The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Jan. 14, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, singing chef said:

Vancouver hits in the game.........12  !   A team total of 12.  In Ottawa's game this evening Brady Tkachuk had 6 hits by himself - half the entire Canucks team hits.  Where were you Jake, Roussell, Miller, Fantenberg, Horvat, Gaudette ?  Yes, they had opportunities but they need to take advantage of the opportunity to HIT.

That's why I want Big Mac in for Eriksson 

• Like 1

Strange as it may sound, but the Canucks should've won this game. So many bad bounces, hitting posts, pucks lying in Helly's crease, flubbing shots on open net, etc. They just didn't have any puck luck, as they say.  So frustrating to watch. The best part of the game was Green winning an offside challenge ffs. Edler was terrible. Oh well, next game is at home against ARI. Need to right this ship and get a win. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, iBlueGreen said:

Does Wheeler look big out there or what?  He must be a handful to deal with.  Just looked at his stats, they've improved every year, to now over a point a game!  Very consistent, would love to have this guy on our team, even at 33. I guess he really grew into his body through those years.  Great hands for a big guy. I know Loui isn't a center, but wow, if he was that consistent through his years!

Yip. To think that he was aqruired for basically Peverley back in the day. Turned out to be a steal. 

9 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Well I think we should all take solace in the fact that Willie D isn’t behind the bench cause that was mostly changing the team for the bad.

Thus team isn’t playing to it’s strength, skill and speed. 

instead the strategy has been to grind it out. Yes it’ll get you some wins but then you go through stretches where the team looks apathetic. 

Green is better for sure. Simply because he doesn't twitch and have a clipboard sewn to his hand. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That has to be one of the unluckiest games ever with respect to getting great chances and missing every one of them.

Brutal lol.

Petey misses two in one shift. The open net he would hit 9 times out of 10.

Miller passes near the end of the 3rd when the entire net was open. 

Tons of other posts or bad bounces.

Wow.

Love your sig block. 

Beat me to it. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

5 minutes of urgency in this emotionless game. 

Yawn. 

That sucks man. You need some vitamin :canucks:, or B maybe. 

That's playoff hockey which you apparently yearn for but can't see it. Hmmm. I don't know what pace of hockey you like but it doesn't get much better. 

Maybe smashing people in the face?

Honestly I'm not trying to criticize just wondering how you couldn't see what I saw?

Hockey at it's best.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I disagree with anyone that’s says the coach tells the team to play soft.

its basically a foregone conclusion that snarl is not a natural trait for JV. People keep expecting him to scrum it up etc when the reality is he is not that guy.

gaudette? Really?  What fear would he strike in a scrum?  Again, not that player.

Roussel is a guy who is not afraid but by reputation he gets penalties for breathing in the wrong direction.

we all want the toughest team but nobody wants the dumbest either.

Really? Watch his whl highlights, he may not fight but he loves to hit and guess what that's all I want to see is hits, also it's not about making the other team fear them, it's showing that the boys won't back down and that's what I want to see. 

I would love a team that strikes first but I think we will he more of a counter back team instead of setting the tone team. 

Whens the last time you saw rooster act like a pest ? 

Thats what he gets paid for isn't it?

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Really? Watch his whl highlights, he may not fight but he loves to hit and guess what that's all I want to see is hits, also it's not about making the other team fear them, it's showing that the boys won't back down and that's what I want to see. 

I would love a team that strikes first but I think we will he more of a counter back team instead of setting the tone team. 

I see him pest it up now and again.  Sure not like his Dallas days.  But I’d wager he’s a better player than back then so it’s best he picks his spots more and takes less penalties. As I said refs call him for a lot less based on reputation.

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Also,  ferland being hurt and sick has detracted from the way this team can play.

jb has built a team to compete with the likes of virt, rouss, Miller, ferland, motte, schaller, bo.

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

JV actually started out his NHL career playing the way he did in the Juniors.

What he didn't know is that in the pro leagues, physical game takes a lot more than just playing physical on the ice. 

Players play by the codes and they have to know the consequences before playing certain ways/ making certain hits. 

In the juniors, he was one of the biggest kids out there so he did whatever he wanted and still did not worry about people getting back at him. 

But in the pro leagues, there are behemoths out there and u have to pay back for ur actions sooner or later. 

And it is not an easy task playing thru season worrying about those. 

Rouss has been around the ages and he cherished playing that game. It was necessary of him to play that game to stay in the NHL. 

He knows well of all the consequences and how he needs to play thru certain stress.

On the other hand, JV entered the league and went thru a pretty tough first season, got some reputations, players/ refs were aware of him out there. 

His recurrent shoulder injury and suspensions he received didnt help his situation as well. 

Plus, he doesnt need to play that game to be successful in the NHL. So he changed his game a bit to first learn the NHL game. 

Many power forwards go thru such adjustments there is nothing wrong.

Once he figures out more and be comfortable in the league, he can bring that element back and be more mentally ready for it. 

This season, he picks his spots to be physical which I like. 

He will continue to develop and noone here knows what kind of player he chooses to reach his full potential. 

Just my two cents. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Borderline Canuck said:

It was a "no hitter".  Did any Canuck get a hit ?  Can't win like that boys.

11 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

Guess this team and Coach Green still couldn't figure out how to beat this big and heavy team....lol..

11 hours ago, Mustapha said:

This was a game where some more inspired play from the grinders would have been nice.

Jay Beagle is underwhelming, and I am being charitable with that assessment.

Secondary scoring needs to happen more often as well.

Let's not sign anymore 30 somethings from former Stanley Cup winning teams, they aren't hungry, they just want a paycheck.

Special teams need to be fixed, they stand around way too much on the PP AND the PK. Get that puck to the net, no need to pass 500 times.

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team has skill and speed, but they have little to no pushback. Pretty tame little team. 

11 hours ago, Borvat said:

Outside of Roussel and Miller on the odd occasion this team is too soft. Motte has the heart but not the bite.

11 hours ago, Dogcrazy said:

Agreed, the whole team is soft, including the captain.  I wonder if it is the players, or the coach.  I tend to think it is the coach, a hard tough coach would not allow his players to be soft in tough situations....

11 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I would add virtanen to that list too. 

11 hours ago, Borvat said:

I think its part of the legacy of this team in recent years combined with the characteristics of the players they look for.  The guys on this team all seem to be genuinely good people.  Turn the other cheek kind of people.  It makes for a good team environment but doesn't always play out well in a contact, physical competitive environment.  You need those guys that take the battle to the other team and answer the bell when required.  Some of the toughest SOB's on the ice were Princes off the ice - Jarome Iginla was one of them.  You need those guys in my opinion to win.    

11 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I agree.

I got flamed for proposing signing Kassian in Ufa

Obviously they would have to make it work contract wise, somehow remove Eriksson or do something.

But we need some angry grit.

11 hours ago, Bo fan said:

For the most I thought we played fairly well

But there seems very little push back - and lack of physicality

And the teams coming up are bigger

It is test time

11 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Honestly i think that's more coaching then Jake cause jake loves to hit and even said so himself and seeing him not back down from reeves kinda showed me a player that is a pest and how much he has grown this season......now the coach on the other hand.....he doesn't give the guys freedom to make hits...

And when guy like rooster isn't hitting or stirring the pot what is he doing? Green should be encouraging this, if he wants to run a style like torts then grow a set.....

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I know. Where is Myers with the physical play? I’d like to see more hits from him. 

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

They tried Torts... it didn't work out.

Team toughness goes beyond just the coaches and players, it's the organization as a whole.  Players need to feel that everyone has their back.  Up from management, to the coaching staff, to the players, etc. 

While the 2011 squad was considered soft, the pre-2011 teams weren't so.  Burrows, Kesler, O'Brien, Hordichuk, Rypien, and Glass were always more than willing to drop the glove or face wash the opposition.... with others like Bernier, Bieksa, Alberts not afraid of mucking it up if need be.  

The current Canucks team.... who is willing to fight if a teammate gets a cheap shot?  Who is more than willing to crash the net to make a point?  JT Miller and probably Anton Roussel.  Motte and Stecher are battlers and will step in when needed... but they're not players that will tip the scale.  JV is a friendly giant most of the time, along with Edler and Myers.  Schaller and Beagle knows what to do... but they are role players.  Ferland is injured and one bad hit from La La Land.  

Unlikely battlers need to step it up when needed.... if Boeser wants players to "protect him", he need to be more than willing to jump into a pile.  Same with Pettersson and especially with Horvat.  

10 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Torts and the Sedins were never going to work....

Torts with this team and that would be a different story cause he would have star players that play both ways and Petey has showed push back already.....

9 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

See the reason I say it wouldn't matter if it was green or Willie is cause their both loyal to grinders and don't really use match ups/just want to roll four lines.

I can see the guys dragging this team to the playoffs just like the team did with willie. 

I've also posted before in pasted threads that i think hiring a former HC to join Green's staff would go a long way but didn't get that welcoming of a response...

i liked green and thought he had the lockeroom but I'm starting to question why he can't fire up his warriors or pest types on a nightly bases.....

So there is a common theme here which has existed for a long time. The "gentlemanly" type play has plagued this team through the Nazzy and Sedin years. 

Before the complaints start about "speed and skill" will win us games I have to remind people that we were beaten in the past by being "bullied" where we had no answer for it. Many examples I am sure many of you will remember. We have been manhandled in a game where "aggression" IS a part of the game even if some try to deny it, including Buttman. Part of a teams skillset should be able to initiate and respond to "aggression". If not, your team is lacking and it will give you a disadvantage. 

I have seen on numerous occasions where we have "aggressive" players on our team start off being aggressive and then stop, for some reason. 

Gudbranson- hit on Hamonic and then nothing after that.

Bo-used to hit, got into A fight, and then nothing after that

Jake- Hit on McDavid and has tapered to almost no hitting in his game.

Motte- used to hit everything that moved, now? He has mellowed this part of his game.

Beagle/Roussel- Both scrummed it up in front of the net, not happening now.

Myers- hitting and roughing up players along the boards, not so much now.

These are just examples off the top of my head I am sure others can think of other examples. 

Some say we had the right coach but wrong players before and some say we have the wrong coach but the right players this time. Gotta love Petey's enthusiasm for a light, young player, he is only going to get better.

IMO, this young team needs to learn how to implement this type of play into their repertoire. This will be even more important in the playoffs. 

Is it the Coach? Is it the players? The way things have gone, I am leaning towards the Coach and Management but maybe its the leadership in the room I don't know, but either way, I hope they figure it out sooner rather then later.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So there is a common theme here which has existed for a long time. The "gentlemanly" type play has plagued this team through the Nazzy and Sedin years. 

Before the complaints start about "speed and skill" will win us games I have to remind people that we were beaten in the past by being "bullied" where we had no answer for it. Many examples I am sure many of you will remember. We have been manhandled in a game where "aggression" IS a part of the game even if some try to deny it, including Buttman. Part of a teams skillset should be able to initiate and respond to "aggression". If not, your team is lacking and it will give you a disadvantage. 

I have seen on numerous occasions where we have "aggressive" players on our team start off being aggressive and then stop, for some reason. 

Gudbranson- hit on Hamonic and then nothing after that.

Bo-used to hit, got into A fight, and then nothing after that

Jake- Hit on McDavid and has tapered to almost no hitting in his game.

Motte- used to hit everything that moved, now? He has mellowed this part of his game.

Beagle/Roussel- Both scrummed it up in front of the net, not happening now.

Myers- hitting and roughing up players along the boards, not so much now.

These are just examples off the top of my head I am sure others can think of other examples. 

Some say we had the right coach but wrong players before and some say we have the wrong coach but the right players this time. Gotta love Petey's enthusiasm for a light, young player, he is only going to get better.

IMO, this young team needs to learn how to implement this type of play into their repertoire. This will be even more important in the playoffs. 

Is it the Coach? Is it the players? The way things have gone, I am leaning towards the Coach and Management but maybe its the leadership in the room I don't know, but either way, I hope they figure it out sooner rather then later.

We lost because our accuracy was a little off not because of a lack of aggression.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Jake may love to hit, but if he won't stand up for himself when his victim comes back fighting mad, he'll get a reputation: think M.Tkturtle.  The NHL may baby those types, but the players and fans have little respect for them.

I agree that Jake is being more selective when he makes a hit and if he wants to avoid fighting, he will have to continue along those lines.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I see him pest it up now and again.  Sure not like his Dallas days.  But I’d wager he’s a better player than back then so it’s best he picks his spots more and takes less penalties. As I said refs call him for a lot less based on reputation.

If he brought that pest skill more we would see players follow suit, usually when rooster does play like a pest that line comes alive and is one of our best. 

58 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Also,  ferland being hurt and sick has detracted from the way this team can play.

jb has built a team to compete with the likes of virt, rouss, Miller, ferland, motte, schaller, bo.

Jim has always bought guys like that in though since day one, DD , Prust and Gubby to name a couple and Wilkie and green both strike me as nice guys but I want a mean team, look at the mean teams around the league , they have coaches That embody that style, if you want your players to play with fire then the coach needs to coach that way behind the bench. Look at the Knights,kings and blue jackets to name a few. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

That sucks man. You need some vitamin :canucks:, or B maybe. 

That's playoff hockey which you apparently yearn for but can't see it. Hmmm. I don't know what pace of hockey you like but it doesn't get much better. 

Maybe smashing people in the face?

Honestly I'm not trying to criticize just wondering how you couldn't see what I saw?

Hockey at it's best.

That was hockey at its best? 

Seriously? 

And, playoff hockey, that?

You’ve lost the plot, bud, that or you have exceeding low expectations and experience, if I’m being honest. (Lots of young people on here, I never know who is responding...)

I doubt you even realize the straw man argument you’ve used, placed in italics.

Look it up. Textbook example here. I’m not being facetious, it is what it is. Be better. 

It would be a more enjoyable experience for all if you/all were to construct your argument without the deployment this common faux pas and intellectually deficient tactic. 

Its becoming increasingly more difficult to take this place seriously with comments like those, no offence intended either, but it’s part of the culture here now, I get it; it’s a “fan” site. 

Feel free to disagree with my comments, it doesn’t matter much unless they are directed at the person, when it’s not worth a response. (Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t be a good idea to have to have a posters age beside their posts on here)

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 2

There needs to be more hits from everyone.   Not necessarily bone crushing hits but enough to be noticeable.  It makes the other players slow their game down a bit and keep them honest. 

Plus bone crushing hits gets players off their game.  Cuz sometimes they're looking for a revenge hit instead of making the good hockey play.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1