The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention

DonLever

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I liked it when Harjit S did it.

Nothing wrong with showing your experience.

its not a hair on fire thing for me, just seems off putting to me. I don't like any party trying to look like "the" party of our services, because they've all sucked at running it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I think a major question for a lot of voters is which potential leadership candidate will promise to pursue charges against JT for his many many criminal transgressions?

Someone will have to answer for it. 

It worked down south getting all the knuckleheads frothing at the mouth at the thought.  If it happens here, then we will truly know that Conservatives have jumped the shark.

MV5BMTU1MjAxMDg1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM1ODQyOTE@._V1_UY268_CR177,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

another reason its a shame Ambrose isn't running, pretty sure she was promoting the idea of an all-party committee for funding the services. 

Yes, in question period she had stated something along the lines that military procurement/purchasing needs to be non partisan and have more military oversight. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/meet-the-four-people-vying-for-the-conservative-leadership-as-the-race-draws-to-a-close

The Conservative leadership race is down to its final weeks as ballots must be in by August 21.

The four remaining candidates are:

- Peter McKay

- Erin O'Toole

- Derrick Sloan

- Leslyn Lewis

Barring an upset it will be either McKay or O'Toole as the winner of the race since the other two are unknowns.

25 minutes ago, DonLever said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/meet-the-four-people-vying-for-the-conservative-leadership-as-the-race-draws-to-a-close

The Conservative leadership race is down to its final weeks as ballots must be in by August 21.

The four remaining candidates are:

- Peter McKay

- Erin O'Toole

- Derrick Sloan

- Leslyn Lewis

Barring an upset it will be either McKay or O'Toole as the winner of the race since the other two are unknowns.

We didn't have a good amount of options for leader this time around. Pierre Poilievre would of been my guy but he has got a young family.

Probably not the time to lead the Cons anyway. My bet is McKay though.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We didn't have a good amount of options for leader this time around. Pierre Poilievre would of been my guy but he has got a young family.

Not sure how people can get behind Pierre myself.

Watched him for almost 5 years as the role of Harper's mouthpiece.  Obfuscating and failing to answer every question.  He then turned around and spent 4 years claiming Trudeau couldn't speak for himself.

This guy and Callandra for me were the epitome of no fault, no blame, do as I say not as I do issues with the conservative brand.

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Not sure how people can get behind Pierre myself.

Watched him for almost 5 years as the role of Harper's mouthpiece.  Obfuscating and failing to answer every question.  He then turned around and spent 4 years claiming Trudeau couldn't speak for himself.

This guy and Callandra for me were the epitome of no fault, no blame, do as I say not as I do issues with the conservative brand.

He was in his late 20s, early 30s during his early career? I just prefer him over the current ballot of candidates for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He was in his late 20s, early 30s during his early career? I just prefer him over the current ballot of candidates for sure. 

He was mid 30s.  He's a yes man.  Little to no leadership qualities.

As apt to point a finger and assign blame as he is to lead or accept it

• Cheers 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

He was mid 30s.  He's a yes man.  Little to no leadership qualities.

As apt to point a finger and assign blame as he is to lead or accept it

Currently he is not in the wrong in pointing the blame. He is also night and day compared to McKay in terms of your descriptions. I remember you calling McKay a sellout.

Whether he has or can acquire leadership traits, I really can't see him doing worse than Scheer. Then again I don't see many people being worse than him.

Either way I would see it as a step in a better direction.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Currently he is not in the wrong in pointing the blame. He is also night and day compared to McKay in terms of your descriptions. I remember you calling McKay a sellout.

Whether he has or can acquire leadership traits, I really can't see him doing worse than Scheer. Then again I don't see many people being worse than him.

The issue is, I am not looking for someone to "do better or worse" than anyone.

I am looking for someone who will actually lead.  not point fingers.  not say "they did bad" then turn around and do worse while in power.  At this point in time, in the entire Conservative brass echelons, I see MAYBE one or two people that fit that role and one of them was completely discredited in terms of a potential leadership position during this race.

18 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yep, Pierre would have made a great Prime Minister.  It was sad to see him not running, he's sure turned up the heat over the last 5 months.  He would have been easy to cast a vote for.

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

McKay is a sellout. His lying to the PC base is what made me switch to Liberal. 

Poilievre would be much worse than Scheer imo. I understand someone with a young family liking that part of his life, but the country is made up of a lot of different kinds of family situations, I'm not sure that really gives him any kind of an edge in terms of leading for all of us. 

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The issue is, I am not looking for someone to "do better or worse" than anyone.

I am looking for someone who will actually lead.  not point fingers.  not say "they did bad" then turn around and do worse while in power.  At this point in time, in the entire Conservative brass echelons, I see MAYBE one or two people that fit that role and one of them was completely discredited in terms of a potential leadership position during this race.

Ambrose was the best pure leader imo of the old bunch. I really don't see anyone out of the old Harper crew that comes close. 

46 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

McKay is a sellout. His lying to the PC base is what made me switch to Liberal. 

Poilievre would be much worse than Scheer imo. I understand someone with a young family liking that part of his life, but the country is made up of a lot of different kinds of family situations, I'm not sure that really gives him any kind of an edge in terms of leading for all of us. 

I hate McKay.

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

McKay IS a sell out.  He sold the entire Conservative brand to the Reformers for a win and essentially changed the course of Canadian politics to the right of centre forever.

Since then the Conservative brand has gone from fringe social issues and a majority mandate of financial conservatism to a borderline hyper religious group of finger pointing Neo-capitalists.  The furthest thing from small government, fiscally responsible and not caring what the people were doing in their bedrooms

This is the most essential reason I could never take him seriously.  he sold it all for an electoral win.  He got it.  But he changed the course of the political identity for the entire right wing in canada when he did it.

I stand by my statement.  There might be 2 potential leaders with genuine foresight who track the true conservative brand and neither of them will ever be qualified as a leader due to, shall we say...inherent bias in the party.

Edited by Warhippy

13 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I hate McKay.

he's a putz. I'm not all that thrilled with Trudeau at the moment (I'd much rather see Freeland take over) but P-Mac flat out lied to the old PC base in a very fundamental way. Yes all politicians lie, but not many lie about fundamental shifts in party platforms.