The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 16, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

those probably are the reasons, but man did that 3rd line look vulnerable last night. I don't mind the idea of Jake getting rewarded at all, but I don't know why Green has to diddle with lines that are working. 

I don't see the benefit of breaking up an elite 1st line just to reward Jake, when that line of Roussel-AG-Jake is doing so well. I think you get inferior lines by switching Jake and Boeser - the top line isn't improved and the 3rd line is weaker. I don't get it. 

“Coaches don’t win games; they lose them.”

IMO, we are winning in spite of Green, because we have elite players (Petey, Hughes, Bo, Marky) who are difference makers.

• Wat 2

21 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

I think it’s safe to say when Ferland comes back, Eriksson comes out. Virtanen stays on Pete’s line, Ferlund stays with Bo. Any other scenario is ludicrous. There was some incredible chemistry last night having Jakes energy on that line. Ferlund will add some grit and speed to Bo’s line and will go into the corners and win battles, where as Eriksson just floats around waiting for the puck. 

Maybe Beagle comes out and Sutter centres the 4th line with Ferda and Motte on the wings?

I was expecting a boring trap game but instead I got to watch a fast paced not many whistles game.  Good team game and good team win

And kudo's to LE - he has played well since his  move to the Horvat line - not 6mil well but  he is being productive - far more productive then sitting in the press box

It is going to get interesting when Ferland and Leivo return - a bridge to cross when we get there as we all know how injuries play out

Have this love/hate relationship with Myers - sometimes he is so darn good and sometimes NOT.

And the Sharks on Sat - we need those 2 points as well

GCG

Miller Petey jake/brock

Pearson Horvat Eriksson

Roussel Gaudette brock/Jake

Sutter Beagle Motte

Ferland is not going to play 4th line. And hes not a centre. And you dont want to mess up chemistry. 

It has to be Eriksson.

Keep in mind Leivo is sidelined too. If this whole forward group is healthy I see this.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Ferland

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

Sutter Beagle Motte

Leivo Eriksson

We've come a long way from the Vey Megna Chaput days 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

I was expecting a boring trap game but instead I got to watch a fast paced not many whistles game.  Good team game and good team win

And kudo's to LE - he has played well since his  move to the Horvat line - not 6mil well but  he is being productive - far more productive then sitting in the press box

It is going to get interesting when Ferland and Leivo return - a bridge to cross when we get there as we all know how injuries play out

Have this love/hate relationship with Myers - sometimes he is so darn good and sometimes NOT.

And the Sharks on Sat - we need those 2 points as well

GCG

How about that one timer he got off on the rush.

I think that was the hardest I've ever seen him shoot 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

We need beags to kill penalties. Eriksson  has got to go. 

I'm thinking 

Miller Petey Jake

Pearson Bo Boeser

Ferland Gaudette Sutter

Rousell Beagle Motte

Schaller Eriksson

Or

Miller Petey Boeser/Jake

Pearson Bo Eriksson

Ferland Gaudette Jake/Boeser

Rousell Beagle Sutter 

On a side not the fourth line looked great last night

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

those probably are the reasons, but man did that 3rd line look vulnerable last night. I don't mind the idea of Jake getting rewarded at all, but I don't know why Green has to diddle with lines that are working. 

I don't see the benefit of breaking up an elite 1st line just to reward Jake, when that line of Roussel-AG-Jake is doing so well. I think you get inferior lines by switching Jake and Boeser - the top line isn't improved and the 3rd line is weaker. I don't get it. 

Travis puts Jake on the first line for defensive balance, not for offense. On most nights the first line with Brock can outscore their loose defensive mistakes but against a stingy team like Arizona (and a divisional game to boot) it just makes good sense to put Jake on the first line. I only remember Peteys line spending one shift in their own zone last night.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Petey and Boes together is too easy to shutdown.  They looked far better with jake on that line, imo.  I'd prefer Boies be on Bo's line, but I don't think he's got the defensive cho[ps to play that role and those hard mins, so AG's line is the only place for him to go. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NeilColville said:

I think it’s safe to say when Ferland comes back, Eriksson comes out. Virtanen stays on Pete’s line, Ferlund stays with Bo. Any other scenario is ludicrous. There was some incredible chemistry last night having Jakes energy on that line. Ferlund will add some grit and speed to Bo’s line and will go into the corners and win battles, where as Eriksson just floats around waiting for the puck. 

Jake scored a goal, ok great, but there was no incredible chemistry, Petey was not great and neither was Miller. Bo's line was good and Ericksson had a good game

Hughes is so crafty defending, what he lacks in size he makes up for in skill. At one point he stripped Taylor hall of the puck in the the corner and skated behind the net to the other corner before Hall looked down at his feet to find the puck and then looked around to try to figure out what happened. He had no idea Hughes picked his pocket. 

10 hours ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

Boeser’s ice time tonight and in the last period of Minnesota is a concern IMO. What’s really going on here? Is he playing hurt? He was perhaps a blown review away from a hat trick three games ago in Buffalo and now he’s logging very limited minutes. Something doesn’t add up. 

Gaudette's production has dropped a bit, bringing Boeser down at times may be to try to help him pick it up again.

I like the idea of taking Brock off of Elias' line sometimes.  They both need to think of themselves as the primary scorers and having both on one line sees them deferring to each other too much.

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

A coach doesn't want his player to succeed?  Common, that is just silliness.

Its about the team and getting the most of out the line to help the team.  Jake Virtanen did score the game winning goal playing on that line, which gave that line a different dimension of speed and frankly it look like having Virtanen's speed created space for Miller and Petterson.  Brock gives that line a different element of give and go puck possession.  Mixing it up allows different match ups and makes the team less predictable.

To be honest, reason why Boeser is move out frequently is because Miller and Pettersson look better together as a duo, as TG has always operated in that way.  Its not a slight against Boeser, just means that he becomes the piece to mix it up and create more offense on a different line.

well why is it Boeser who gets pulled to the 3rd line, Jake scored a goal  and of course I was happy but he was not fantastic as some were saying. Petey and Miller were not great. all I am saying is the first line has been our best since day one , why screw around with it.  I don't buy that Miller and Petey look better, Petey and Boeser have always looked better and more exciting to watch

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

Ive been noticing that Boeser has been looking to dish the puck instead of create something on his own. He's be doing well on the top line because he's dishing the puck to Petey or Miller. Last night he was carrying the puck for longer and driving the play more than usual.

I suspect Boeser was put on the third line to bring that out in him. It could also get him shooting more by having the superior shot on the line.

This tactic worked well with Kessel in Pittsburgh when he was playing on the third line with Bonino

I agree it was nice seeing Boes take the initiative on the rush and just take shots. we need him to drive the play, as he is capable of doing so, and I think he is a bit hesitant to do it on the 1st line. I'm good with mixing things up a bit, and the Win doesn't hurt either !

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1