

Then it's not us projecting its facts. 

Also kes is different you cant just judge by points too and also he might have only reached 40 goals once but he was a selke finalist what five years in a row and bo hasn't came close to that and neither have Petey but I can see them both winning one in the future.

im just saying let's pump the brakes just a bit and let the kids play and they will destroy the old benchmarks set by the legends and then a poster like me has nothing has no argument and I've already stated Jim will go down as the best drafting Gm we have ever seen so why not give him a year to really lock down that spot as top dog. 

I don't like projecting to much on these kids cause we don't even know for 100% what we have in them yet....

 

 

(FYI I hated the Sedins time as Canucks so please don't make me defend them ha) 

 

 

Not bashing the twins.  

 

Different era's, different drafts.  You get the hand your dealt.  Burke also had Naslund, Bure, McCabe, Bertuzzi etc already on his roster.  He had spent years in the organization and was familiar with everyone.  

 

JB did pretty damn good with the hands he was dealt, far better than anyone gave him credit for at the time.  His only real trading chip was Kesler, but Kesler handcuffed him to Anahiem.  

 

It was like watching an expansion team from the 90's for a while.  

 

Burke landed the twins in a horrible draft year and made the best trade in canucks history.  People often point to the Naslund deal, but getting both twins was game changing.  

 

Looking back to that draft, if Burke didn't get the twins, disaster follows.

 

Wait and see, sure.  I agree.  One thing you have to agree on, if it is just fact based.  So far Bo, Brock, Elias and Quinn are all outperforming any of the Burke era draftees in their comparable years, either by age or by season.  Kesler didn't really hit his stride until he was 25.  Bo was surpassing Kesler in terms of production at 21.  

 

Kesler didn't start to dominate the Selkie stuff until Manny arrives and AV started his deployment strategy.  Manny made that system hum.  

 

Many thought Manny put Kesler over the top.  Bo has a broken Sutter... and is still growing as a player.  Kot there yet... 

 

Elias is hands down better than any Canuck not named Bure or Hughes.  

 

Hughes will give Elias a run for the money over their careers.  Both are out producing Hank by a 2 to 1 margin.  

 

Brock is producing at a higher rate than Danny ar the same age.  

 

Different era's, but Elias is doubling the twins production, 2 years younger.  Without a Naslund or Bertuzzi to shelter him.  

 

So is Hughes.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Burr 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved how the Sportsnets guys were like...he will be a great player in a couple of years. A year later he's playing on the NHL Roster. 

 

Sometimes it's not just the player but the player's situation that helps them excel with the team and in the NHL environment. Funny how a couple redrafts have us picking Glass who a lot of Canucks fans wanted us to pick. Benning has a pretty good track record in the draft in the 1st rd so far as really the only player not on the team/in the system is McCann. I'm still holding out hope for Juolevi. Gaudette and Madden look like steals

That was the year the kid tried to steal the spotlight and make the pick :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree our young players will be better then those legends even at their prime and that's what I'm waiting for and I don't have to wait long to see that. 

 

 

 

Edit* Burke is the only Gm I've seen put together atleast five top six players until Jim's guys come in. 

Burke already had the guys - based on what you said you have to go back and look at what Quin did.  He was a master builder/trader - his drafting was above average too.  Linden, Nedved, Bure - and then he also added Ronning, Courtnall, Mommesso etc.   Burkes work was tied heavily to Keenan's (as another poster phat fingers mentioned).    And Quins trades in adding Jovo and Naslund - two key guys in the WCE era.   Burkes legacy for the Canucks didn't show much of anything until he was long gone.   Nonis put the icing on the cake when he traded Bertuzzi...and really a lot of it comes down to the Linden trade - the gift that keeps on giving right until right now in Markstrom...also without it only one Sedin would have been drafted...incredible really. 

 

Edit:  the point is Quin also put together even more then that.  Plus he made one of the most lopsided trades in history with Naslund, and his second overall pick in Linden reverberates even to this day.   No GM can touch him so far.  Best coach and best GM we've ever had and really it's not even close.  His fingerprints are all over the WCE and Sedin era - and they still have an impact on the team we have now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Burke already had the guys - based on what you said you have to go back and look at what Quin did.  He was a master builder/trader - his drafting was above average too.  Linden, Nedved, Bure - and then he also added Ronning, Courtnall, Mommesso etc.   Burkes work was tied heavily to Keenan's (as another poster phat fingers mentioned).    And Quins trades in adding Jovo and Naslund - two key guys in the WCE era.   Burkes legacy for the Canucks didn't show much of anything until he was long gone.   Nonis put the icing on the cake when he traded Bertuzzi...and really a lot of it comes down to the Linden trade - the gift that keeps on giving right until right now in Markstrom...also without it only one Sedin would have been drafted...incredible really. 

If I was older during Quinn's time you would be right but I did read Quinn's book and That's a great read other then losing out on 99 cause of stupid ownership. 

In quinns time I cared more about the players then the GM lol

 

Ive watched as we have never had an elite top six like the Hawks had or kings or the list goes on. 

Burke came the closest in my opinion. 

 

Fyi I'm only 26 lol so ssorry I'm a lil bias ha. 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 4:50 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Agreed on all points.  

 

I dont want to be seen to bash the twins.  But they did struggle early, really struggle.  Much like the end if their career, their liabilities started to outweigh their strengths.  IMO 5v5 they should have been split up.  

 

Their longevity was fantastic, their commitment to training and hockey was legendary.  

 

They took us to the peak, but not over it.  

 

This group has alot to prove, but they are currently on a higher trajectory than the old core.  

 

One thing you have to remember about the Sedins when they came in. (They even admitted this in a interview after they retired.)

 

They said back then players coming into the league weren't as in shape as the players are now. The Sedin's clearly weren't in shape when the entered the league and they struggled for that and many other reasons. It also took them time to adjust to how physical the game is in the NHL. It wasn't until after the lockout where they really started to deliver results.  Later on in their careers they could outlast players by cycling the puck and consistently topped the canucks fitness tests. They turned a weakness into a strength. 

 

Thank god we stuck with them and didn't trade them in the early years. 

Edited by Unknown1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Hughes wins calder that would be incredible. 

Has a team had back to back calder winners or even a calder finalist followed by back to back winners? 

Thats 3 seasons in a row where we have top 3 talent in the entire league. 

That means out of I dont know how many rookies players from 2016-2017 onwards but we have 3 of the consensus top 9 players

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.