The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Caps re sign backstrom to 5 year, 46 mill contract

cuporbust

9+ seems insanely high but I'm guessing they've considered everything he's done for that franchise and gave him an extra 2+ or so.. Something like we did (on a much smaller scale) with Burrows (who had his best seasons at 1m if i recall correctly, and signed for 4m after his best seasons). 

The term is fine though and I'm sure they've thought of their cap situation going forward. I wouldn't look too much into it, Washington is a very well ran team. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Ovechkin UFA in 2 years. He'll be 36, that will be an interesting negotiation...already 71M engaged for 16 players next year, however nobody significant to re-sign beside Holtby.  Not sure he's coming back.

I had the same thought about Holtby. Have to imagine they're gonna run with Samsonov next year. It makes the most sense cap-wise. 

Regarding Ovi, I absolutely would not be surprised if he took a huge pay cut to chase cups for a couple of years. He's made his money and then some already. 

• Upvote 1

Great deal for both sides. He’s always managed to be a 70+ point player. And at 32, he’s still on pace to get that. He also always steps up his game come playoff time, so they know what they’re getting come postseason. One of the best playmakers in the league.

Would love to see the Caps win one more with this group.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Overpaid.

He is too old for this kind of contract. Will bite them later.

Some GMs will never learn. In Washington’s defence though, they haven’t really dealt with this issue as much as other teams. 

Unless your an Ovechkin, Crosby or McDavid, players in their 30’s should not be getting close to 10M per year for multiple years. When their skills and abilities drop, they drop quick and teams are stuck with their salary cap situations.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

42 minutes ago, Caboose said:

9.2M is almost identical to the 6.7M deal he signed way back when in terms of % of the salary cap.

11.29% vs 11.28%

Seems like a pretty fair deal to lock down a franchise icon. Guarantee an agent gets him more term and more money.

But agent fee is like 10%? 15%?

More money by how much? No more than 10-10.5M per year I'd assume and by how many years more? 1 year? 2 years? that would take him to 38, 39 at the end of the deal. I'd say no ways Caps give him more than 5 years actually as we all know and I'm sure the Caps know that players performance dips after 35, even for elite players like Backstrom. I thought the Caps were already being generous by giving him 5 years, if they were playing hard ball with an agent, I'm sure they will bargain hard for a 3 year deal and maybe settle for 4 years.

The agent can get you an additional 1M per year. But the fee you pay is going to be about 1M assuming 10% fee, giving Backstrom 9M per season so net income to Backstrom is going to be similar. If Backstrom hired an agent, the only party that loses is Washington as Backstrom will be signed at higher cap. Backstrom did the smart thing by bypassing an agent and I think Washington negotiated in good faith in return.

• Upvote 2

I think there's way too much nostalgia among fans for those 6-7 million dollar deals elite players used to get. The game has changed to put a much greater emphasis on skill.

Teams need to be allocating their salary cap to their stars, not shelling out 3-4 million dollar deals for role players. This is the new model.

1 hour ago, Caboose said:

9.2M is almost identical to the 6.7M deal he signed way back when in terms of % of the salary cap.

11.29% vs 11.28%

Seems like a pretty fair deal to lock down a franchise icon. Guarantee an agent gets him more term and more money.

Except you have to pay the agent and then it usually gets acrimonious "will he stay or will he go" and you wind up being moved on against your own wishes for more money that you might get.

If he wants to see out his career in Washington without headaches and without paying a pointless Realtor agent, takes 5% less to do it he makes the same money.

Backstrom's been remarkably consistent with his production and has been healthy for the most part over the years, so long as he's Ovi's running mate I don't see his production falling off a cliff. This likely means Holtby's either moved or allowed to walk though. 

I could see Ovi taking less on his next contract, he seems like that kind of guy. The tricky part for Washington is going to be insulating their aging stars with young talent. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Overpaid.

He is too old for this kind of contract. Will bite them later.

Some GMs will never learn. In Washington’s defence though, they haven’t really dealt with this issue as much as other teams. 

Unless your an Ovechkin, Crosby or McDavid, players in their 30’s should not be getting close to 10M per year for multiple years. When their skills and abilities drop, they drop quick and teams are stuck with their salary cap situations.

Yeah, probably. It reminds me of Wheeler in Winnipeg. A bit rich, but they had to keep him.

This will probably help keep OV happy - the Caps will probably go for at least 1 more cup in the next 3 playoffs. After that, this deal will look pretty bad, but if they won 2 cups no one will care.