The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vegas Golden Knights. Gerard Gallant fired

Rate this topic

redhdlois

11 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

I think someone else mentioned it earlier, but I would bring him in to the organization in some capacity. Leave Greener as the head for now and evaluate after the season, but maybe bring him on as an Assistant. Not sure if he could run the D but I'm not crazy about Nolan.

Shocked Vegas let him go tho.

That's a great idea I wish I would have thought of bringing in a former HC to come help Green......:bigblush:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

I think someone else mentioned it earlier, but I would bring him in to the organization in some capacity. Leave Greener as the head for now and evaluate after the season, but maybe bring him on as an Assistant. Not sure if he could run the D but I'm not crazy about Nolan.

Shocked Vegas let him go tho.

Pretty sure Gallant will find work as a head coach easily.  I doubt he quickly settle for anything less than that for now.  Maybe if he hasn't been hired before the next season starts, then he'll start considering alternatives.

• Cheers 1

I have never been a fan of Green, but I don't think tossing him right now is a good move.  Might take a while to adjust to a new coach and we can't have that right now.  I don't really care what we do in the playoffs, but I think it is important that our core gets a taste of it this year.

My projection of Green's tenure in Vancouver is the following:

- Canucks barely makes the playoff and gets eliminated in the first round.  Canucks start the 2020-21 season with a losing record and Green is canned by the end of November.

or

-Canucks makes the playoffs, gets home ice advantages but still loses easily in 4-5 games.  Green gets canned after the playoffs.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

2015/16 team was much better than we are now. Then their GM got the analytics bug and moved out some good pieces and blamed the coach. 

Objectively speaking that Panthers roster was better than ours all around. 

15/16 was a good team for sure that Gallant did get into the playoffs. Regardless, I'm not even advocating for Gallant replacing Green. More a hope that JB isn't blindly getting behind Green and not looking at other options when they become available. Gallants playoff experience alone would be a big plus. I give Green the year and see what he does with this young roster. Make or break playoffs aren't even a deal breaker for me. More an eye test evaluation of how the team, and Green, performs once the season narrows down and playoff spots are on the line. 

45 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Do you think Gallant goes for an assistant job? There are likely other teams going after him, and the Seattle position waiting.

Who knows? Possibly after being unceremoniously canned from two head coaching gigs, he might be apt to taking a lower profile role for a spell. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Who knows? Possibly after being unceremoniously canned from two head coaching gigs, he might be apt to taking a lower profile role for a spell. 

We’d take a long break on the money made.  Are those NHL coaches wired like that though?  

Just now, peaches5 said:

Vegas should have went to the cup back to back if the refs didn't screw them. They are well coached and he gets a lot out of some aging players. Very odd firing. 

100%.

This might be the worst case of "What have to done for me lately?" that I've ever seen....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It blows me away that people can't wrap their head around this simple concept. There were the same calls when Babs was let go...

HCs don't jump into assistant jobs immediately after being fired. Even after being blackballed, Ted Nolan didn't go that route. Further to that, you don't put that kind of pressure on your current HC. If you don't think he's doing the job, you fire him and bring in the other guy. You don't leave him in a position where he feels like he's coaching every game to keep his job.

That’s the reality though. Green should be feeling the pressure where he feels like every game could be his last. 

• Wat 1