The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 14, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I take full responsibility for the loss....Pizza must have read my post...and played like it was game 7 of the finals...I never, ever seen him play that complete a game for us...!

Seriously though, this Petey thing of hitting at least one post a game (probably averaging close to 2) is a prime example of Canuckluck....or lack of it...

We need some serious mojo purveyors on the team...! and in the stands...!

• Upvote 1

Just now, LowerMainLander18 said:

JV actually started out his NHL career playing the way he did in the Juniors.

What he didn't know is that in the pro leagues, physical game takes a lot more than just playing physical on the ice. 

Players play by the codes and they have to know the consequences before playing certain ways/ making certain hits. 

In the juniors, he was one of the biggest kids out there so he did whatever he wanted and still did not worry about people getting back at him. 

But in the pro leagues, there are behemoths out there and u have to pay back for ur actions sooner or later. 

And it is not an easy task playing thru season worrying about those. 

Rouss has been around the ages and he cherished playing that game. It was necessary of him to play that game to stay in the NHL. 

He knows well of all the consequences and how he needs to play thru certain stress.

On the other hand, JV entered the league and went thru a pretty tough first season, got some reputations, players/ refs were aware of him out there. 

His recurrent shoulder injury and suspensions he received didnt help his situation as well. 

Plus, he doesnt need to play that game to be successful in the NHL. So he changed his game a bit to first learn the NHL game. 

Many power forwards go thru such adjustments there is nothing wrong.

Once he figures out more and be comfortable in the league, he can bring that element back and be more mentally ready for it. 

This season, he picks his spots to be physical which I like. 

He will continue to develop and noone here knows what kind of player he chooses to reach his full potential. 

Just my two cents. 

I can appreciate everything your saying, the history of Jake etc.... but I'm disheartened when you say "once he figures out more", and "He will continue to develop" 

I think it's time to stop wishing and hoping that Jake is going to become something more than he is. Yes he had a good run 2-4 weeks back, but now 5 games and no Jake again.

Jake does not have it in him to be physical at the NHL level. Maybe, just maybe with the return of Ferland, he might move towards that role, but I'm not holding on to hope anymore

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

That was hockey at its best? 

Seriously? 

And, playoff hockey, that?

You’ve lost the plot, bud, that or you have exceeding low expectations and experience, if I’m being honest. (Lots of young people on here, I never know who is responding...)

I doubt you even realize the straw man argument you’ve used, placed in italics.

Look it up. Textbook example here. I’m not being facetious, it is what it is. Be better. 

It would be a more enjoyable experience for all if you/all were to construct your argument without the deployment this common faux pas and intellectually deficient tactic. 

Its becoming increasingly more difficult to take this place seriously with comments like those, no offence intended either, but it’s part of the culture here now, I get it; it’s a “fan” site. 

Feel free to disagree with my comments, it doesn’t matter much unless they are directed at the person, when it’s not worth a response. (Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t be a good idea to have to have a posters age beside their posts on here)

Yes please it would make conversations or debates go better cause Then if the poster is younger you try to use players or coaches they know or from their era.

Just my two cents though. 

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I can appreciate everything your saying, the history of Jake etc.... but I'm disheartened when you say "once he figures out more", and "He will continue to develop" 

I think it's time to stop wishing and hoping that Jake is going to become something more than he is. Yes he had a good run 2-4 weeks back, but now 5 games and no Jake again.

Jake does not have it in him to be physical at the NHL level. Maybe, just maybe with the return of Ferland, he might move towards that role, but I'm not holding on to hope anymore

Jake is becoming more than he was game by game...he has made it to the 2nd PP unit and he holds on to the puck until there is a safe but also good option and makes the pass to the stick.  Over the last few weeks he has matured enough to start seeing the play instead of being behind the play.

If he hit like Tchapuke ....he would get suspended in the blink of an eye...I have no idea what Pronger is thinking...but my guess is that he is friends with Papa puke,,,,

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

:) I feel your concern. 

And I think not all players reach their potentials throughout their careers. 

What I typed up there might just be wishful thinking. But I think he's not fully utilizing everything he has in him. 

And altho until this year, his development has been slow, he has been getting better. 

This year, he got a lot better. 

So I don't think it's a blind hope to wish him to get better as he has been steadily getting better. 

He will not be the saviour of our team. But he will become a good piece. 

And I do think his game could get a bit meaner as he feels more comfortable out there. 

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

How can you say that? He plays like burrows to be honest, burr had juice backing him up and over jakes career his captain has thrown him under the bus for a late hit and if rumors are true Willie told jake to easy up cause he can really hurt players with his hits. 

Jake isn't the pack leader just like burr wasn't and we need to find a pack leader ferland might be it but I'm not holding my breathe cause his best hockey he played was in Calgary and he had that D man watching his back.  

If jake had people that encouraged him to muck it up from the start we might be looking at a different player.....

also so that whole line has gone quiet. Rooster Guad and Jake so can't put that all on Jake. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Are the Jets forwards really that fast or are the Canucks defense that slow?  Yes, we all know that Edler is just slightly faster than a pilon!  On the ice and out of position on three of the Jets goals.  Hoping he is looking for a place to live in Seattle.

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Jake may love to hit, but if he won't stand up for himself when his victim comes back fighting mad, he'll get a reputation: think M.Tkturtle.  The NHL may baby those types, but the players and fans have little respect for them.

I agree that Jake is being more selective when he makes a hit and if he wants to avoid fighting, he will have to continue along those lines.

That's why I'm so interested in when the Canucks make the playoffs, i want to see if Green will let him go free cause if Jake plays the regular season this way and gets 40 points and no injuries and Green is just saving him for the one when the refs put the whistles away....I can live with that but if not....I'll be disappointed ha

edit* if you look at a lot of jakes big hits their clean so I don't think he should have to fight unless he targets someone 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Like 1

One thing I noticed during the game last night that I thought was cool.

At the start of the third period Travis Green was going individually to each young player on the bench and whispering something in there ear. I think it’s awesome that our coach takes such a personal approach to the team.

• Cheers 2

That was the worse puck luck we've had in a game in years.  All this talk about lack of hits but I felt the team played well after the overturned 2nd goal.  They were looking for goals and didn't need hits to change momentum as I felt they had most of it.  Hughes had a bit of a tough game.  They pushed hard and didn't give up even after the 3rd goal.  Chalk another one up to growing pains and move on.  We're still in the mix.

Happy to get all the bad luck out of the way now.  Hopefully we can stay healthy and get hot to secure a playoff spot and going into the playoffs.

13 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I agree.

I got flamed for proposing signing Kassian in Ufa

Obviously they would have to make it work contract wise, somehow remove Eriksson or do something.

But we need some angry grit.

Kassian completely won me over with his recent suspension for pummelling that ass clown MT and his comments about it after. Look forward to some more highlights between those two guys - re-ignited the rather tame battle of Alberta too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

One thing I noticed during the game last night that I thought was cool.

At the start of the third period Travis Green was going individually to each young player on the bench and whispering something in there ear. I think it’s awesome that our coach takes such a personal approach to the team.

Would he nice if Green whisper finish your hits and make them pay every chance you get instead of sweet nothings.....that's also why I like green a lil cause he does have the guys listening most of the time but he needs a vet beside him guiding him cause his making the same mistakes Willis did. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We were the better team but one of those nights where their goalie has horseshoes up his butt.

On a side note Winnipeg is definitely the ugliest team in the league. 

Courtesy the Winnipeg team doctor...suspicions confirmed.

spacer.png

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That's why I'm so interested in when the Canucks make the playoffs, i want to see if Green will let him go free cause if Jake plays the regular season this way and gets 40 points and no injuries and Green is just saving him for the one when the refs put the whistles away....I can live with that but if not....I'll be disappointed ha

edit* if you look at a lot of jakes big hits their clean so I don't think he should have to fight unless he targets someone 

Except that a lot of clean hits end up in a fight anyways.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Have a drink Jay, he's 5th in team goals.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

How can you say that? He plays like burrows to be honest, burr had juice backing him up and over jakes career his captain has thrown him under the bus for a late hit and if rumors are true Willie told jake to easy up cause he can really hurt players with his hits. 

Jake isn't the pack leader just like burr wasn't and we need to find a pack leader ferland might be it but I'm not holding my breathe cause his best hockey he played was in Calgary and he had that D man watching his back.  

If jake had people that encouraged him to muck it up from the start we might be looking at a different player.....

also so that whole line has gone quiet. Rooster Guad and Jake so can't put that all on Jake. 

I like Jake but in no way does he play like Burrows,  but you are right about that line going quiet, Gaudette has not been very good at all and I love Rous but even he is not doing well.

20 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Except that a lot of clean hits end up in a fight anyways.

Your right and even tree said something about that....

also why I think we need to add an fighter like Lowry or reeves so there's a pecking order.....

you think Lucic is just going to let Kassin kill MT in their next game? 

Same reason why a lot of teams don't play big against the Knights cause reeves will make you answer for it and the Knights players play bigger with reeves. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I like Jake but in no way does he play like Burrows,  but you are right about that line going quiet, Gaudette has not been very good at all and I love Rous but even he is not doing well.

I just meant both Jake and burr are pests not really fighters...

when jake wants to be he can be a big pest ha.

It's just we don't see it on a nightly bases..

if that line is pestering the other team , it's probably our second best line most nights but when they don't pester their quiet. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Would he nice if Green whisper finish your hits and make them pay every chance you get instead of sweet nothings.....that's also why I like green a lil cause he does have the guys listening most of the time but he needs a vet beside him guiding him cause his making the same mistakes Willis did. 

Oh I didn’t realize you knew what he was saying to them. If he was making the same mistakes Willie did we wouldn’t be where we are right now in the standings.

Fantenberg and Tyler motte would be getting top minutes instead of Hughes and Pettersson. Comparing Green to WD is absolutely ridiculous.