The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 14, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

To me those years are blended together.  Gallant made a team that was predicted to be terrible good.  They really don’t have our elite skill.  We should be doing better, and Gallant would do that.  IMO.  

Still drunk from back then ... I see the problem LoL!  Gallant has definitely been the better coach the past 3 years, but Green has been the better coach this year than Gallant IMO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Still drunk from back then ... I see the problem LoL!  Gallant has definitely been the better coach the past 3 years, but Green has been the better coach this year than Gallant IMO.

How so? Gallant has no real star players.....Green has had Brock and petey and Hughes to help pad his stats....

Stone is a good player but his no star and I could say that about that whole roster other then flury....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Marky looked off last night.  That’s how he looks, when he’s tired.  That’s on Green.  Load management is super important, and Green misses the boat on that subject.  

Can anyone point to me a single thing Green adds to the team that demonstrates his coaching style?

Willie D we could say that we worked hard for 60 mins. Allan V, who now looking back might have been

the best we ever had, you could see line changes that were effective, you could notice a shift in mental

toughness after a bad period, the team would play tougher as a whole.

With green ive got nothing, he has an eye for the game ive noticed his ability to call the really close 

challenges ill give him that, but ive seen nothing to suggest an ability to take huge gambles and call 

a guy out here or there, or just say the whole team stunk. Or even in the game to make effective 

line changes that make sense have the team fired up after a grinding period. He however is 

still young and im not saying for sure I want him gone but Gallant is looking quite nice right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

How so? Gallant has no real star players.....Green has had Brock and petey and Hughes to help pad his stats....

Stone is a good player but his no star and I could say that about that whole roster other then flury....

No real stars?  Karlsson has scored 43 goals in a season.  Pacioretty has scored 39 goals in a season.  And Stone is considered the best 2-way winger in the game.  And of course Flower.

Alot of Vegas top players have been pretty close to PPG players for a season.  The Canucks do not have a player who has done that since the Sedins, other than Pettersson.

Again the Canucks have the more "potential" at the moment.  That's why the future is so bright.  But right now, Vegas has more proven experienced players. 

2 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Can anyone point to me a single thing Green adds to the team that demonstrates his coaching style?

Willie D we could say that we worked hard for 60 mins. Allan V, who now looking back might have been

the best we ever had, you could see line changes that were effective, you could notice a shift in mental

toughness after a bad period, the team would play tougher as a whole.

With green ive got nothing, he has an eye for the game ive noticed his ability to call the really close 

challenges ill give him that, but ive seen nothing to suggest an ability to take huge gambles and call 

a guy out here or there, or just say the whole team stunk. Or even in the game to make effective 

line changes that make sense have the team fired up after a grinding period. He however is 

still young and im not saying for sure I want him gone but Gallant is looking quite nice right now.

I'd say they work just as hard under Green as they did under Willy D.  AV was/is the best coach we've ever had.  But people were calling for his head before the team took off too.  We need to preach patience.  Too many fans are impatient and want changes now.

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I'd say they work just as hard under Green as they did under Willy D.  AV was/is the best coach we've ever had.  But people were calling for his head before the team took off too.  We need to preach patience.  Too many fans are impatient and want changes now.

They just need to change the d system. It's absolutely disgusting. The rest is ok at worst and at best top notch. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Are you willing to let a coach like Gallant walk? Everyone in Vegas right now are going crazy because of how good 

this guy was for the team. He hasnt won a cup but neither has Green.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Are you willing to let a coach like Gallant walk? Everyone in Vegas right now are going crazy because of how good 

this guy was for the team. He hasnt won a cup but neither has Green.

Yes I'm willing to let Gallant walk.  Just like I was willing to let Babcock walk.  Just like I was willing to let Quennville walk last year.  I'm fine with the coach.  It's not really the coach that wins/loses the games.  It's the players that cause 95% of the game outcome.  

There's a lot of positives from last night's game but I haven't seen anyone mention the play of Tyler Motte. 

Had 2 major impact hits... And is all in all playing the best hockey in his career. 

Absolutely loved the story Canucks just posted about him and his battle with mental illness. 

I am certainly Hot for Motte! :towel:

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Yes I'm willing to let Gallant walk.  Just like I was willing to let Babcock walk.  Just like I was willing to let Quennville walk last year.  I'm fine with the coach.  It's not really the coach that wins/loses the games.  It's the players that cause 95% of the game outcome.  

I believe we make the playoffs even with Green.  However, if we falter, and fire Green, it is not good management to have let a coach like Gallant sign with another team while hoping it works with Green.  If JB/Aquilini have any thoughts about Green’s future (if we go south) then it’s best to move on Gallant now, even if the timing isn’t right. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why say we’re not underachieving?  We have a really good young core, who are supported by some quality veterans.  Plus we have top goalies.  Just because eastern media says we are a bubble team doesn’t make it so. To me we are definitely underachieving.  Our goal should be higher than just being a bubble team.  

Alf I try to follow every relevant and local sports people the best I can - and can't think of anyone other then Button ("Eastern Bias") TSN and McKea sports (fantasy mag) that picked the Canucks to be a wild card or playoff team this year.   

Most conservatively figured we'd have a modest bump in the standings, few - West or East picked us for a playoff team.   5th seemed to be the consensus in our own division.  

Personally I expected more and agreed with Buttons assessment...but that would put me and you in the minority.   Most would say we are overachieving on that basis alone.   We don't have the troops yet - well we do - they just aren't old enough yet to make a bigger impact.   Look at the Oilers and how long it took them (Gretzkys team).   We are middling team now - a lot better then bottom dwelling (a few years ago we only scored 180ish goals two seasons in a row - record lows) a few years ago...but we are not ready to do much more then contend to make the playoffs at this point- something we are doing ATM, and if we do that's overachieving from what expectations were before the season started.  

• Cheers 1

I don't know what everyone else expectations were when starting the season, but I was expecting to be battling for a wild card spot all the way through.  The experts said we wouldn't be a playoff team.  So the fact that we are battling for 1st in our division and a place as one of the top teams in our conference is beyond expectations. So I feel all these coaching conversations are a little misplaced.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

If you recall Torts had lots of nice things to say about how "tough" the Sedins were, and that year we still had guys that would fight (remember the CAL game when he lost it?).   It was also a more experienced team as a whole (older).   Torts has had to adapt to stay in this league as the generation that's playing now would turn against a Keananesque fear based coaching in a instant.  In fact it hasn't existed for a long time in this league. 

Hitchcock changed years before, another disciplinarian that new to keep coaching in the league he'd have to change with the times.   Babcock....well he's probably never getting another job..

Looks like it's the players coaches that teams want these days - TG is a hybrid like most - Gallant is a players coach, Quenville is a players coach with a strong tactical side - just like Quin was.   It works too - players that love their coach are willing to do anything for them and their team.   

Maybe a more experienced coach is what we will need - but with this roster we are playing a little above expectations as it is so don't see us making a change until that changes. 

I don't want to get on Coach too much after this game because I think he did a pretty good job. I liked the Boes/virt swap and the Loui/Motte swap as well.

BUt over all I don't think Green trusts or inspires his team.

He has no use for his 7th D, his 13th forward or his backup goalie. I don't even know who the 13th forward is right now.

the fact Fantenberg sat 27 games and now Benn can't get a sniff shows a real lack of imagination and trust

And guys coming up from the minors all get stale long before they get into a game

We may as well run a 19 man squad until injuries hit.

This team needs 23 guys pulling together but Coach does not see it that way

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Alf I try to follow every relevant and local sports people the best I can - and can't think of anyone other then Button ("Eastern Bias") TSN and McKea sports (fantasy mag) that picked the Canucks to be a wild card or playoff team this year.   

Most conservatively figured we'd have a modest bump in the standings, few - West or East picked us for a playoff team.   5th seemed to be the consensus in our own division.  

Personally I expected more and agreed with Buttons assessment...but that would put me and you in the minority.   Most would say we are overachieving on that basis alone.   We don't have the troops yet - well we do - they just aren't old enough yet to make a bigger impact.   Look at the Oilers and how long it took them (Gretzkys team).   We are middling team now - a lot better then bottom dwelling (a few years ago we only scored 180ish goals two seasons in a row - record lows) a few years ago...but we are not ready to do much more then contend to make the playoffs at this point- something we are doing ATM, and if we do that's overachieving from what expectations were before the season started.  

How many of those very same experts picked Vegas, in the team’s first season, to be so good?  We have elite core players, excellent supporting cast, and top goaltending.  Don’t those guys deserve a top coach?  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many of those very same experts picked Vegas, in the team’s first season, to be so good?  We have elite core players, excellent supporting cast, and top goaltending.  Don’t those guys deserve a top coach?  

We have the emergence of Markstrom. 

Look at the point totals of Bo Brock Pete and the addition of Miller and how well he's Played. 

Then we've added Myers and Hughes.

Who are the two D that we are now without that we've all complained about that were so terrible? 

I'd say we are underachieving.  

Oh and Pearson has been awesome as well.  And not to shabby a supporting cast with guys like motte rooster and beagle. 

Virtanen is even better. 

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Did anyone pick STL to win the Cup last year? Nope! Just because these guys get paid to express their opinions about hockey doesn't make them experts. Both the season and the playoffs are a long grind and there's a lot of variables and intangibles at play aside from which team has the most goal scorers. What looks good on paper doesn't always pan out irl *cough, Tampa Bay, cough* and teams that sports writers predict to miss the playoffs do win Cups (like St. Louis).

This Canucks team definitely has some elite talent and I agree with Alf that a new coaching staff that recognizes how to utilize player strengths and minimize deficiencies with the group they are given just might be our 'Jordan Binnington'. Based on Greens post game comments night after night he appears clueless about what is lacking and how to fix it. His general attitude seems to be that how they're playing is good enough.  That's not the attitude of a coach who can bring this group to the next level.

Edited by CptCanuck16

8 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Did anyone pick STL to win the Cup last year? Nope! Just because these guys get paid to express their opinions about hockey doesn't make them experts. Both the season and the playoffs are a long grind and there's a lot of variables and intangibles at play aside from which team has the most goal scorers. What looks good on paper doesn't always pan out irl *cough, Tampa Bay, cough* and teams that sports writers predict to miss the playoffs do win Cups (like St. Louis).

This Canucks team definitely has some elite talent and I agree with Alf that a new coaching staff that recognizes how to utilize player strengths and minimize deficiencies with the group they are given just might be our 'Jordan Binnington'. Based on Greens post game comments night after night he appears clueless about what is lacking and how to fix it. His general attitude seems to be that how they're playing is good enough.  That's not the attitude of a coach who can bring this group to the next level.

I think Kipper did but that was it from what i remember!