The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Zack Kassian suspended 2 games

Rate this topic

23 hours ago, spur1 said:

Really... it was just as much of a charge and a blind side hit as the last two also knocking his helmet off. 

You know, I've looked at both hits more closely and I've also looked at the rule book.  You're right, I don't see how either of the hits wasn't charging.  The rule book is not specific.  There is nothing about how many strides, distance traveled etc it's a total judgement call.  I'm not happy with the way the game is being officiated.  If the ref's won't penalize predatory hits, then players will take it into their own hands.  The suspension is what I would have expected.  My opinion on Kassian doesn't change.  He is a player who can be provoked and as such is a target.

Kassian got his payback.  The issue should be over according to the code.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You know, I've looked at both hits more closely and I've also looked at the rule book.  You're right, I don't see how either of the hits wasn't charging.  The rule book is not specific.  There is nothing about how many strides, distance traveled etc it's a total judgement call.  I'm not happy with the way the game is being officiated.  If the ref's won't penalize predatory hits, then players will take it into their own hands.  The suspension is what I would have expected.  My opinion on Kassian doesn't change.  He is a player who can be provoked and as such is a target.

Again a lot of people are missing the fact there was a third hit in the first period that also was a possible charge and also knocked Kassian’s helmet off. For some reason the press is only showing the last two. 

On 1/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Worth it to send that punk a message.  Love how Kass responded in the interview too (using that very word).

They aren't providing any reason for Tkachuk to stay in check....so it won't be long before he dirty hits someone into an injury.  

Except none of the three hits on Kass were ‘dirty’.. they were clean hockey checks

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quinn12 said:

Except none of the three hits on Kass were ‘dirty’.. they were clean hockey checks

If you don't think Tkachuk's hits are "dirty", that's fine.  Those may not have been, although they looked like charging to me?  "Targeted" for sure.  Not just with an aim to get the puck or stop someone else from getting it...he was "going at" Kass.   And if you target a guy enough, he's going to come back at you.

Also...maybe "those" weren't, but Tkachuk definitely is getting a well earned rep for being dirty.  So he's obviously going to be targeted back at times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

If you don't think Tkachuk's hits are "dirty", that's fine.  Those may not have been, although they looked like charging to me?  "Targeted" for sure.  Not just with an aim to get the puck or stop someone else from getting it...he was "going at" Kass.   And if you target a guy enough, he's going to come back at you.

Also...maybe "those" weren't, but Tkachuk definitely is getting a well earned rep for being dirty.  So he's obviously going to be targeted back at times.

Guys will target Monahan and Johnny Hockey to get a sense of revenge against Tkatchuk too.  Maybe that’s why those two have less numbers this year; they’re playing scared?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Guys will target Monahan and Johnny Hockey to get a sense of revenge against Tkatchuk too.  Maybe that’s why those two have less numbers this year; they’re playing scared?  

So true, Alf.

Gino told a story about Pavel coming to him once to tell him to lay off someone he'd been going at all game.  When Gino asked whey he said "because he said if you keep on at him, he's coming for me".  It very much happens that way, you're right.

16 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Kronwall kept his eyes on his targets. MT turns away at the last moment. Subtle difference, perhaps, but it matters.

And as much as we fans (many of us) enjoyed seeing someone get Kronwalled, you don't see many positive reactions from the players in those clips. 

For what it's worth, I don't like the charge by MT. Either of the (two) hits could have been made clean had he simply held up a bit more. Gutless hits, gutless reaction to the 'challenge' after.

Can't deny he was effective, however.

Plus NK got guys within his position.  MT leaves his position to target guys.  Huge difference.  

• Thanks 1

People are blowing this out of proportion.  The hits were clean hockey hit.  Predatory hits? sure, but they were still clean hits catching a player in the trolley tracks. 

The shoulder was the target and initial point of contact and that’s not even debatable.  You could argue a charge but it’s a grey debate as 90% of hockey hits involve a player coming in with speed.  Gliding in at 15mph vs taking a few strides and reaching 15mph doesn’t really make a hit any more dangerous.  He didn’t jump to make the contact so really I’d lean on the side of no charging penalty. 

All in all, these are exciting physical hits that belong in this game, it’s exactly why we sign a guy like Ferlund.  We want players to second guess themselves when the puck is on their stick.  When Ferklund catches a few guys in a similar matter during this upcoming post season, not one of you here will complain, in fact most of you will be praising the hits.  The only reason people are complaining now is because of the name on the back of the jersey.

With that said, if you are going to engage in this style of the game you best be ready for the repercussions.  That doesn’t mean Tkachuk needs to fight a heavy weight or even drop the mitts at all and yes Kassian went overboard. But there will be repercussions for the rest flames players, they know the oilers will be coming for them and we’ve all seen how Johnny disappears when the physicality kicks up a notch. And as of right now, guess which two teams are line up to play each other in playoffs. Exciting hockey up ahead. 

16 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I don’t see Tkachuk as a curator of the code.

• Like 1

Oilers fans answer Flames fans’ Tkachuk billboard in Edmonton by donating to Calgary charity

https://www.bardown.com/oilers-fans-answer-flames-fans-tkachuk-billboard-in-edmonton-by-donating-to-calgary-charity-1.1427877

I am totally in support of Kassian on this - love what he did and loved his response after being suspended.

Of course, Flames fans, being classless as usual, are putting a Tkachuk billboard in Edmonton.  In response, Oilers fans are donating to a Calgary charity "in honour of Zack Kassian".

I just donated.  If you hate Tkachuk, and love what Kassian did, I encourage you to do the same.  Let's drown out this billboard junk with something positive (and hilarious).

The charity is "BrownBaggingIt".

Edited by Saved_by_Jesus

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

People are blowing this out of proportion.  The hits were clean hockey hit.  Predatory hits? sure, but they were still clean hits catching a player in the trolley tracks. 

The shoulder was the target and initial point of contact and that’s not even debatable.  You could argue a charge but it’s a grey debate as 90% of hockey hits involve a player coming in with speed.  Gliding in at 15mph vs taking a few strides and reaching 15mph doesn’t really make a hit any more dangerous.  He didn’t jump to make the contact so really I’d lean on the side of no charging penalty. 

All in all, these are exciting physical hits that belong in this game, it’s exactly why we sign a guy like Ferlund.  We want players to second guess themselves when the puck is on their stick.  When Ferklund catches a few guys in a similar matter during this upcoming post season, not one of you here will complain, in fact most of you will be praising the hits.  The only reason people are complaining now is because of the name on the back of the jersey.

With that said, if you are going to engage in this style of the game you best be ready for the repercussions.  That doesn’t mean Tkachuk needs to fight a heavy weight or even drop the mitts at all and yes Kassian went overboard. But there will be repercussions for the rest flames players, they know the oilers will be coming for them and we’ve all seen how Johnny disappears when the physicality kicks up a notch. And as of right now, guess which two teams are line up to play each other in playoffs. Exciting hockey up ahead. 

Kass was not in the proverbial “trolly tracks”.  He was competing for puck possession along the end wall.  Tkatchuk left his position to target Kass.  It’s what Tores used to do with us.  It’s predatory, not hockey, and dangerous.  The league needs to address players leaving their position to target guys.  Guys don’t expect a winger to come off his point, and attack them along the end wall.  

Oilers will absolutely be going after Little Piss-ant Wa Wa Johnny, and I’m a coward who runs and hides in tough games Moonahan.  I really hope there is a nasty incident this next game.  The league needs to stop the rat play, or the players will.