The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Sestito claims Kellan Lain was the reason for the Flames/Canucks brawl

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

Hope it was worth it, you're now blackballed in the NHL Bob.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/04/report-bob-hartley-facing-4-year-doping.html

According to a report from Alvis Kalnins of Hockey Buzz, former Calgary Flames and current Avangard Omsk head coach Bob Hartley may be facing a 4-year doping ban from the KHL.

And this guy won a cup?  What a clown.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Great share. I'll always have a soft spot for Top Sixtito... he was all guts and glory for us.

Stood up for his team mates... my only regret is that he didn't knock out Jordan Nolan for the season when he went after Daniel or maybe it was Henrik

• Cheers 3

58 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think it's fair to say that everyone who watched the January 18th, 2014 game against the Flames, which started with a line brawl, was left wondering "what the &^@# brought that on!?"

In an interview with Dan Murphy, Tom Sestito claims that having Kellan Lain in the line-up was the catalyst for the brawl:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/murphys-mailbag-canucks-better-defensively-sutter-ferland/

I have no idea if Sestito's version of events is accurate but there you go. 

Memory can be a tricky thing when you chuck knuckles for a living,,,

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Great share. I'll always have a soft spot for Top Sixtito... he was all guts and glory for us.

Stood up for his team mates... my only regret is that he didn't knock out Jordan Nolan for the season when he went after Daniel or maybe it was Henrik

I don't know if many remember, but he had hands too. And he showed them off a couple of times. 

48 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I didn't know that Murph was doing blogs/articles now. Pretty great idea given his access to the team for so long and the fact that guys seem to like him. 

EDIT:

But maybe he is actually not a very good journalist... didn't take me long to find out what happened:

XwntXJE.png

In that game, it looks like Lain responded to Blair Jones boarding a guy... so Lain didn't run anyone. Lain might have beat on Jones, but Jones was hardly a touted prospect. 6'3 215 and drafted in the 4th round in 2005 (8 years before the game in question... hardly even a prospect). 

Here's the fight:

And Jones was in the Calgary lineup the night in question:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201401180VAN.html 

In fact, he was involved in one of the fights at the beginning of the game. Fought Dale Weise:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cgy-vs-van/2014/01/18/2013020735#game=2013020735,game_state=final

Well Murph does mention that penalty I believe. I think he just doesn't want to seem adamant that it's what started everything, especially given that Sestito said that he "took one of their guys out."

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

The more I hear about Torts, the more I like him.  But Torts time in VAN was the beginning of the end really

Also, TG all the way

the finals against Boston was the beginning of the end.

followed by 2 first round exits

AV firing

signing the sedins for way too long + many NMC NTC contracts

Torts was brought in to shake up the "Country Club ' atmosphere

He did that and went a little overboard

Sestito was right though, the Torts firing followed by Wonki'es hiring killed Sestito's time in vancouver

Edited by lmm
  • Upvote 2