The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Houston Astros Fined Unprecedented Amount

AriGold2.0

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I actually have no idea how the draft works in MLB. Regardless of the sport though, I think a team putting the worst roster possible out there damages integrity more than what Rose did.

It’s also nuts that the Astros definitively cheated to win yet Luhnow and Hinch will be back with open arms in a year from now. 

I'd be fine re-instating Rose, but not until Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver are re-instated posthumously.

If they're back it won't be with the Astros. Looks like Luhnow and Hinch just got pink slips.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I'd be fine re-instating Rose, but not until Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver are re-instated posthumously.

If they're back it won't be with the Astros. Looks like Luhnow and Hinch just got pink slips.

I would be okay with that as well but only if the other 6 banished players were re-instated as well with monetary restitution to their surviving families AND Charles Comiskey being booted out of the HOF..

17 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

But haven't you watched J-League games and/or at Koshien Stadium?

Been out there once..nice park. Missus & I aren't into baseball, but our kids love the Tigers(they go lots)

For watching sports, I'll only sacrifice precious time for hockey. Otherwise I'd prefer a long run/bike ride. Invest said time in your own ticker.

It(watching pro sport) simply takes up WAY too much time in folks' lives these days..but the last place I should promote such a view is any type of sporting site, eh?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Been out there once..nice park. Missus & I aren't into baseball, but our kids love the Tigers(they go lots)

For watching sports, I'll only sacrifice precious time for hockey. Otherwise I'd prefer a long run/bike ride. Invest said time in your own ticker.

It(watching pro sport) simply takes up WAY too much time in folks' lives these days..but the last place I should promote such a view is any type of sporting site, eh?

Especially since watching Canuck hockey is not always good for the ticker!!!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

For a non-baseball person, can someone explain, what's the big deal?

If a catcher is sending signals to the pitcher that the other team can see and interpret, why isn't that just part of the game?  Why not just change your signals so other teams can't interpret them?

Or why can't the pitcher just throw the dam ball?  Instead they(pitcher/catcher) have to spend 30sec relaying what pitch to throw(out of max. 5 pitches) and where to throw(how about just aim for the glove)?

Baseball is the one sport where you can just run it on a computer and then just show me the scores on the ticker and I wouldn't be any more or less interested.  Also the foul ball is the worst play in sports.

12 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Or why can't the pitcher just throw the dam ball?  Instead they(pitcher/catcher) have to spend 30sec relaying what pitch to throw(out of max. 5 pitches) and where to throw(how about just aim for the glove)?

Baseball is the one sport where you can just run it on a computer and then just show me the scores on the ticker and I wouldn't be any more or less interested.  Also the foul ball is the worst play in sports.

Fouls balls use to be a very exciting play. Only because back in the day teams made fans give them back and would sometimes wind up arguing/fighting with fans in the stands.

Fun fact : As recently as 1922, an 11 year old boy was arrested and jailed overnight for refusing to give back a foul ball he caught at a Phillies game. He was charged with larceny and the Judge was not amused that he was charged. It turned into such a PR nightmare for the Phillies they started allowing fans to keep foul balls. Every other team soon followed. :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

For a non-baseball person, can someone explain, what's the big deal?

If a catcher is sending signals to the pitcher that the other team can see and interpret, why isn't that just part of the game?  Why not just change your signals so other teams can't interpret them?

This was my question too. I understand its because the team was doing it through electronic means, but I still don't understand.

Every team in every sport uses video in their analysis of their opposition. If you are able to catch telegraphic moves your opponent makes out in the open during the game, why the hell not use that to your advantage.

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

This was my question too. I understand its because the team was doing it through electronic means, but I still don't understand.

Every team in every sport uses video in their analysis of their opposition. If you are able to catch telegraphic moves your opponent makes out in the open during the game, why the hell not use that to your advantage.

On the surface I would tend to agree. But I guess in practicality, if you extend that premise and every team was now using electronics and even covert technologies, where anything goes, you'd have to just make it a part of the game I guess.  The physical game and the behind the scenes "deep state" of both teams using hidden cameras and high tech zoom lenses.  And every year better, smaller, and more secretive electronic devices to help teams would be tried. It could be that one team wins the World Series despite not having the edge on the field....wait.

But it is a fine line.  I mean every team has people watching from a higher vantage point and is in contact with a coach/manager.  In hockey its great for finding offsides. One could argue that that is going overboard. That we should just rely on the human eye, mistakes or not. But then again there is Sutherland.

22 minutes ago, kilgore said:

On the surface I would tend to agree. But I guess in practicality, if you extend that premise and every team was now using electronics and even covert technologies, where anything goes, you'd have to just make it a part of the game I guess.  The physical game and the behind the scenes "deep state" of both teams using hidden cameras and high tech zoom lenses.  And every year better, smaller, and more secretive electronic devices to help teams would be tried. It could be that one team wins the World Series despite not having the edge on the field....wait.

But it is a fine line.  I mean every team has people watching from a higher vantage point and is in contact with a coach/manager.  In hockey its great for finding offsides. One could argue that that is going overboard. That we should just rely on the human eye, mistakes or not. But then again there is Sutherland.

Yeah, I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that's where they chose to draw it.

Difficult in this day and age where rules can't keep up with technology. 

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

It would be dangerous for the catcher to be expecting a curveball and get a fastball.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Using technology in game, in real time to cheat is a huge nono.  The art of deception is important to baseball.  The game is much easier if you know what pitch is coming, or if a runner is trying to steal etc.  That's why teams hide what they are doing through signs.  To use technology in game to break those signs down is dishonest.

• Cheers 1

I honestly think the Astros did nothing wrong here. Did they use technology to further them winning games (cheat to win games)? Sure, but the bat pounding method is way to obvious not to notice it. If it took them this long for the opposing team, umps, and league to figure it out the Astros were using this blatant obvious technique. Then, that’s on them for being so dense. 

I mean, if this is what you call cheating. Then might as well strip all those World Series titles away from players who were on World Series teams that used steroids during the mid 90s - mid 00s.

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Yeah, I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere, and that's where they chose to draw it.

Difficult in this day and age where rules can't keep up with technology. 

I think part of it with baseball is this is a sport so entrenched in tradition that some fans even objected to safety netting being put up around the infield because it broke from the way things used to be. Bringing in video review was like asking baseball purists to donate vital organs. It’s not an easy sport to change and using technology to relay signs is seen as a major no no. 

Players tip signs from second base all the time. Pitchers and catchers don’t really like it but it’s part of the game. If you watch on tv you’ll see catchers throwing down a series of signs when there’s a runner on second rather than the one or two they’d put down if there wasn’t. 

• Cheers 1