The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention

DonLever

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ryan Strome is Tywin Lannister.  He doesn't need to be King tor rule.:P

Course, he is afraid to go to the toilet as Warhippy is wondering around with a crossbow.:ph34r:

if @Ryan Strome gets to be Tywin I call dibs on being Bronn. For the extracurriculars. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Chong is very promising. 

Potential first non-Caucasian Prime Minister. 

Ambrose is also a good candidate.

first female to be elected Prime Minister. 

I really hope the Conservatives utilize this opportunity to add some diversity to our leadership in the House of Commons. Regardless, I'll be voting NDP in the next election as I always have since I turned 18. 

Picking a leader based on being a minority or for the sake of diversity is not a good strategy, the best candidate should get the go ahead.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Picking a leader based on being a minority or for the sake of diversity is not a good strategy, the best candidate should get the go ahead.  

fortunately the CPC has the option for both at the same time - Ambrose is the most experienced person in that list from a gov't portfolio pov. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

4 hours ago, Russ said:

I think Pierre is in that group of 3 that will really challenge for the election.

Lets be honest, just about anyone can be better than Scheer when he had all the opportunities and just tried to use slander the whole campaign and that really made him look incompetent, I don't think anyone has crapped the bed as bad since Kim Campbell.

Poutine "Mr. Robocall" Poilievre would be a terrible choice for the CPC imo. He has a grating personality and would be viewed very much as a social conservative candidate. He's a lateral move from Scheer on that front. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Poutine "Mr. Robocall" Poilievre would be a terrible choice for the CPC imo. He has a grating personality and would be viewed very much as a social conservative candidate. He's a lateral move from Scheer on that front. 

He is Jason Kenney with a french name

Nothing but a mouthpiece

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

An albertan looking for someone to blame for Alberta boom and bust economy. and lack of economy diversitication ......

article-0-1A2B262D00000578-237_308x185.j

Oh, you mean that economy that provided virtually all of the equalization payments for the rest of the country while producing the only product other than alcohol and tobacco that is burdened with an enormous, discriminatory federal tax - that province? That province that supplies Quebec with enormous equalization payments that subsidize Quebec’s low higher education costs, so that Quebec students can carry on protests about any fees at all while simultaneously protesting against the very industry that subsidizes it. You must mean that province that tried to get the line nine pipeline that carries Saudi oil to the Lakehead reversed so that it could carry Alberta oil east to displace Saudi oil, but was rejected by Trudeau who spent his holidays being entertained by OPEC oil interests.

I’m not Albertan by any means, but it takes little imagination to see where they are coming from.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would rather have Peter MacKay in there. 

curious, why? Ambrose has more federal ministerial experience, she's Albertan (so good for the unity thing), good personality, and has shown to be capable to work across the aisle by working on the nafta renegotiation team. Plus she'd have a lot of votes for being the 1st elected female PM. Best chance for the CPC to win a majority imo. 

MacKay still has the stink on him of lying to the red tory segment about never joining with the reform party. IMO he'd have a hard time beating Trudeau. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

curious, why? Ambrose has more federal ministerial experience, she's Albertan (so good for the unity thing), good personality, and has shown to be capable to work across the aisle by working on the nafta renegotiation team. Plus she'd have a lot of votes for being the 1st elected female PM. Best chance for the CPC to win a majority imo. 

MacKay still has the stink on him of lying to the red tory segment about never joining with the reform party. IMO he'd have a hard time beating Trudeau. 

Being Albertan isnt a plus as there are way more seats in Ontario and Quebec, and Alberta is mostly Conservative anyways. MacKay was the leader of the Progressive Conservative Party already and has more experience being a party leader and has a strong law and economics background. His wife was also Miss World Canada and of Iran decent (she is a bombshell). I didnt think you were a conservative kind of guy?  

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Being Albertan isnt a plus as there are way more seats in Ontario and Quebec, and Alberta is mostly Conservative anyways. MacKay was the leader of the Progressive Conservative Party already and has more experience being a party leader and has a strong law and economics background. His wife was also Miss World Canada and of Iran decent (she is a bombshell). I didnt think you were a conservative kind of guy?  

I'm not, well not socially at least. I'm a political junkie.

I was around when MacKay promised the PCs that he would never merge with the Reformers. But he did. That sent a lot of red Tory voters (like me) to the Liberals and I haven't gone back. I don't think he'd be able to overcome that lie, it would be thrust back into the debates and he wouldn't have a good answer for it, plus he supported a lot of unpopular things under Harper. 

I'm interested because I want a good CPC candidate because its good for Canada overall to have the best people in on all sides.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think looking back it makes sense that the Progessive Conservative Party and the Conservative Party would merge. I think being a more of a liberal or NDP supporter, you might have some biases towards the more progressive candidates offered?  

sure, who doesn't? 

but I think i could make a good argument that federal conservatives were at their best when they were "PCs" and not driven by more social ideas. 

its also pretty clear from the last two elections that a majority of Canadians want more progressive candidates. 

FYI just for the record - I did vote NDP once in my life. But I was voting strategically because in my riding it was between the NDP and CPC candidate and I wanted Harper gone :P

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure, who doesn't? 

but I think i could make a good argument that federal conservatives were at their best when they were "PCs" and not driven by more social ideas. 

its also pretty clear from the last two elections that a majority of Canadians want more progressive candidates. 

Ya its difficult to find a balance and candidate that is progressive enough without losing the identity of the party and essential having two liberal parties. Obviously being openly against gay people and abortions is not progressive enough.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya its difficult to find a balance and candidate that is progressive enough without losing the identity of the party and essential having two liberal parties.

Just do what the Liberals do.  Campaign on the left but govern on the center.  Or in the Cons case, campaign in the center but govern on the right.

• Upvote 1