The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Jan. 12, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Anybody belive this was our point leader list (only) 3 years ago.. my how far we have come

BAE0DF79-C9DB-4CD9-AF8D-EE2151509A49.jpeg

Current point leaders this season 46 games in... night and day

1. Petey 48

2. Miller 45

3. Boeser 43

4. Horvat 40

5. Pearson 34

6. Hughes 32

7. Virtanen 25

Edited by Chicken.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

no doubt this team can score. but still gotta work on our defensive game

That will come organically through experience.  People razz Horvat on here and I just want to shake my head.  At home he's relied on heavily each game to match up against the very best in the league regularly and him and Pearson often outscore their opponents despite the level of competition they face.   

Look at who we have on defense right now.   It's better then Hutton, Gudbranson, Del Zotto etc.   It's definitely not prime Sedin/WCE/Linden good and won't ever be given who's playing, but they are playing to their better level - not best because QH is a rookie but pretty close.  

Reminds me a little of the run and gun style Crawford played - it's entertaining and no complaints here.   We don't have Cloutier in net ha ha.  

We simply don't have the players to do much better defensively-Sutter our hurts but he's not going to keep that many pucks out of the net on his own.

The team is playing to or maybe a little bit above expectations.   We are not an experienced team.  It's young and settling in after a big roster change.  Expecting a big change in goals against this year isn't realistic.  Same with next year.   But it will change and get better over time.  Almost every core player doesn't ignore defense and plays a good 200 foot game.  Including BB.  

• Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

ThE tEaM hAs ReGrEsSeD uNdEr GrEeN

Thanks 73,  that made my day.   NO improvements indeed.  Button was right.  As usual.   When's the last time we had this many points at this point in the season?  Teams are scared of us now and they should be. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Lol you don’t know what it is to steal a game anymore.  Anytime our goalie slightly outplays the other side apparently it’s a stolen two points regardless of how good our team played in front of him?  We dominated the game and our defence was incredible limiting the Wild to 16 shots until 10 minutes left in the third.  Markstrom played well, but you’re really just discrediting how good our team played as a whole especially defensively.

Comparing scoring chances to scoring chances they outnumbered us. Just because you're taking perimeter shots and racking up shot totals doesn't mean that we were equal in terms of scoring chances. We were good through 2, clearly the better team. That third period was absolutely horrific though. They had about 10 grade A chances (probably 12 or so scoring chances total) to our what, 4? I'd say our scoring chances were around the 7 mark. I don't recall Dubnyk actually making a save that made you go, "Wow, I can't believe he robbed that one!". Closest I can recall is the one on Petey below the hash marks coming in wide. Maybe the one on Boeser? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Comparing scoring chances to scoring chances they outnumbered us. Just because you're taking perimeter shots and racking up shot totals doesn't mean that we were equal in terms of scoring chances. We were good through 2, clearly the better team. That third period was absolutely horrific though. They had about 10 grade A chances (probably 12 or so scoring chances total) to our what, 4? I'd say our scoring chances were around the 7 mark. I don't recall Dubnyk actually making a save that made you go, "Wow, I can't believe he robbed that one!". Closest I can recall is the one on Petey below the hash marks coming in wide. Maybe the one on Boeser? 

Watching the game I did not see 10 Grade A chances by the wild in the 3rd period.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Watching the game I did not see 10 Grade A chances by the wild in the 3rd period.

REALLY? He made 3 in like a span of 5 seconds alone on the backdoor pass. 

Did you forget how many times he stopped one-timers in the last 8 minutes?

In the highlight clip alone there were 9 scoring chances for the Wild in comparison to 5 for the Canucks (two in which the Canucks scored). 

So yeah, Canucks didn't exactly dominate. And I didn't include the 3 Wild chances that were shots from great scoring areas but weren't overly accurate shots. Could have been 12 scoring chances to 7 if your judgment was a bit lighter than mine on what you deemed a good scoring chance. 

Meh, I guess my definition of grade A is a lot different.  Those cross ice one timers, yes grade A.  But some of those shots with rebounds in front aren't that news worthy considering they were pretty much all on the ice, and because Marky has excellent positioning, he made those saves.  Made em look pretty easy.  Luongo use to do it all the time.  Make "difficult" saves look easy.  But I guess I'm just use to Marky making those saves now.  We have been spoiled with good goaltending lately.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

In the highlight clip alone there were 9 scoring chances for the Wild in comparison to 5 for the Canucks (two in which the Canucks scored). 

So yeah, Canucks didn't exactly dominate. And I didn't include the 3 Wild chances that were shots from great scoring areas but weren't overly accurate shots. Could have been 12 scoring chances to 7 if your judgment was a bit lighter than mine on what you deemed a good scoring chance. 

They played a pretty tidy game up until halfway through the third. 

high danger chances show 10-7 for Minnesota for the game with the majority in that span. Overall a pretty close game and Marky sealed the deal for us in the end.

while he's hot I hope he should play Winterpeg and then Green gives Demko the net for Thursday or Saturday.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Meh, I guess my definition of grade A is a lot different.  Those cross ice one timers, yes grade A.  But some of those shots with rebounds in front aren't that news worthy considering they were pretty much all on the ice, and because Marky has excellent positioning, he made those saves.  Made em look pretty easy.  Luongo use to do it all the time.  Make "difficult" saves look easy.  But I guess I'm just use to Marky making those saves now.  We have been spoiled with good goaltending lately.

I think it's the goaltender in me that makes me hate some peoples' evaluations of chances. There's nothing he can do to not prevent those short rebounds because he has to make a phenomenal save so I then credit the great rebound chances as grade A saves even though they are positional, they're still excellent scoring chances he has no control over really. 

I'm biased though, being a goalie. I didn't count the goal minny scored as a scoring opportunity because he should have controlled the rebound. That one was on him. Can't say much about the other great rebound saves he made (ESPECIALLY DAT BLOCKER DOE) other than they were great reads in tracking the puck and cutting off the highest percentage of the net they have to score. 

We are spoiled to a ridiculous amount to how good the goaltending has been, just like how spoiled we were to how good our passing was when we had the Sedins. We see it every night so we expect it, but that doesn't make it any less brilliant when it happens. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I think it's the goaltender in me that makes me hate some peoples' evaluations of chances. There's nothing he can do to not prevent those short rebounds because he has to make a phenomenal save so I then credit the great rebound chances as grade A saves even though they are positional, they're still excellent scoring chances he has no control over really. 

I'm biased though, being a goalie. I didn't count the goal minny scored as a scoring opportunity because he should have controlled the rebound. That one was on him. Can't say much about the other great rebound saves he made (ESPECIALLY DAT BLOCKER DOE) other than they were great reads in tracking the puck and cutting off the highest percentage of the net they have to score. 

We are spoiled to a ridiculous amount to how good the goaltending has been, just like how spoiled we were to how good our passing was when we had the Sedins. We see it every night so we expect it, but that doesn't make it any less brilliant when it happens. 

I don't blame Marky for the rebounds, it's just that I don't think they're grade A chances because the puck is still in tight, and it's very hard for players to roof those pucks.  I understand your bias though.  Marky has been our MVP this season.  No denying that.  Without him, this team would not be where they are.  But all the top teams have a good goaltender.  Without their goaltender they wouldn't be where they all are, case in point look at St. Louis last year.  Goaltending sucked on a deep team.  In comes Binnington, Hello Stanley Cup.

49 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I don't blame Marky for the rebounds, it's just that I don't think they're grade A chances because the puck is still in tight, and it's very hard for players to roof those pucks.  I understand your bias though.  Marky has been our MVP this season.  No denying that.  Without him, this team would not be where they are.  But all the top teams have a good goaltender.  Without their goaltender they wouldn't be where they all are, case in point look at St. Louis last year.  Goaltending sucked on a deep team.  In comes Binnington, Hello Stanley Cup.

Yeah that's understandable I see your point. There's definitely more than just Binnington as well in St. Louis but I get the idea behind it and it definitely is pivotal. Sometimes you just need a spark and goalies can definitely provide that. 

• Cheers 2

• -SN- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
11 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Suter.

I'm sure a smart man like yourself could put 2 and 2 togather.

hey its NHL offisiating we're talking about

it wouldn't surprize ifthey gave Sutter a penalty