The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 14, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

I don't use the scoresheet to determine how someone is playing.. I watch the games. Maybe next game, watch Jake without the puck, watch him do fly bys.. watch how he transitions into the back check. Fastest guy on the team, very slow to transition and start a back check.

I get that people see him being something great in 2 more years... but right now the facts are there. I'm simply pointing them out. I think these are more accurate and relavent than a good 10 game run of scoring.

Funny cause I see him back checking very hard a few times last game. And in most games. Does he do it every shift? No, but a lot of the time I see him looking for someone to cover instead of just hauling ass back to stand in no man's lands covering someone a defender is covering. I admit he is doing more flybys. Not sure how much of that is it being coached into him. The only one throwing hits on this team with regularity is Motte, and at his size the hits are largely meaningless. So I do feel it's a coaching thing and not necessarily a Jake thing. It's weird how much more Jake needs to do to be considered engaged. It's like he needs to do everything at a decently high level or he is inconsistent/not doing enough. Defensively he is fine, offensively, considering his ice time, is more than fine, physically he is not doing less than most. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I believe it’s actually the goalie coach that makes those calls. I understand that green has final say but they take what the goalie coach says heavily into consideration. 

Maybe Green vetoed what the goalie coach recommended?  As you say, Green makes the final call. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Guys like Gallant don’t come free often.  We missed out on Trots.  Sometimes the GM has to do what’s needed (even if the timing isn’t quite right) to make his team better. 

I don't think we missed out on torts I think right coach wrong time/team. 

But I agree alf! 100% 

cause gallant took a bunch of new players and made them into a mean team that went to the final and to me that shows how good of a coach he is. 

Green I think in acouple more years under more leadership , he will be a good NHL coach but right now I don't like him learning on the job cause we have a young team paying for his mistakes....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Green vetoed what the goalie coach recommended?  As you say, Green makes the final call. 

Could have, I just feel like that’s an unrealistic assumption he would do that. Especially with the outstanding track record and reputation Ian Clark has as a goalie coach. But it’s entirely possible.

• Like 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

I don't think we missed out on torts I think right coach wrong time/team. 

But I agree alf! 100% 

cause gallant took a bunch of new players and made them into a mean team that went to the final and to me that shows how good of a coach he is. 

Green I think in acouple more years under more leadership , he will be a good NHL coach but right now I don't like him learning on the job cause we have a young team paying for his mistakes....

I think Trots was free a couple years ago after he didn’t resign is Washington, wasn’t he?  The Islanders grabbed him, didn’t they?  That’s Lou Lam being an experienced GM doing what’s needed.  JB should do what Lou Lam did.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I think Trots was free a couple years ago after he didn’t resign is Washington, wasn’t he?  The Islanders grabbed him, didn’t they?  That’s Lou Lam being an experienced GM doing what’s needed.  JB should do what Lou Lam did.  

Sorry I read that wrong sorry I thought it said torts not trots ha

yea another great coach we missed out on. 

Young teams need vets or that's how I feel. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Sorry I read that wrong sorry I thought it said torts not trots ha

yea another great coach we missed out on. 

Young teams need vets or that's how I feel. 

Gallant is clearly a superior coach to Green.  GM’s make player trades.  Make this coaching move, and give our young core their best support.  We got Miller, Myers, Benn, Beagle, and other experienced players to support our young core, why not get a similarly experienced coach?  Makes no sense to get the experienced players to help our young core, but not a the coach.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gallant is clearly a superior coach to Green.  GM’s make player trades.  Make this coaching move, and give our young core their best support.  We got Miller, Myers, Benn, Beagle, and other experienced players to support our young core, why not get a similarly experienced coach?  Makes no sense to get the experienced players to help our young core, but not a the coach.  

Pitts fired their coach half way threw the season and won the cup and didn't the blues fire their coach before going to win their cup? I'm with yea con that alf. 

i agree and I think the plan was to have torts coach in the NHL and have green in the ahl for awhile longer then it did happen....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Except that a lot of clean hits end up in a fight anyways.

Yep, clean BIG hits often do.  Anyone on the CDC that thinks JV is going to morph into a power forward doesn't know what that means.   Go watch somebody Neely tape.  Or Shanny, or Stevens or I hate to say it MT dick father.   League wide power forwards are fading out of existence just like the enforcers did.   It's just as much a generational thing as anything. Hockey's not the same as it used to be.   The only way JV is going to be empowered is if he had a big brother to back him up.   Maybe Tree will come back and offer enough a deterrent,  I highly doubt he will do anything on his own without back up on a regular basis.  Hope he makes me wrong - maybe the playoffs change things maybe they don't.  Has about as much fight in him as Geoff Courtnal did - and at least he tried to fight on occasion.  

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Pitts fired their coach half way threw the season and won the cup and didn't the blues fire their coach before going to win their cup? I'm with yea con that alf. 

i agree and I think the plan was to have torts coach in the NHL and have green in the ahl for awhile longer then it did happen....

Canucks don’t have nearly as good of a roster as Pittsburgh and St. Louis had/have. So I don’t think these situations are comparable. 

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Pitts has done that twice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And yet he's got a superior roster and they are barely ahead of us.   I'd agree he's the better coach given what he's managed so far in this league - but I do think a fair portion of the anti-Green CDCers overrate our current roster.   The best any experts had us in the standings at the start of the year was 4th in our division and a wild card spot, most had us just outside of the playoffs looking in yet here we are.  One more win and Gallant would have time off in the All-Star game and Green would be coaching.   Vegas currently has the best team yet by adding Stone and Patches...and they still have MAF.   Yet aren't dominating like they did with a worse roster.

Careful what you wish for.   I for one don't think there are many coaches that better suit this team.  Gallant does happen to be one of them yet he's barely ahead of us with a better roster...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So many teams change coaches during the season now that maybe it’s just the odds for a team with a new coach winning the Cup?  I think if the GM can make a move to make his team better he has to do that.  Gallant almost certainly makes us better IMO.  

(Wasn’t Green still coaching in the WHL as an assistant when we had that Torts year?)

9 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Canucks don’t have nearly as good of a roster as Pittsburgh and St. Louis had/have. So I don’t think these situations are comparable. 

I mean it doesn't always hurt the team to change caches half way threw the year and I don't want anymore rookies coaches.willie and green have been enough don't get me wrong I think one day green will be a good coach in the NHL but not right now.....he lacks the knowledge and only has green horns next to him......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I mean it doesn't always hurt the team to change caches half way threw the year and I don't want anymore rookies coaches.willie and green have been enough don't get me wrong I think one day green will be a good coach in the NHL but not right now.....he lacks the knowledge and only has green horns next to him......

The coaching changes you name are from teams that were underachieving.  The Canucks are not underachieving, therefore no changes need to be made yet.  The Canucks are not cup contenders.  We hope they will be in a couple of seasons, so if they are not performing well in a couple years, maybe it's time for a coaching change.  Everybody saying we need a coaching change now are a little too trigger happy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So many teams change coaches during the season now that maybe it’s just the odds for a team with a new coach winning the Cup?  I think if the GM can make a move to make his team better he has to do that.  Gallant almost certainly makes us better IMO.  

(Wasn’t Green still coaching in the WHL as an assistant when we had that Torts year?)

Iirc they both came in 2013 , torts NHL and green ahl. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

The coaching changes you name are from teams that were underachieving.  The Canucks are not underachieving, therefore no changes need to be made yet.  The Canucks are not cup contenders.  We hope they will be in a couple of seasons, so if they are not performing well in a couple years, maybe it's time for a coaching change.  Everybody saying we need a coaching change now are a little too trigger happy.

Why say we’re not underachieving?  We have a really good young core, who are supported by some quality veterans.  Plus we have top goalies.  Just because eastern media says we are a bubble team doesn’t make it so. To me we are definitely underachieving.  Our goal should be higher than just being a bubble team.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

So we haven't lost games due to the HC's system?

i think the team is more talented then the system itself. 

Green has slowly changed lil things which is what you like to see in an ahl coach but this young team needs a vet coach on the coaching staff. 

Thats why I don't put all the blame on green but the other coaches too but they answer to green.