The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Habs & Canes, Humongous(Proposal)

Few days back, saw a journo suggest Price to 'Canes. Interesting..guy deserves a shot with a decent outfit. So here's a variation I dreamt up:

Habs: Price(retain 2 mill, x 6 yrs), Brendan Gallagher, some AHL depth D-man  outgoing cap-hit: about 12.25 mill, this yr & next

Canes:Reimer, Niederreiter, Edmundson, Martin Necas, TML 1st, cond 2020 2nd(if Canes make final-4, becomes 2020 1st, provided Price plays 75% of tilts)

outgoing cap hit: 12.6 mill

********It's a Habs Rebuild********* & it's high-time. Here they could potentially add two 1st rounders to this strong, Mtl-hosted 2020 Draft

Edmundson off books in 3 mos; Reimer in summer 2021. He's a meh 'tender(good for tanking), but a good bloke, who'd help a young group.

After this, they'd pkg Weber to Winterpeg or Edmunchuk. Two locations that can't attract many UFA's. They'd like a respected vet w/term.

Lastly, pkg Bergevin to Vladivostok for an old Fishin' boat. This one's key.

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

That is far too much for those two guys. Not to mention Carolina doesn’t need goaltending. 

Tbh, don't watch them too often. But I'm skeptical that Mrazek can deliver the straight goods in Spring.

I think they could handle a GT hit of 8.5 mill. Aho is relatively affordable. Also Gallagher is a 2 yr bargain.

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you're sceptical that Mrazek can deliver...why do you think Carey "groins gone" Price can?

If anything try to sell them Weber AND Price, but they don't need Price to my knowledge.

Their D seems pretty solid & reasonably young. Canes have had questionable 'tending for many a yr.

I'd guess taking both vets is just too risky for a GM

Stopped reading at Gallagher.  There is zero chance Montreal trades their 26 year old 30 goal heart and soul fan favourite.  He’s the kind of guy you keep. Even in a rebuild. Beyond that. Betgevin was interviewed this week and definitively stated he will not trade Weber or Price (as opposed to when he said he wasn’t shopping Subban. Huge difference in the language used) 

Edited by qwijibo

Just now, coastal.view said:

when is this deal happening ?

has it been confirmed yet ?

waiting.................

This open to interpretation?

Not too many folks on here accurately PREDICT deals beforehand. But I'd assumed we all kick these things around, to throw in the ol' 2 cents, & also get insight on player-valuations?

8 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Any deal that trades away Gallagher does NOT benefit Montreal. 

He's a great player, agreed. Prob has to tone it down though, after that knee to the noggin. It's sad they expect a tough lil' dwarf like BG to carry a smallish team on his aching back!

Then in 15 mos they'll have to pay him serious coin. It's about when to sell.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He's a great player, agreed. Prob has to tone it down though, after that knee to the noggin. It's sad they expect a tough lil' dwarf like BG to carry a smallish team on his aching back!

Then in 15 mos they'll have to pay him serious coin. It's about when to sell.

Just don’t bother with qwijibo, he won’t hear literally any proposal involving Montreal. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pears said:

Just don’t bother with qwijibo, he won’t hear literally any proposal involving Montreal. 

It’s not reasonable. Retain $2m for 6 years. Send out your starter for a crap backup, send out a young 30 goal top line player who is the heart and soul of the team to get back an older layer who’s best season was 5 years ago and still doesn’t compare to Gallagher.    Get back a couple other spare parts and one late 1st round pick that is a crap shoot at best.  Yes. Price is over paid.  But when he’s on he’s still one of the best.  And if you retain $2m on him you still need to pay an actual starter somewhere I. The neighborhood of $5/$6m dollars (minimum). So you’re back up to at least $7m on your starter Including the retention on Price). So you’ve MAYBE saved $3m cap space. Price’s contract is not an issue right now. They’ve been operating with surplus cap space. But since you need to go to free agency to get a goalie you’re likely paying more.  

Montreal, despite their record, is not as bad as their record.  They had a 96 point season last year, during their losing streak they were missing 3 of their to 6 player (4 of their to 9) plus one of their top 4 D.  This season is lost. But a few tweaks over the summer and add  a couple of their promising young players and they should be back in the picture. 

This proposal in no way benefits Montreal. It cripples them.  They send out the best player (by a large margin) and get back a handful of magic beans and a goalie that is, at best, a serviceable backup. Oh. And it also takes Montreal to the 50 contract limit. So it handcuffs them on other trades. But by all means. Pay no attention.

Edited by qwijibo