The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Will the Next one be the Worst Recession in History?

Warhippy

31 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Surrey has prepared you well, huh? B)

Not sure what will change for ya!

Yah, living a  block from Crescent beach has been really tough on me.  Choosing kayaking in the ocean or golfing on a daily basis is just exhausting.....

LOL 

PS - i like Huntington beach as well.. great surf... but must get tiring when the teens trash your downtown so often..... no ?

Must be a pretty ugly place to live since you have curfews in place at night.... wow... gotta love the USA....

Edited by kingofsurrey

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I hate to sound all preachy or holier-than-thou... but if the average person really forgo spending that extra week in Vegas, stop going to the bars/clubs by half, choose a Civic instead of a Mercedes, don't buy that second pair of Bruno Magli or Louboutin, and especially skip on that daily latte.... if most people did that, the consumer debt levels in this country would be down dramatically. 

I don't even know what that is!  

But you're right, I know WAY to many people who complain about money then buy this, that and the other thing and I am looking at them like "uhhhhh did you really need that?"

My parents always taught me theres a need and a want, I have become pretty good at looking at something and saying "do I really need this or do I just want this?"

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Russ said:

But you're right, I know WAY to many people who complain about money then buy this, that and the other thing and I am looking at them like "uhhhhh did you really need that?"

My parents always taught me theres a need and a want, I have become pretty good at looking at something and saying "do I really need this or do I just want this?"

Bruno Magli is a brand of Italian designer men's shoes that retails about 300-600 bucks.

Christian Louboutin are women's shoe and handbag brand... their iconic footwear can easily be $2000+.  

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, living a  block from Crescent beach has been really tough on me.  Choosing kayaking in the ocean or golfing on a daily basis is just exhausting.....

LOL 

PS - i like Huntington beach as well.. great surf... but must get tiring when the teens trash your downtown so often..... no ?

Must be a pretty ugly place to live since you have curfews in place at night.... wow... gotta love the USA....

The only curfew is at the beach.  I have no issue with them closing them when they do... keeps the beaches cleaner. 

As nice as it is, I'm getting closer and closer to being ready to move away.  Freeway life here is taking its toll.

Edit: as far as teens trashing the place, yeah, too often.  Once!

Crescent is pretty nice place, too!

Edited by Kragar

10 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Bruno Magli is a brand of Italian designer men's shoes that retails about 300-600 bucks.

Christian Louboutin are women's shoe and handbag brand... their iconic footwear can easily be $2000+.  

Yea sounds like someone's been around my gf....lol

will never understand that don't get me wrong I'll spend  800 bucks on a pair of cowboy boots but they last and are a tax right off for me or getting a tailored suit for work are both right offs but her shopping and her friends just blow my mind....if anyone knows how to write of shopping let me know lol

but you pay for what you get I guess....

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Ahhh its like that ritsey store in Vancouver that I went into one time and said "Who would actually pay these prices for the crap that I can get the same looking for a fraction of the price" and some couple gave me the nastiest look as they had a bunch of purses etc. in their hands.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

Ahhh its like that ritsey store in Vancouver that I went into one time and said "Who would actually pay these prices for the crap that I can get the same looking for a fraction of the price" and some couple gave me the nastiest look as they had a bunch of purses etc. in their hands.

my gf was like that...i miss those days ha

edit* posted this cause the line" can buy the same damn thing at wal mart for half price"

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Russ said:

I just spent $17,230 on camera equipment.  Why?

Because I only need to shoot 7 weddings this year to pay for it and have 11 booked.

Everything I buy is an investment towards a better future.  I've reached a point where I don't need to further invest in my business and can now instead invest in my families future.

Much of my equipment was purchased on layaway program where I put down an initial deposit and worked my arse off for it in payments before I got to take it home.  Hell, even did that with my wife's engagement ring.

I don't get the need to have a wardrobe full of crap you'll never wear or take vacations you'll need to spend the rest of the year paying off.

That mentality escapes me entirely

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Because I only need to shoot 7 weddings this year to pay for it and have 11 booked.

Everything I buy is an investment towards a better future.  I've reached a point where I don't need to further invest in my business and can now instead invest in my families future.

Much of my equipment was purchased on layaway program where I put down an initial deposit and worked my arse off for it in payments before I got to take it home.  Hell, even did that with my wife's engagement ring.

I don't get the need to have a wardrobe full of crap you'll never wear or take vacations you'll need to spend the rest of the year paying off.

Oh geeze I should have hired you!  The prices the person who did our wedding could have paid it off after 3-4.  That was probably the single biggest cost of my whole bloody wedding!

Well done Hippy glad to hear thats going good.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

The only curfew is at the beach.  I have no issue with them closing them when they do... keeps the beaches cleaner. 

As nice as it is, I'm getting closer and closer to being ready to move away.  Freeway life here is taking its toll.

Edit: as far as teens trashing the place, yeah, too often.  Once!

Crescent is pretty nice place, too!

I like Laguna....   do you think it is  / would be . a pretty cool spot to live..  I always find Newport pretty busy.... Laguna seems more quiet....

Edited by kingofsurrey

On 1/14/2020 at 3:41 PM, aGENT said:

Currently sitting on a few hundred K + from our house sale and besides some moderate, short term and 0% car loans and a paid off monthly CC, don't have any debt. But I'd be lying if I tried to claim the impending life/career change of moving to the island and going contract/working from home for my current employer doesn't have my sphincter a bit tighter than normal. Particularly given all the economic topics being discussed here.

Yea dawg leave the city! Best financial move ever!

On 1/14/2020 at 6:19 PM, canuktravella said:

ya i seen a lot with 2 acres for 75 k im probably buying that its 20 mins drive to nelson i dont mind making less i wont have rent anymore. soo ican. buy atruck trailer until cabin isbuilt and  bartenders make minimum wage usually anyway  full time thats 2000 in wage plus tips theres a million bars in nelson and ski areas 

Quiet down....it's already crowded out here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I take it you love your job? 

Also I hope you wrote all that off....

I get why some people shop or take trips, when you don't travel for work and stuck in one spot and for a lot of the people I know work jobs they don't like cause of the money , so why not live a lil..

also I love to travel but if I couldn't write it off I wouldn't do it as much.

also you live in beautiful b.c to where you can find new breath taking views , places like Manitoba and s.k and even parts of Alberta have nothing to offer really...like b.c has. 

When I lived in b.c I felt blessed cause there's so much crown land and things to do all year around so why travel when you have that ha. 

9 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

If you need a place there's room in my barn, if you want? Lol there's wifi and it's heated too lol

Awesome but if i am living on a can of baked beans each day.... i don't think i can afford an iphone.

Thanks about the barn offer.... I can collect eggs , milk cows and clean out stalls for you for a meal each day ... If i am asking too much, maybe you could just give me a few cobs of corn and 1 onion,  1-2 potatoes each day so i can make some kind of a soup.

PS - the hobo camp site by the tracks looks like maybe a bit more fun that your barn TBH. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Awesome but if i am living on a can of baked beans each day.... i don't think i can afford an iphone.

Thanks about the barn offer.... I can collect eggs , milk cows and clean out stalls for you for a meal each day ... If i am asking too much, maybe you could just give me a few cobs of corn and 1 onion,  1-2 potatoes each day so i can make some kind of a soup.

Your right sorry but you could afford a samsung ha

also that's why there's youngins , oh dont worry you work and you'll get to have a big home cooked country dinner, fried chicken with the works. 

just one rule though don't touch my still or my shine lol

edit* I guess those camps lack woman by the pictures you used and there's a farmers daughter down the road lol

Edited by RowdyCanuck

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Your right sorry but you could afford a samsung ha

also that's why there's youngins , oh dont worry you work and you'll get to have a big home cooked country dinner, fried chicken with the works. 

just one rule though don't touch my still or my shine lol

Did you say still and shine.......

200.gif

• Haha 1