The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vegas Golden Knights. Gerard Gallant fired

Rate this topic

redhdlois

Well, didn't take long for a new coach.  I'm sure they were in talks with DeBoer before Gallant got canned.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/sharks/golden-knights-hire-peter-deboer-head-coach-fire-gerard-gallant 

The Vegas Golden Knights announced that coach Gerrard Gallant and assistant Mike Kelly have been relieved of their duties, and former Sharks coach Peter DeBoer has been named to the top spot.

NEWS

The Golden Knights have made the following coaching changes:

Gerard Gallant & Mike Kelly have been relieved of their coaching duties

Peter DeBoer has been named head coachhttps://t.co/rQsULKgYzR

— Vegas Golden Knights (@GoldenKnights) January 15, 2020

"In order for our team to reach its full potential, we determined a coaching change was necessary," Golden Knights general manager Kelly McCrimmon said in a statement. "Our team is capable of more than we have demonstrated this season. We would like to thank Gerard and Mike for their service to the Vegas Golden Knights. They were both instrumental to the success we have enjoyed in our first two-plus seasons and we wish them all the best moving forward.

"In Peter DeBoer, we have a proven, experienced head coach who we believe can help us achieve our ultimate goal. We are excited to welcome Peter and his family to the Vegas Golden Knights organization. We look forward to a strong finish to the 2019-20 season with Peter at the helm and a successful tenure in the seasons to come."

DeBoer was fired by the Sharks on Dec. 12 after a rough start, leaving players shocked and stunned.

The move to fire Gallant comes amid a four-game losing streak for the Golden Knights that currently has them sitting on the outside of the playoff picture looking in. Gallant has coached the Golden Knights since the franchise's inaugural season, leading them to the Stanley Cup Final in their first season and winning the Jack Adams Award as NHL Coach of the Year. He is replaced by a man he once called a "clown."

The Sharks elected to let DeBoer go after the Sharks opened the season 15-16-2. The final straw was a four-game road trip that saw San Jose go 0-3-1, signaling to general manager Doug Wilson that it was time for a change in the locker room. 

In four-plus seasons leading the Sharks, DeBoer accumulated a 198-129-34 record while leading San Jose to four straight playoff appearances.

DeBoer goes from one side of the heated Western Conference rivalry to the other. The Sharks and Golden Knights have met in playoffs in each of the past two seasons. Vegas knocked off DeBoer's Sharks in the 2018 Western Conference second round, while San Jose won an epic seven-game first-round series last year. DeBoer getting the Golden Knights job adds another wrinkle into what has been a heated and contentious rivalry.

Edited by Bocivus

12 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

DeBoer as a tactician?  Will he get more out of Vegas than Gallant?? I gues we will find out. But I dont think so.

I dont see them as strong enough down the middle.  Thats where they get exposed.  I also believed they overachieve with their D. Who strikes fear in opposing coaches among their D?  

More than the D, I dont think they are good enough down the middle! Karlsson was never more than a 3C until Gallant got ahold of him. But speaking of fear? He does not strike fear in me as a first line pivot. To me he is a v good 2knd line pivot. Stastny was ok as a 2knd line centre, but is really 3rd line material at this stage. But, as you said, they used to have that suffocating 3rd and 4th line? Which is not his game. I think they are doing well to make use of Chandler Stephenson as a 3C. Eakin has both been injured, and a dissapointment this year.  But he is just 28, probably too banged up. He was a part of that suffocating bottom 6. Glass is stuck for minutes, because he is the classic must score and be in the top 6 guy. But not ready in the eyes of the coach.  Or he would have minutes being given to Stastny & Karlsson if he was ready.

The problem with Vegas is they overcommitted to some otherwise great wingers.  Stone & Patches.

But who builds a team around wingers, not pivots or D? 

Mid-December beat writer Granger was pointing out how little production they were getting out of their top-3 Cs - he had only Columbus, NJD and Detroit below Vegas.

Scott Burnside said he was telling a long time NHL coach that maybe it was the shake up they needed to get out of their lethargy and go on a run. That coach disagreed:  "In fact, he said there was zero chance this team wins a Cup as it’s currently constituted, pointing out a glaring need for right-hand help on the blue line."

The roster is flawed but they are also not performing to expectations.  Burnside used the word lethargy but he's not the only observer pointing out their inconsistent play this season.

Earlier this month Gallant was calling their 1st period starts embarrassing.  It has continued and DeBoer was available.

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Mid-December beat writer Granger was pointing out how little production they were getting out of their top-3 Cs - he had only Columbus, NJD and Detroit below Vegas.

Scott Burnside said he was telling a long time NHL coach that maybe it was the shake up they needed to get out of their lethargy and go on a run. That coach disagreed:  "In fact, he said there was zero chance this team wins a Cup as it’s currently constituted, pointing out a glaring need for right-hand help on the blue line."

The roster is flawed but they are also not performing to expectations.  Burnside used the word lethargy but he's not the only observer pointing out their inconsistent play this season.

Earlier this month Gallant was calling their 1st period starts embarrassing.  It has continued and DeBoer was available.

And now Gallant is available.  JB needs to make the change; we are way underperforming.

• Wat 2

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And now Gallant is available.  JB needs to make the change; we are way underperforming.

Benning isn’t going to fire Green. Green has the Canucks smack dab in the middle of a playoff race. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So did Gallant with Vegas.  

The Knights are 2 years removed from a SCF appearance with an even better roster than they had during that run and are underperforming. Their management group probably figured they needed to shake things up. The Canucks have been arguably the worst team in the league for 4 years and are finally starting to make strides. They are in total different scenarios. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, ey40 said:

His situation is not "leaving his job for a lower wage job", he was fired and I am pretty sure he will consider all the possibilities. Using your example if you are fired from your job and there is another lower-wage job making you an offer, would you accept it?

No, I Have a buffer saved away and the skills to get an equal or better paying job. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

wasthere something about gallant as part of the hockey players mee too movement? if not, then that team is now a clown show

Reports say that he is very well liked and respected by his players.  Many are pointing out the slow starts and inconsistent play - Vegas has been underperforming and players have been owning up to it.

From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

3. [...] From what I understood about Gallant’s contract, it became guaranteed for a fourth season when they reached the final. Next year is year four, and the craziest thing about all of this is that the Golden Knights were talking about an extension with him. Instead, he’s out.

4. Like DeBoer and Hynes, who were each unemployed fewer than 40 days, Gallant will have his suitors. Seattle, for one. Jim Nill pursued him hard in Dallas, although Rick Bowness has Dallas going strong — the Stars finished a season sweep of Colorado on Tuesday night. Gallant’s got a long history with Steve Yzerman, too, but there’s no predicting what he’ll do. (There are mixed reviews on his French.) Bottom line is, people respect his work. That’s two Bizarro World firings for him.

5. That’s the seventh coach firing of the season. The record is 11. What an insane year.

I am wondering if either - Gallant lost the room or he and McCrimmon got into a pi**ing match and there was a division in leadership. 

I still find it odd that the Assistant Coach was canned at the same time.  Unless DeBoer stipulated he wanted his own guy.

Their roster is built to win in the next couple/few years.  Although they do still have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 drafts.  

Bettman  :picard:

13 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I am wondering if either - Gallant lost the room or he and McCrimmon got into a pi**ing match and there was a division in leadership. 

I still find it odd that the Assistant Coach was canned at the same time.  Unless DeBoer stipulated he wanted his own guy.

Their roster is built to win in the next couple/few years.  Although they do still have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 drafts.  

Bettman  :picard:

Mike Kelly came to Vegas with Gallant from the Florida Panthers.  Nashville also fired Laviolette's long time assistant McCarthy.  It's not that unusual.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The coaching staff we currently have is weak. Green is the de facto scapegoat goat cause he’s the head coach. I am convinced his support coaches ie. Nolan & Newel (dumb & dumber) have reached their best before dates. they need to be upgraded asap. These two guys are not helping us head in the right direction. 

You've made my day, thank you.

Our static PP and our passive defensive system are the two toughest things to watch.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, Qwags said:

This feels like a move CDC would make after a 3 game losing streak.

I don't understand this move. Seems way too aggressive.

Who knew it could be so easy?  I checked the Knights HF Boards, but Knight fans are just as shocked as the rest of the hockey world. So I guess we don't have the say we think we do.  :(

But seriously, I don't buy their public excuse. Basically saying it was done on a whim.  Which is whack. I agree with Surfer, there was probably some unresolved disagreement between McCrimmon and Gallant.  McCrimmon pulled his GM card out to shut him up.  I think it was a mistake, but we'll see.  So far its worked out pretty well for Toronto and Calgary.

9 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Who knew it could be so easy?  I checked the Knights HF Boards, but Knight fans are just as shocked as the rest of the hockey world. So I guess we don't have the say we think we do.  :(

But seriously, I don't buy their public excuse. Basically saying it was done on a whim.  Which is whack. I agree with Surfer, there was probably some unresolved disagreement between McCrimmon and Gallant.  McCrimmon pulled his GM card out to shut him up.  I think it was a mistake, but we'll see.  So far its worked out pretty well for Toronto and Calgary.

McCrimmon said it wasn't done on a whim.  The team has been underachieving this season.  This was Gallant before getting fired - the team wasn't playing to expectations.

Edited by mll

35 minutes ago, mll said:

McCrimmon said it wasn't done on a whim.  The team has been underachieving this season.  This was Gallant before getting fired - the team wasn't playing to expectations.

OMG!!! Gallant is not pleased they lost three games.  Then four losses in a row!!  

First year SCF

Second year (arguably) robbed of another appearance there.

This season spent most of it atop of the Pacific.

But they lose 4 games, and its "performance based"?  lol

"As a manager, sometimes you have a feeling that something isn't the way you need it to be or want it to be. We feel we've underperformed a little bit, and that's not to pile at the foot of Mike and Gerard but sometimes you feel a change is needed." -McCrimmon

Sounds like a whim to me.

I hope it bites them in the butt. And they lose 5 more in row instead of winning them.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, kilgore said:

OMG!!! Gallant is not pleased they lost three games.  Then four losses in a row!!  

First year SCF

Second year (arguably) robbed of another appearance there.

This season spent most of it atop of the Pacific.

But they lose 4 games, and its "performance based"?  lol

"As a manager, sometimes you have a feeling that something isn't the way you need it to be or want it to be. We feel we've underperformed a little bit, and that's not to pile at the foot of Mike and Gerard but sometimes you feel a change is needed." -McCrimmon

Sounds like a whim to me.

I hope it bites them in the butt. And they lose 5 more in row instead of winning them.

Gallant had quotes like those all through the season.  Players themselves were saying they have been underperforming.