so even though it has looked stale all year in your view

it is still top 10 in the league

not bad for such an eyesore troupe of players

damn

maybe if they moved better

and were more attractive

but were 15th in the league in play

you'd be happier ?

I'd be happy if they didn't look like all stars against garbage units and not look AHL at best against mediocre and better PK’s... 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'd be happy if they didn't look like all stars against garbage units and not look AHL at best against mediocre and better PK’s... 

they will improve

give them a couple of years of seasoning

they are already pretty damn good

despite seemingly an eyesore to some

Edited by coastal.view

Just now, coastal.view said:

they will improve

give them a couple of years of seasoning

they are already pretty damn good

despite seemingly an eyesore to some

I don't think Newell is a bad coach he's just a bad fit imo. Despite the smoke and mirror “success.”

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't think Newell is a bad coach he's just a bad fit imo. Despite the smoke and mirror “success.”

ok then

smoke and mirrors?

whatever makes you happy

hughes - 1/2 season of experiene

ep40 - 1.5 seasons of experience

brock - 2.5 season of experience

the core of the #1 pp unit has 4.5 years total nhl experience

i'm gonna cut them a little more slack then you

and not expect a coach to make them look

like seasoned veterans already

learning takes time.. i'll give them some

and be happy they already are #6 ranked in the league

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

ok then

smoke and mirrors?

whatever makes you happy

hughes - 1/2 season of experiene

ep40 - 1.5 seasons of experience

brock - 2.5 season of experience

the core of the #1 pp unit has 4.5 years total nhl experience

i'm gonna cut them a little more slack then you

and not expect a coach to make them look

like seasoned veterans already

learning takes time.. i'll give them some

and be happy they already are #6 ranked in the league

Didn't know 3 players make a PP. 

Sure learning takes time but, I can also believe the current PP coach is not a fit for the personnel we have available. I'll leave it at that and agree to disagree. 

• Cheers 1

Hire him as an assistance coach (Bye Baumgartner/Brown).

They tried to pull a St-Louis last year - fired their coach in the middle of season and then went on to win the Stanley Cup. Well, I hope the exact opposite happens and puts this franchise into a miserable place in the future for a long long time!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

I think it’s a no brainer to bring on Gallant to round out the coaching staff. Nolan is too inexperienced and Brown can’t seem to use the vast amount of skill we have on the pp appropriately.

Gallant is not an x’s and o’s Guy.  He’s a head coach, organizer, and motivator guy.  He’s not really an assistant.  If he comes here it’s for Green.  

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just because you get fired doesn't mean you're a bad coach though. Quenneville got fired and he's a great coach. 

I want Newell and Baumer fired and they're both good coaches, I just don't see them as a fit here. Vegas felt they needed a new voice not that Gallant was a bad coach. There is a difference. 

Now doubt the Knights look different this year. I used to marvel at how they came at you in waves upon waves. Relentless through all four lines. To me that looks and smells of complacency. I agree that it isn't that Gallant forgot how to coach, or is a bad coach. The GM must of felt it was a new voice needed, or a doomed season. Seems to be the way it works now in the NHL. Just wow though. A coach into his third year, .601 winning average, finals appearance, Jack Adams..... fired. Wow. 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, ey40 said:

Hire him as an assistance coach (Bye Baumgartner/Brown).

They tried to pull a St-Louis last year - fired their coach in the middle of season and then went on to win the Stanley Cup. Well, I hope the exact opposite happens and puts this franchise into a miserable place in the future for a long long time!

17 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

I think it’s a no brainer to bring on Gallant to round out the coaching staff. Nolan is too inexperienced and Brown can’t seem to use the vast amount of skill we have on the pp appropriately.

Not sure why you guys think he'd take an assistant coach job. Laughable at best. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Imagine the phone call.

"Sorry Gerard, I'm letting you go. I just have a feeling it's the right thing to do."

It's as if he got a fortune cookie that said to fire the coach.

Their 1st year Vegas used to suffocate teams with their speed and how they would never let up.  It was relentless 4 lines all the time.  Not this season.  It's a veteran team that had a lot of ambition coming into the season and they are caught being average. 

The firing is somewhat shocking because they are still in the race but average doesn't win you a Cup.  If they felt not much was going to change why wait it out.  DeBoer is a very good coach too and who knows how long he remains available. 

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not sure why you guys think he'd take an assistant coach job. Laughable at best. 

This. Take a look around at current assistants that were head coaches. Mostly has beens, or coaches who have had their runs and failed. Gallant has a very successfull and most important recent resume. He won't last the summer if he wants a head coach job. I suppose there is always a chance he wants an assistant gig, but I highly doubt it. 

• Cheers 1

Shocking from my viewpoint.

I did not see Vegas as being deployed poorly or playing a style unsuited to them. If anything, they overachieved during his tenure. And were not horribly behind this year,

Considering how rudely he was dumpled in Florida? I have theory is he may be a hard ass in dealing with upper management.

It may have become easy to dump him when you have a 4 or 5 game slump.

But I suspect it was not purely about performance. 

They were just more PC about it than Florida.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's stagnant and NOTHING has been done to fix it. It's been cold far more often than hot. The ranking is very flattering to what is actually happening on the ice. 

the ranking is based on actual numbers, it's not some arbitrary ranking system.  Young players are streaky, they are on fire or they are ice cold, that's almost always how it works.  They tweak their PP set up all the time........switch players from off wng to strong side, Miller in front or sometimes on the half wall, Bo down low or sometimes as the hinge up high.  They do a solid job of setting up and moving the puck around, the set up isn't the problem, it's young players looking for the absolute perfect pass instead of putting pucks on net........that's on them, not the person who develops the systems.

Soon enough they'll get hot again and pucks will start going in and people will forget all about the "horrid, stale powerplay".

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

the ranking is based on actual numbers, it's not some arbitrary ranking system.  Young players are streaky, they are on fire or they are ice cold, that's almost always how it works.  They tweak their PP set up all the time........switch players from off wng to strong side, Miller in front or sometimes on the half wall, Bo down low or sometimes as the hinge up high.  They do a solid job of setting up and moving the puck around, the set up isn't the problem, it's young players looking for the absolute perfect pass instead of putting pucks on net........that's on them, not the person who develops the systems.

Soon enough they'll get hot again and pucks will start going in and people will forget all about the "horrid, stale powerplay".

Switching players positions =/= actual movement on the ice. Something that has lacked all season. Again the numbers are skewed by a few good games against horrendous PP. this conversation is going nowhere so I will agree to disagree. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Switching players positions =/= actual movement on the ice. Something that has lacked all season. Again the numbers are skewed by a few good games against horrendous PP. this conversation is going nowhere so I will agree to disagree. 

it's pretty hard to argue an awful "smoke and mirrors" powerplay when it's been a top 10 PP all season.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's pretty hard to argue an awful "smoke and mirrors" powerplay when it's been a top 10 PP all season.

Whatever you say. Again feasted on garbage teams and crickets with good teams. Smoke and mirrors. 

Edited by canuck73_3

49 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Shocking from my viewpoint.

I did not see Vegas as being deployed poorly or playing a style unsuited to them. If anything, they overachieved during his tenure. And were not horribly behind this year,

Considering how rudely he was dumpled in Florida? I have theory is he may be a hard ass in dealing with upper management.

It may have become easy to dump him when you have a 4 or 5 game slump.

But I suspect it was not purely about performance. 

They were just more PC about it than Florida.

And now they replaced him with a guy who is a hard ass in dealing with his players.  Don’t see this ending well and from a Canucks point of view that makes me happy.  Let the competition shoot themselves in the foot.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2