The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Zack Kassian suspended 2 games

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

People are blowing this out of proportion.  The hits were clean hockey hit. 

No they were not.  Dirty hits with intent to injure.  Torres style hits that were suspendable for Torres......

This will backfire on the flames as the NHL players around the league now see TkaTurtle for what he is.  Gutless headhunter that turtles.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No they were not.  Dirty hits with intent to injure.  Torres style hits that were suspendable for Torres......

This will backfire on the flames as the NHL players around the league now see TkaTurtle for what he is.  Gutless headhunter that turtles.....

110% right King.  Clearly you played, and understand what Tkatchuk was doing.  You have to have played at a high level to get this.  Clearly some posters don’t understand because they were never out there at a serious level.   

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kass was not in the proverbial “trolly tracks”.  He was competing for puck possession along the end wall.  Tkatchuk left his position to target Kass.  It’s what Tores used to do with us.  It’s predatory, not hockey, and dangerous.  

no Alf that’s hockey. Kass had his head down and he’s needs to be aware of his surrounds and the players on the ice. 

The league needs to address players leaving their position to target guys.  

So jakes hit on Nichuskin doesn’t belong?  it’s a physical game it’s why the majority of people on this board wanted us to sign ferklund. It’s why people would love a player like Tom Wilson. Don’t like it feel free to watch soccer. Even kassian the recipient likes that type of game. 

Physicality belongs in the game anyone who disagrees shouldn’t be tuning into the next oil flames match up....you know a regular season game that is two weeks away and people are hyped up for.  All because of tkachuk and that is entertainment. 

Guys don’t expect a winger to come off his point, and attack them along the end wall.  

guys don’t expect D to pinch either and often get there bell rung.  Players needs to understand their surroundings. Nothing tkachuk did was illegal. Heck Had kassian not had his head down, he would have realized tkachuk left his D wide open and gave up a good scoring chance. 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

110% right King.  Clearly you played, and understand what Tkatchuk was doing.  You have to have played at a high level to get this.  Clearly some posters don’t understand because they were never out there at a serious level.   

Yes, i have played a lifetime of hockey. Still play 60-70  games a year LOL.    Everyone i know , knows  exactly what TKAPUke was attempting to do....  He targeted Kass with an upper body shot that was all about injuring him......   Everyone i know sees this.      I don't like to see these hits as they can be career ending..  Having said that i realize that hockey emotional game and guys lose their s.. at times.  All Tkapuke had to do to remedy the situation was to give Kass the fight...   That is how the code works and it keeps the game safe for all the players.

The whole NHL now knows that  Tkaturtle does not follow the code and is a headhunter that turtles...    Karma will be sweet as no one can escape it.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

He didn’t target the head, only

reason kassians bucket came off is because he’s loosened his chin strap. Kassian needs to be held accountable coming around the net with his head down. This is the big boy league not TimBits. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

no Alf that’s hockey. Kass had his head down and he’s needs to be aware of his surrounds and the players on the ice. 

So jakes hit on Nichuskin doesn’t belong?  it’s a physical game it’s why the majority of people on this board wanted us to sign ferklund. It’s why people would love a player like Tom Wilson. Don’t like it feel free to watch soccer. Even kassian the recipient likes that type of game. 

Physicality belongs in the game anyone who disagrees shouldn’t be tuning into the next oil flames match up....you know a regular season game that is two weeks away and people are hyped up for.  All because of tkachuk and that is entertainment. 

guys don’t expect D to pinch either and often get there bell rung.  Players needs to understand their surroundings. Nothing tkachuk did was illegal. Heck Had kassian not had his head down, he would have realized tkachuk left his D wide open and gave up a good scoring chance. 

Actually, guys do expect D to pinch.  That’s what D do, as it’s part of their position.  A winger leaving his point/middle area to target a forward along the end wall on the opposite side of the ice (which is clearly a blindsided hit) is very predatory and extremely dangerous. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually, guys do expect D to pinch.  That’s what D do, as it’s part of their position.  A winger leaving his point/middle area to target a forward along the end wall on the opposite side of the ice (which is clearly a blindsided hit) is very predatory and extremely dangerous. 

yeah no. Wingers can come down low and take out a player preventing them from walking out in front with the puck. It happens all the time, forwards need to be expecting it. They need to be aware of the players on the ice. That’s hockey.

Yet virtanen does it and you praise him. tkachuk does it and it’s dangerous and needs to leave the sport. 

Another quote from Kassian (from oilersnation.com), this one rather ominous:

Kassian: “ ... I think I can do what Matthew Tkachuk did if the league is saying it is clean. I can do exactly that. I didn’t think you were allowed to, but after speaking with George apparently you are allowed. That is fine.”

I hope the DoPS knows what it has done now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He didn’t target the head, only

reason kassians bucket came off is because he’s loosened his chin strap. Kassian needs to be held accountable coming around the net with his head down. This is the big boy league not TimBits. 

Even the kids in Tidbits probably know that when they headhunt and target other players they will be held accountable.......

TkaTurtle is gutless  and so are his supporters. Flames fans are better than this, or at least they used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Another quote from Kassian (from oilersnation.com), this one rather ominous:

Kassian: “ ... I think I can do what Matthew Tkachuk did if the league is saying it is clean. I can do exactly that. I didn’t think you were allowed to, but after speaking with George apparently you are allowed. That is fine.”

I hope the DoPS knows what it has done now. 

The DOPS is so stupid.  Now guys like Kassian, who are way meaner than Tkatchuk, will be playing like Raffi again.  Predatory hits, where players leave their position on the ice to target another guy, and charge long distances to get there, are going to be happening again.  

Good for Kass to state what was said to him.  I hope Kass really catches a Flame opposite corner in the Oiler’s end.  This could become really ugly.  

• Cheers 1

Since the ref's won't call a charge a charge, Kassian took the matter into his own hands after the 3rd similar check.  This is how the old code works but the whole fiasco came about because of a failure of the officials to enforce the rules.  The rule book leaves enforcement up to the officials but "distance was traveled" in all cases and "violence" did occur.  Obviously the rule book is being interpreted but it's pretty clear from the replay that Kassian was targeted for whatever reason.   

Rule 42 - Charging
42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player
who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of
distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A
“charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal
frame or in open ice.
A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct shall be
imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper
is within his goal crease.
A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal
crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every
case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a
goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the
Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing
the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has
made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.
42.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor
penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player
guilty of charging an opponent.
42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major
penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player
guilty of charging an opponent (see 42.5).
42.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match
penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately
injured his opponent by charging.
42.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under
this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an
opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.
42.6 Fines and Suspensions – Refer to Rule 23.6 – Fines and
Suspensions – Physical Fouls Category.
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by
the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

yeah no. Wingers can come down low and take out a player preventing them from walking out in front with the puck. It happens all the time, forwards need to be expecting it. They need to be aware of the players on the ice. That’s hockey.

Yet virtanen does it and you praise him. tkachuk does it and it’s dangerous and needs to leave the sport. 

Not even remotely the same play. Someone who can't see the difference also isn't likely to see why the Tkachuk hits were dirty.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The creation of the DOP, is just a legal move by the NHL, to provide a false impression that they, "care" about player safety because if they really cared, they wouldnt had put an ex goon - Parros - as its head.   As for Tkachuk, he thrives like Marchand, in being a douche and it seems that a goon (like in the past) is an effective solution to the NHLs' rat problem. 

The way the League has handled this situation only empower the rats to push the envelope and Kassians' reaction, is very indicative of the majorities mistrusts towards the League, to protect them and punish these cheapshot artists.

#thanksBettman (Head of the Rat League).

exercise push up GIF

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Rule 42 - Charging
42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player
who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of
distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A
“charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal
frame or in open ice.

I recall the definition of charging as quite specific -- taking more than three strides (or maybe it was three or more) towards a player to hit him.