The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 16, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But who would he take out?

Only person I can see right now is maybe Gaudette with Sutter switching back to center.

He may have to wait a bit though.

I'd say Roussel maybe? I know it'd be a unpopular decision and I don't think he's played bad or anything. I'd take him out if Ferland came back more for rest reasons. Seems maybe little tired some nights. Understandably so, coming back from such a major injury. Got off to a hot start and has cooled off. I'd keep Gaudette in, although logically like you said, it make sense for him to sit. Maybe they could alternate him and Gauds coming out. However, I don't think Ferland is close and someone will be injured by the time he gets back anyhow.

Edit - Mind you Loui might come back to earth by then and it will be an easy decision. I don't wanna knock him, has gone through a lot and has battled. 

Edited by Outsiders

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

A coach doesn't want his player to succeed?  Common, that is just silliness.

Its about the team and getting the most of out the line to help the team.  Jake Virtanen did score the game winning goal playing on that line, which gave that line a different dimension of speed and frankly it look like having Virtanen's speed created space for Miller and Petterson.  Brock gives that line a different element of give and go puck possession.  Mixing it up allows different match ups and makes the team less predictable.

To be honest, reason why Boeser is move out frequently is because Miller and Pettersson look better together as a duo, as TG has always operated in that way.  Its not a slight against Boeser, just means that he becomes the piece to mix it up and create more offense on a different line.

I also think there is 2 other reasons.

1) Jake has played really well when he's been put there

2) I think Travis might be trying to get Gaudette and Roussel going offensively 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If Sutter plays a few good games and looks healthy then I wish they would quickly trade him.

Yeah ride his play until the deadline for a slight uptick in pts. Then move that contract. I'm on board with that. I wasn't able to watch the game but highlights showed him all over the ice. 

Good game for him?

Edited by 73 Percent

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But who would he take out?

Only person I can see right now is maybe Gaudette with Sutter switching back to center.

He may have to wait a bit though.

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Ferkie

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen 

Motte Beagle Sutter

Something like that please

Eriksson Schaller leivo

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

If Sutter plays a few good games and looks healthy then I wish they would quickly trade him.

They are not going to trade Sutter for nothing, especially when they are in the playoff hunt and he would be needed if a centremen goes down. His value would be a lot higher if he finishes the year off on a high too. 

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I can’t see him coming out of the lineup. He’s been too good defensively and on the pk. 

Never thought I’d say that but he’s earned it. Not sure who Ferland would even bump right now.

wont be a fan's choice but my guess is Gaudette

5 hours ago, kingfreako said:

Vancouver Canucks have the highest success rate playing against a team with an empty net:

Empty net performance during season 2019
Team Scored Allowed Count Succ. rate ▾
VANCOUVER CANUCKS 7 0 13 0.538
CAROLINA HURRICANES 13 2 21 0.524
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS 9 1 17 0.471
WASHINGTON CAPITALS 11 2 20 0.450
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS 10 3 17 0.412
ST. LOUIS BLUES 10 2 22 0.364
NEW YORK RANGERS 6 1 14 0.357
CALGARY FLAMES 5 1 14 0.286
CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS 8 4 14 0.286
FLORIDA PANTHERS 7 3 15 0.267
ARIZONA COYOTES 11 5 23 0.261
NEW JERSEY DEVILS 5 1 16 0.250
DALLAS STARS 6 2 16 0.250
MONTREAL CANADIENS 5 2 13 0.231
BOSTON BRUINS 9 4 22 0.227
DETROIT RED WINGS 6 3 14 0.214
EDMONTON OILERS 5 2 17 0.176
PHILADELPHIA FLYERS 4 2 12 0.167
OTTAWA SENATORS 5 3 12 0.167
VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS 4 2 13 0.154
NASHVILLE PREDATORS 8 5 20 0.150
MINNESOTA WILD 8 5 21 0.143
BUFFALO SABRES 6 4 16 0.125
COLORADO AVALANCHE 7 5 22 0.091
ANAHEIM DUCKS 4 3 13 0.077
WINNIPEG JETS 6 5 17 0.059
NEW YORK ISLANDERS 5 4 18 0.056
SAN JOSE SHARKS 6 6 21 0
COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS 7 7 19 0
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING 4 5 19 -0.053
LOS ANGELES KINGS 4 5 19 -0.053

#21 has points on how many of the 7...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

By the way.

Jake has now a career high 26 points in 48 games. And is two goals off of a career high in goals. 

Way to go Jake! I hope the fans chanting "Shotgun Jake" motivates him to bigger and better things. 

Wonder when/if any contract extension talks start...What type of term and contract should we give him? I would go longer term and bet on him, seems to have turned a corner this season

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

I was at the game tonight, That certainly changes your perspective. Here are my comments.

1. On Jake's GWG I was shouting at him to drive the net. Fortunately, he decided to ignore my advice and tried the wraparound instead. 

2. Being at the game gives you a chance to watch play away from the puck. I spent some time watching Sutter tonight in his first game back. I think the Beagle line is quite a bit better with Sutter in place of Schaller. That line had been getting buried in possession stats for a while despite being pretty much off shutdown duty. Tonight that line was much better in possession stats and by the eye test -- spending more time in the O-zone than it did with Schaller in. And of course, Beagle scored a disallowed goal on a nice play. Sutter is also an upgrade on Schaller on the PK. I have never been a Sutter fan and do not like his contract but he can help the team. After the game Green said he was able to rely more on that line defensively tonight, which allowed easier matchups for the Pettersson line. The primary matchup line once again, however, was the Horvat line.

3. The Horvat line was excellent again tonight. Despite going up against the Hall line, they won the Corsi battle, and of course Bo scored on the PP. Beary Sweat said Bo is heating up. I don't think that is right. He is not heating up. He has been red hot for a while now. In the past 15 games or so (since Eriksson joined the line on Nov. 30) he has been scoring at better than a point a game AND playing outstanding shutdown hockey. His plus/minus since Nov. 30 is +6 despite playing against the other team's top line every night. Aside from the fact that he does not play much PK, he would be arguably the top "Selke" player in the league over the past 7 weeks. 

4. As for taking Eriksson over Beagle right now, if you ignore the contracts I would agree. The Horvat line has been outstanding since Loui joined it. In terms of combined offense and defence at 5-on-5 there are not many lines in the league that have been better. Beagle plays center and is good in the faceoff dot, which has value. Both guys are good on PK and centers who can play PK are more valuable than wingers. But being able to shut down and outscore the opponent's top line almost every night is huge. Of course, Loui is the third member of that line, after Horvat and Pearson, but he still plays a crucial role. 

5. Arizona outshot the Canucks and won the Corsi battle but, according the Natural Stat Trick, the Canucks actually had more high danger chances. Marky played well and made some big saves but, even though Arizona had 35 shots, most of those shots were low probability and were basically positional saves--Marky made the save by being properly positioned. They did not get much in the way of deflections, screened shots, or rebound chances. The Canucks actually did a great job of keeping the high danger chances down, particularly in the third period. The Canucks were also good on the PK.

6. On to the EP line. Great to see JV score again. I am not sure if I like JV or Boeser in that spot. JV has the speed advantage and can make plays like his wraparound goal with his speed -- something Boeser would probably not be able to do. But Boeser's high hockey IQ fits very well with EP. Anyway, Green has some options now. I though EP was good tonight. His two assists might seem like soft second assists but on both goals he made a number of good plays just to keep the puck in high dangers areas. He just generates so many good chances that some of those chances are bound to score fairly often. To be honest, I was not that impressed with JV on the EP line until the goal, but obviously that was a big play and he played better after the goal.

7. As for the D, Myers was back on the 3rd pairing tonight and I think that is the right call. I saw him make quite a few shaky plays -- not getting the puck out, not making a clean pass. I am not saying he was bad, and he is a big upgrade at RD over Guddy, Pouliot, Biega or MDZ (all of whom played some RD last year). But I think Stecher was better playing with Edler on the "first" pairing.   I put "first" in quotes because the actual first line tonight in terms of deployment was Hughes and Tanev. Hughes played 14:06 against Hall at even strength. Edler only played 3:09. (And Fantenberg only played 1:03). Hughes was hard-matched against Hall,. And he was excellent again. He led the Canucks in ice-time and I am sure he spent more time with the puck on his stick than any player on the ice. The Canucks are very fortunate he dropped down to #7 in the draft and obviously made the right call in going for Hughes at that point. 

8. Once again the Canucks have the best winning percentage in the Division, although they are a point back in the actual standings. The top 5 teams in the Division are still in a virtual tie. I hope the Canucks can break out of the logjam. A win against San Jose on Saturday would be a great next step. 

Excellent post. Thanks fir the read. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Loved our forecheck tonight!

Made some sloppy plays in our own end, and didn’t keep it simple, but I liked the effort overall. Played patient and didn’t try to force too much.

Basically beat the Yotes at their own game tonight.

They were on serious lock down in the third.  Other than the chance that Marky stoned them on, the Coyotes couldn't get much going.  All in all a pretty low key, 34 save performance for Markstrom.

Loved the game. 

Ericksson: another strong game. His scoring ops are going up. 

Pearson: kinda sneaky good. Love his positioning.

Jake: He brings a bit of unpredictability and strong puck possession in the ozone. He likely does not stay there but his TOI on that line bodes well for playoffs.

Sutter: comes back in after 2 practices and plays a great game. He brings strong d-zone coverage but also has an offensive threat that Schaller does not have. 

Marky: another insane effort. He makes the Van d-core look better than they are. Markstrom needs more breaks bring Demko back in. 

D-zone: I hate those touch or short passes in the d-zone with less than 5 minutes left in the game. Caused a few turnovers that could have costed. Thought Fantenburg had

a good game. Stecher is a hard worker and has improved this season. That said I worry about his game during playoffs where the play is heavier. They have to play Rafferty at some point this spring. 

Ferlund: If/when he comes back I think he takes Roussel off. You need players like Ferlund and Roussel in heavier games so both would be part of a playoff run.  

I think it’s safe to say when Ferland comes back, Eriksson comes out. Virtanen stays on Pete’s line, Ferlund stays with Bo. Any other scenario is ludicrous. There was some incredible chemistry last night having Jakes energy on that line. Ferlund will add some grit and speed to Bo’s line and will go into the corners and win battles, where as Eriksson just floats around waiting for the puck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1