Sign in to follow this  
Warhippy

[Discussion] Is the Next Great Recession Already Underway?

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

World is not a fair place...

/thread

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

As I posted earlier, the race to the bottom seems to only be getting worse. And as automation continues, it's only going to get worse and effect far more than just millenials ability to spend.

In a consumer economy, you simply  can't expect to keep reducing pay and at the same time expect the economy to keep rolling. Without numerous, well paying jobs (or some new monetary system), we're basically f'd.

But at least Bezos and the like are worth $10B...

Makes me wonder if I should just keep my +/- $350k from our house sale in the bank for now...:ph34r:

Gold....honestly its looking like a very safe haven over the next 14 months or so

56 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Gold....honestly its looking like a very safe haven over the next 14 months or so

Right now it's in a low interest, but liquid, GIC. If we end up renting rather than buying, that will change.

So, great indicators or common stress tests of economic/trade scenarios include the PEST and SWOT analysis

Political

Economic

Social

Technological

and

Strengths

Weaknesses

Opportunities

Threats

These are agendas every analyst must make before engaging in trade/economic decisions.  As of right now there is ongoing conflict in the middle east.  Political.  Canada is set to lose almost 100,000 jobs in the next 5 years to technological automation.  Technological.  Ongoing issues with private landowners, first nations bands and a social movement towards divestment of fossil fuel dependency.  Social.  Economic...well, look at that debt.

Our strengths rest in our resource sector which takes hit after hit after hit.  Our weaknesses lie in the same area, due to the US emerging as an energy exporter, lumber issues and constant trade issues with China and the US we cannot get our footing.  Our opportunities lie in our recent trade compacts but the EU is currently under threat from BREXIT so the CETA is up in the air, the new NAFTA is being ignored by the US president who seems happy to level tariffs on anyone depending on the day regardless of agreements.  The newest threat is currently coming from China with the Coronavirus which threatens to bring travel and thus trade to a halt.  During the SARS epidemic China lost between .8% and 2% of their GDP or stymied growth.

As of right now every possible scenario that could trigger an economic meltdown is there.  So...pay off your debt?

Maybe I'm doom and gloom but long term we look good, but the bumps in the road are kind of frightening in their number

On 1/20/2020 at 10:45 AM, Kragar said:

Necessity, or ignorance? Obviously a mix of both, but I wonder how many of those not saving and living paycheck to paycheck enjoy their regular avocado toast and latte, iPhone 11, and lease a nice car.

mmmm, Avocado toast.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsrwVgh8s1QlaMI93kLDk

• Haha 1