The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Jan. 12, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Tracksuit said:

edler passing it four times in 1 shift that were terrible and intercepted Myers handing it away time and time again are team plays? We have a lot of veterans on this team the “still learning””team game”  excuses are over used

the D system is flawed ( it applies to forwards as well a Dmen) and exposed by good teams  fortunately The wild aren’t good team. 

The Mild may not be a top level NHL team but they are still a NHL team who have always been very good checking and causing turnovers. That is what they do best. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Lately I've gone through the gallery on the team page to see moments post game and what they reveal.  They show him as a warrior...always effort and compete in every single shot.  Not looking for anything more than to see what the photographer captures, but it reveals a lot when you see the stills.  The game moves so fast and a lot of the stuff gets missed that's behind the play/puck in real time.

Yeah he’s  never struck me as a player looking for accolades. Just gives 100% all the time and doesn’t expect to get a ribbon for it. 

We are lucky to have him.

I think he’s a little under appreciated because we have some other special players that bring more flash. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb, and probably get flamed for it. I believe Jacob Markstrom is the best goalie this Canuck team has ever had, plain and simple. Anyone else agree?

If by this team as in the 2019-2020 team, then yes. If not, then he has a long way to go to get there statistically to give him that title. He's really been this good for about 1 full season when you include him finding another gear around the final 3rd of last season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I agree. The score and shot clock looks like we dominated, but it really does feel like the Wild were the better team except for a few small instances where we scored. Markstrom saved our bacon.

Really? I thought that was the worst game I've seen all season.

2 teams trying desparately to throw the game away

Minni, brutal penalties

Canucks brutal give aways in front of their net

Minni  Brutal shots from the slot into the net....ting above the net

Canucks finally get a PP goal after missing on multiple 2 man advantages

take the 2 points and slink away to Winnipeg

• Upvote 1

Chalk this one up to another stolen 2 points for Marky. Stopped 8 Grade A chances in the last ten minutes of the game. 

I'll wait around again to argue with the people who still think this is considered average goaltending that most teams in the league get this on a consistent basis. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

So 9-2 in the past 11.  3 players going to the All Star game.  All 3 factored into the win today.  

This team isn't a finished product, somewhat unpredictable, Jekyl and Hyde like.  But for the love of whatever sky god you may believe in if that's your thing, can we all agree to put down the Green pitchforks!  He is doing a damn good job.  Do we not remember the previous 4 seasons?

This was a statement game. 

The Wild needed to win this game alot more than we did. 

Their season is alot more precarious than ours atm. 

Plus this is a team on the road, on a back to back with a lousy record in afternoon games that could be forgiven for not being hungry or clicking today.

Instead of getting run out of Minny, our guys made that rink go quiet.  Marky was incredible.   That PPG that had Hughes firing the puck towards the net, Pettersson with tip, that was a set play that looks really hard to defend. 

3 all stars... when was the last time the Nucks could say that?  This group hasn't peaked yet, not close IMO.  Green is part of that, a huge part. 

Credit to the coach, the management and the players for bringing light to dark and rebuilding the franchise,

even though they didn't say so in the beginning,

that there is a debate to when said rebuild/retool started,

that every other team on the planet was better than rebuilding than we were 

Or whatever bad thing you could possibly think of to this...

A team to really cheer for.  

There's a quote in hockey that goes along the lines of, "A goalie can make a coach look great and a goalie can also get the coach fired". This year I think we're desperately undervaluing how perfect our goaltending has been. They've had what, 5 average to poor games combined? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Chalk this one up to another stolen 2 points for Marky. Stopped 8 Grade A chances in the last ten minutes of the game. 

I'll wait around again to argue with the people who still think this is considered average goaltending that most teams in the league get this on a consistent basis. 

It seems he might be a Tim Thomas.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, 112 said:

It seems he might be a Tim Thomas.

He's playing as good, just not on as good of a team haha. I think I can count on one hand how many weak goals Markstrom has let in this season and that's including him battling through the loss of his father. Max you'd need is one extra hand. This guy has had the best goaltending season I've ever seen since I started watching the team in 94. Unreal. 

Edit: for a Canucks season

Edited by MikeyD
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I think Marky is fantastic and definitely steals points for us, but statistically he's pretty middle of the pack.

• Cheers 1

Just now, StealthNuck said:

I think Marky is fantastic and definitely steals points for us, but statistically he's pretty middle of the pack.

And if there was a statistic for games with grade A chances saved he'd be leading the league. I love for goaltenders they're getting advanced stats (one of them being Demko tops of the league for save percentage in the slot). Pretty soon people will get opportunities to get better numbers for goaltenders on weaker teams. The amount of grade A chances this team gives up on a consistent basis is among the tops of the league. 

Save percentage is just one step above in accuracy than the +/- stat in reference to how well a player is doing in a particular area of the game. There have been amazing goaltenders with relatively average looking numbers and Markstrom is one of them because you'll never know the quality of saves these goalies are making as a Muffin from the blueline is the same stat as a cross crease one timer. 

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

And if there was a statistic for games with grade A chances saved he'd be leading the league. I love for goaltenders they're getting advanced stats (one of them being Demko tops of the league for save percentage in the slot). Pretty soon people will get opportunities to get better numbers for goaltenders on weaker teams. The amount of grade A chances this team gives up on a consistent basis is among the tops of the league. 

Save percentage is just one step above in accuracy than the +/- stat in reference to how well a player is doing in a particular area of the game. There have been amazing goaltenders with relatively average looking numbers and Markstrom is one of them because you'll never know the quality of saves these goalies are making as a Muffin from the blueline is the same stat as a cross crease one timer. 

You may be right; I'd love to see those stats, wish they were easier to get.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Zach Parise cap hit: $7,538,461 (expires in 2024-2025 at age 39)

Ryan Suter cap hit: $7,538,461 (expires in 2024-2025 at age 39)

Mats Zucarrello cap hit: $6,000,000 (expires in 2023-2024 at age 36)

That is absolutely brutal for the Wild. 

wow.... I just imagined the complaining if we had 3 LOUI'S :frantic:

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Man we are a lucky fan base right now with the scoring threats on this team. Nobody complaining about that Miller trade now. He’s the straw that stirs the drink. Brings the best out of his teammates. JB hit a home run there. 

And as of right now, we have 4 guys in the top 37 scorers, and overall, 6 players in the top 88. 

Not too shabby.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb, and probably get flamed for it. I believe Jacob Markstrom is the best goalie this Canuck team has ever had, plain and simple. Anyone else agree?

,  Mclean ,Lou ,King Richard   were the greatest of all time    all 3 made it to the finals  , marky hasn't even won a nhl playoff game yet , till marky does something in playoffs then maybe  you can be talking about him being one of the great canuck goaltenders ,   till then he is a great goalie  not the best  yet