The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Houston Astros Fined Unprecedented Amount

AriGold2.0

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think part of it with baseball is this is a sport so entrenched in tradition that some fans even objected to safety netting being put up around the infield because it broke from the way things used to be. Bringing in video review was like asking baseball purists to donate vital organs. It’s not an easy sport to change and using technology to relay signs is seen as a major no no. 

Players tip signs from second base all the time. Pitchers and catchers don’t really like it but it’s part of the game. If you watch on tv you’ll see catchers throwing down a series of signs when there’s a runner on second rather than the one or two they’d put down if there wasn’t. 

Oh, right I forgot how preserving the "purity of the game" is way higher among baseball fans than any other American sport. That's a huge point that alone makes it understandable why it's such a no-no. Thanks!

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think part of it with baseball is this is a sport so entrenched in tradition that some fans even objected to safety netting being put up around the infield because it broke from the way things used to be. Bringing in video review was like asking baseball purists to donate vital organs. It’s not an easy sport to change and using technology to relay signs is seen as a major no no. 

Players tip signs from second base all the time. Pitchers and catchers don’t really like it but it’s part of the game. If you watch on tv you’ll see catchers throwing down a series of signs when there’s a runner on second rather than the one or two they’d put down if there wasn’t. 

Not really related, but one of my favorite moments of pitcher / catcher gamesmanship came a few years back when RA Dickey was still pitching for the Jays.

Can't remember who the batter was, but it was someone with a history of killing Toronto, like Longo, or Mookie....

Russ put down the #1 and without batting an eye, Dickey shook him off....only to have Martin call for the same pitch. This time RA nodded and blew an 83 MPH fastball right by the batter. The two did exactly the same thing on the next two pitches for the strikeout.

The batter just couldn't accept that RA Dickey, or all people, would throw him three fastballs in a row. :lol:

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2

Seeing a lot of it's no big deal and who cares. This team cheated for crying out loud, does no one cares for integrity anymore? The fact that they cheated is bad enough, but taking away someone's dreams and a lifetime of work is beyond $&!#ty. Think about the players who have been struggling their whole life's to make it in the big leagues, finally make it to the MLB finals and loose because the other team cheated. 

This isn't nearly stiff enough of a fine in my opinion, the GM, coaches and any player known to be directly involved should be banned from baseball, HOF gone, and cancellation of contracts moving forward. 

Cheating ruins sports.. something extreme has to be done to maybe deter other people from doing it in the future. A slap on the wrist for millionaire's and billionaires won't stop cheating. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kylecanuck said:

Seeing a lot of it's no big deal and who cares. This team cheated for crying out loud, does no one cares for integrity anymore? The fact that they cheated is bad enough, but taking away someone's dreams and a lifetime of work is beyond $&!#ty. Think about the players who have been struggling their whole life's to make it in the big leagues, finally make it to the MLB finals and loose because the other team cheated. 

This isn't nearly stiff enough of a fine in my opinion, the GM, coaches and any player known to be directly involved should be banned from baseball, HOF gone, and cancellation of contracts moving forward. 

Cheating ruins sports.. something extreme has to be done to maybe deter other people from doing it in the future. A slap on the wrist for millionaire's and billionaires won't stop cheating. 

Do we strip all those titles away from all those teams that had players who used steroids in the 90s’ and early 00s? What about the Patriots with Spygate and deflate-gate? 

It’s the 21st century, there is no more integrity in sports anymore.

7 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Do we strip all those titles away from all those teams that had players who used steroids in the 90s’ and early 00s? What about the Patriots with Spygate and deflate-gate? 

It’s the 21st century, there is no more integrity in sports anymore.

I think if Manfred really wanted to send a message he should have stripped Houston of their title. That was never gonna happen but that would’ve been adequate punishment. 

28 minutes ago, Pears said:

I think if Manfred really wanted to send a message he should have stripped Houston of their title. That was never gonna happen but that would’ve been adequate punishment. 

Why?

That method of cheating was so damn obvious, it’s not the Astro fault the league/others were so damn oblivious.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Sounds like Gibbons is going to get an interview for the manager position in Houston.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-ex-blue-jays-manager-john-gibbons-interview-astros-opening/

This actually makes a lot of sense.  Good veteran coach, great personality to have in a difficult situation.

Yep. Makes a ton of sense. Gibby is a player's manager and would fit right in with that squad....

...I've also really missed his saunter out to the field with that "WTF was that?" look on his face, when he's fixing to tear the ump a new one....

I always hated Earl Weaver, but I always loved watching his arguments with umpires....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. Makes a ton of sense. Gibby is a player's manager and would fit right in with that squad....

...I've also really missed his saunter out to the field with that "WTF was that?" look on his face, when he's fixing to tear the ump a new one....

I always hated Earl Weaver, but I always loved watching his arguments with umpires....

I like how Weaver would classify his bullpen guys as half-packs or full-packs of cigarettes he smoked, because of the nervousness, while the guy pitched.  Was it Stanton Weaver called a full-pack? 

Two videos seem to confirm José Altuve was hiding something underneath his jersey during ALCS

Share this story:

an hour ago

If you were already tired of hearing about the MLB's sign-stealing scandal, you might want to find a hole, crawl in it and not come out for the next few days. It's about to get much, much worse.

Before the news of Carlos Beltran stepping down even had a chance to get cold, Beltran's niece, or someone everyone has assumed is Beltran's niece, sent out two tweets about José Altuve and Alex Bregman, two of the Houston Astros' biggest stars. According to the mystery tweeter, both Bregman and Altuve had devices underneath their jerseys that buzzed, and the devices were controlled by a "hallway video guy":

Beltran's niece tweeting about the buzzers, which matches up with what Ive been told from about 5 different parties.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

In her second tweet, you'll see she refers to Altuve not wanting his jersey ripped off after "Chapman gave up homer." She is of course talking about Altuve's walk-off, ALCS-clinching homer off New York Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman in Game 6 that sent the Astros to the World Series. Immediately, Twitter investigators uncovered what he/she was talking about. In one video, you'll see Altuve round third base and signal to his teammates not to rip off his jersey during the celebration:

Altuve making sure he keeps that jersey on (via r/nyyankees)

Embedded video

Hey, maybe he just wanted the jersey to remain in good condition. After all, he did just hit one of the biggest homers of his career in it.

Ken Rosenthal, who was one of the reporters who broke the entire sign-stealing story, was on hand that night in Houston as a on-field reporter for FOX. He noticed Altuve's plea to his teammates to not rip his jersey, and made sure to ask him about it during the postgame interview. Does this sound like an innocent man?

Here's Ken Rosenthal, who broke the news of the Astros cheating scandal, asking Jose Altuve why he was telling teammates not to rip his jersey off after the walk-off home run in Game 6 of the 2019 ALCS:

Embedded video

Nothing to see here. He's just a little shy.

This is not the first time this buzzer rumor has made the rounds. After the World Series had concluded, pictures and video of Astros catcher Robinson Chirinos sporting some sort of device on his thumb emerged:

I have no idea what an electronic buzzer looks like but someone just sent me this as a 'maybe that's what that is?'

1ZKNULsN_normal.jpg

I have no idea what an electronic buzzer looks like but someone just sent me this as a 'maybe that's what that is?'

whatever it is it looks like it bounced off Gomes mask a little.

Embedded video

For anyone wondering if Beltran's niece (or someone posing as Beltran's niece) is a credible source, that account also tweeted about Beltran's hiring four days before it was announced, and tweeted on Wednesday about Beltran stepping down a day before it happened. Whoever it is—his niece, him, a former player, someone else—they've got a lot of inside info and they're not afraid to share it. Let's hope whoever it is keeps it coming.

Get a dose of sports, entertainment and everything in between.

Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/two-videos-seem-to-confirm-jose-altuve-was-hiding-something-underneath-his-jersey-during-alcs

Edited by Tre Mac

On 1/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, shiznak said:

I honestly think the Astros did nothing wrong here. Did they use technology to further them winning games (cheat to win games)? Sure, but the bat pounding method is way to obvious not to notice it. If it took them this long for the opposing team, umps, and league to figure it out the Astros were using this blatant obvious technique. Then, that’s on them for being so dense. 

I mean, if this is what you call cheating. Then might as well strip all those World Series titles away from players who were on World Series teams that used steroids during the mid 90s - mid 00s.

https://twitter.com/mike_anthony13/status/1217913529946255360?s=21

Edited by Claude Feig

52 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The cheating was obvious so blame others...

Christ what a loser opinion. 

The fact that it took the league 3 years after they won, to finally do something about it is ridiculous. They monitor every single game (especially the playoffs) closely. It’s not hard to ignore the bang in the Astro’s dugout. Just like steroids, you still have to make contact with the ball. Using a device that tips pitches, only helps you with your timing, but it doesn’t tell you where it’s exactly going to be. 

Looking at the playoff stats from 2017, the Astros only had 25 more hits then the next team (Dodgers), with 190+ more plate appearances, batting below .250. Those numbers should be significant better, especially in a friendly hitter park. 

• Upvote 1