The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Sestito claims Kellan Lain was the reason for the Flames/Canucks brawl

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

So Shane O'Brien says that nobody hardly talked to him for the whole season he was with Calgary.

Shows you the losers they had (and continue to have) in that organization 

I think Shane O is not the best at communicating what he’s saying very clearly.  I heard the interview too, and (IMO) he meant very few players talked with their coach, Bob Hartley. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Shane O is not the best at communicating what he’s saying very clearly.  I heard the interview too, and (IMO) he meant very few players talked with their coach, Bob Hartley. 

Ya and Hartley is clearly a clown. Wont be seeing him back in the bigs. I doubt it anyway 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

I didn't know that Murph was doing blogs/articles now. Pretty great idea given his access to the team for so long and the fact that guys seem to like him. 

EDIT:

But maybe he is actually not a very good journalist... didn't take me long to find out what happened:

XwntXJE.png

In that game, it looks like Lain responded to Blair Jones boarding a guy... so Lain didn't run anyone. Lain might have beat on Jones, but Jones was hardly a touted prospect. 6'3 215 and drafted in the 4th round in 2005 (8 years before the game in question... hardly even a prospect). 

Here's the fight:

And Jones was in the Calgary lineup the night in question:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201401180VAN.html 

In fact, he was involved in one of the fights at the beginning of the game. Fought Dale Weise:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cgy-vs-van/2014/01/18/2013020735#game=2013020735,game_state=final

Murph's relaying what Sestito said. He mentions all of this further down of how it conflicts with the evidence and other stories, and how it would be nice to get the story from Lain.

"(Murphy: Since I had never heard about Lain being the reason for the line brawl, I did a little digging. Lain was no wilting flower. He had 129 PIMs in 63 AHL games that season. The Utica Comets did play the Abbotsford Heat four times early in the 2013-2014 season, prior to Lain’s call up with Vancouver.

October 30, 2013 in Utica: Lain got 2-5-10 for instigating a fight with Blair Jones, who just so happens to be one of the guys who was involved in the line brawl at Rogers Arena. Two nights later Lain was assessed a roughing penalty against the Heat. And then on November 30 in Abbotsford, Lain is listed as taking a slashing penalty. Obviously whatever he did may not have drawn a penalty, but those are the calls against him in the season series with the Heat.

I asked Kevin Bieksa if he had heard the Lain angle and Bieksa said no. He just remembers Tortorella coming into the room saying the Flames were starting their fourth line so the Canucks couldn’t match with the Sedin line. I reached out to Shane O’Brien, who was a member of the Flames that night and he doesn’t remember Hartley mentioning Lain. But he added that no one hardly ever talked to him in Calgary that whole year. Sestito is adamant, though, saying he is nearly 100 per cent certain about his recollection about the Lain tidbit.

If so, then it stands to reason Hartley started his fourth line in the hopes that the Canucks would do the same. Coaches are almost always aware of the opposition’s lines. So odds are Hartley knew Lain was centreing Vancouver’s fourth line that night.

I’ve never been able to get in touch with Lain. It would be nice to see if he could shine some light on the subject. That’s as far as my investigative journalism goes.)"

Murph is the goat.

• Haha 1

so basically the brawl started because the Lames organization was still butt hurt that their bust prospect got beat up in the AHL by Lain?

that just goes to show you how pathetic that franchise is. they hold grudges, they hate the Canucks because we are more popular, they HATE our city because we're Vancouver. inferiority complex runs deep in that organization that's over shadowed by the Oilers and Canucks.

ruined Lain's NHL debut (who only had 9 in his career) for some petty thing that happened in the AHL. 

now the irony is that same franchise is defending the Rat and Eric Francis saying that he doesn't have to fight Kassian because of some 'code'... 

the code only applies if they are wronged but not the other way around.  I hate the Lames so damn much. 

9 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Murph's relaying what Sestito said. He mentions all of this further down of how it conflicts with the evidence and other stories, and how it would be nice to get the story from Lain.

"(Murphy: Since I had never heard about Lain being the reason for the line brawl, I did a little digging. Lain was no wilting flower. He had 129 PIMs in 63 AHL games that season. The Utica Comets did play the Abbotsford Heat four times early in the 2013-2014 season, prior to Lain’s call up with Vancouver.

October 30, 2013 in Utica: Lain got 2-5-10 for instigating a fight with Blair Jones, who just so happens to be one of the guys who was involved in the line brawl at Rogers Arena. Two nights later Lain was assessed a roughing penalty against the Heat. And then on November 30 in Abbotsford, Lain is listed as taking a slashing penalty. Obviously whatever he did may not have drawn a penalty, but those are the calls against him in the season series with the Heat.

I asked Kevin Bieksa if he had heard the Lain angle and Bieksa said no. He just remembers Tortorella coming into the room saying the Flames were starting their fourth line so the Canucks couldn’t match with the Sedin line. I reached out to Shane O’Brien, who was a member of the Flames that night and he doesn’t remember Hartley mentioning Lain. But he added that no one hardly ever talked to him in Calgary that whole year. Sestito is adamant, though, saying he is nearly 100 per cent certain about his recollection about the Lain tidbit.

If so, then it stands to reason Hartley started his fourth line in the hopes that the Canucks would do the same. Coaches are almost always aware of the opposition’s lines. So odds are Hartley knew Lain was centreing Vancouver’s fourth line that night.

I’ve never been able to get in touch with Lain. It would be nice to see if he could shine some light on the subject. That’s as far as my investigative journalism goes.)"

Murph is the goat.

Not saying Murph was wrong (love Murph), only that there was some more context that was available. Lain jumped and fought a guy in the AHL (rightfully, IMO, it was a direty hit by Jones) that was then in the starting lineup for the Flames. Jones might have wanted retribution against Lain, but ultimately Lain pummeled Jones for a dirty hit.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Torts was brutally honest, even though not as committed to us as he should have been.  Our core was old and stale.  

that is poppycock

torts did say that

yet previously that same season supported resigning the sedins

he was specifically asked about the sedins

and told management to resign them

they were signed to 4 x 7 million each

only when he was not able to deliver a winning team

and things went bad after xmas

and into the spring. he suddenly became "brutally honest" ???

really????

you accept that as valid ?

give me a break

he was passing the buck at the point

those comments proved to be true

but torts ensured the team was saddled with nmc and 4 more years of old sedins

when management/ownership was clearly on the fence about resigning them

explain that please

Edited by coastal.view

19 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

that is poppycock

torts did say that

yet previously that same season supported resigning the sedins

he was specifically asked about the sedins

and told management to resign them

they were signed to 4 x 7 million each

only when he was not able to deliver a winning team

and things went bad after xmas

and into the spring. he suddenly became "brutally honest" ???

really????

you accept that as valid ?

give me a break

he was passing the buck at the point

those comments proved to be true

but torts ensured the team was saddled with nmc and 4 more years of old sedins

when management/ownership was clearly on the fence about resigning them

explain that please

Torts did state our core was old and stale.  He added it was a young man’s game.  Go look it up.  It’s fact. 

And I prefer Cracker Jacks.  Poppy Cock is for LOSER LEAFS FANS. 

Edited by Alflives

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Torts did state our core was old and stale.  He added it was a young man’s game.  Go look it up.  It’s fact. 

i never disputed whether he said it or not

show me where i disputed this

(i went back and highlighted a statement for you i the original post so you can't miss it)

i simply provided context and timing

and implied strongly that torts ensured the old core was entrenched prior to making his comment

Edited by coastal.view

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i never disputed whether he said it or not

show me where i disputed this

i simply provided context and timing

and implied strongly that torts ensured the old core was entrenched prior to making his comment

Oh.  I’m great at misunderstanding stuff. It’s actually one of my bestest qualities.  

So do you prefer Poppy Cock or Cracker Jacks?  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

the finals against Boston was the beginning of the end.

followed by 2 first round exits

AV firing

signing the sedins for way too long + many NMC NTC contracts

Torts was brought in to shake up the "Country Club ' atmosphere

He did that and went a little overboard

Sestito was right though, the Torts firing followed by Wonki'es hiring killed Sestito's time in vancouver

Nah.  The two years after 2011 easily could have been competitive with the right supporting cast/young players but Gillis created zero depth in his time here

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I didn't know that Murph was doing blogs/articles now. Pretty great idea given his access to the team for so long and the fact that guys seem to like him. 

EDIT:

But maybe he is actually not a very good journalist... didn't take me long to find out what happened:

XwntXJE.png

In that game, it looks like Lain responded to Blair Jones boarding a guy... so Lain didn't run anyone. Lain might have beat on Jones, but Jones was hardly a touted prospect. 6'3 215 and drafted in the 4th round in 2005 (8 years before the game in question... hardly even a prospect). 

Here's the fight:

And Jones was in the Calgary lineup the night in question:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201401180VAN.html 

In fact, he was involved in one of the fights at the beginning of the game. Fought Dale Weise:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cgy-vs-van/2014/01/18/2013020735#game=2013020735,game_state=final

I could have told you Murphy isnt a very good journalist. It's been about 10 years of cringey commentary while nervously shifting and twitching around like a rat. If he gets promoted to commentary after shorty retires, I'll stream all away feeds.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Trebreh said:

so basically the brawl started because the Lames organization was still butt hurt that their bust prospect got beat up in the AHL by Lain?

that just goes to show you how pathetic that franchise is. they hold grudges, they hate the Canucks because we are more popular, they HATE our city because we're Vancouver. inferiority complex runs deep in that organization that's over shadowed by the Oilers and Canucks.

ruined Lain's NHL debut (who only had 9 in his career) for some petty thing that happened in the AHL. 

now the irony is that same franchise is defending the Rat and Eric Francis saying that he doesn't have to fight Kassian because of some 'code'... 

the code only applies if they are wronged but not the other way around.  I hate the Lames so damn much. 

Lames are my least favourite team in the league and it’s not even close. Lames fans are terrible too.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

No body like Hartley stajan and sarich just did and interview and they talked about who terrible of a person he was and how he screwed kipper over on his last game of his career. 

starts at 15:35ish. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/jan-15-matt-stajan-and-cory-sarich-in-studio/

The whole interview is pretty good. They talk about players being cheap, how weird bowmeester is and bob hartley. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

Lames are my least favourite team in the league and it’s not even close. Lames fans are terrible too.

For myself I hate all teams except us.  I rank them in order of most hated:  Leafs and then Flames.  But they are close.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Blair Jones probably was just an excuse that Bob Hartley used to win his team back. 

Sometimes, old school coaches did that. 

Unnecessary hatred generated to fire up the team to bring up the intensity...

In this case tho, putting out the 4th line to start the game, he had gone too far and obviously it can't be justified. 

Lucky for him, Torts took the heat in his place. 

• Cheers 1