The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 16, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure, but they weren’t calling much of anything tonight. If we had different refs there could have been like 10 power plays in that game. Hate that inconsistency.

I think most people would prefer the game to be called like it was tonight though. I hate it when the refs are making make up calls all game.

Yeah, it's been horribly inconsistent all year.  And it seems league wide too.  That's what happens when they start to "manage" the game instead of just calling it as they see it, nobody knows what a penalty is anymore and it all becomes random.  I'm sure the owners are thinking that they are maximizing their profits by making it more "entertaining" but people who prefer NHL over WWE don't necessarily see it that way.  I'd like to let the players play but whatever place they decide to draw the line they have to do it more consistently.  I'd like to see the NHL call the penalties the same during the regular season and the playoffs like they do in the NFL.  The NHL always denies that the penalty definition is different at different times but any hockey fan knows that it is.  Anyway I don't think that any of that is going to happen so we have to just enjoy it as it is.  At least we're getting some of the random calls our way.  Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Big tuna closing in on 20. For that special occasion I will shotgun till I blackout at number five orange .

Could be worse places to do it, as long as you don't get 86'd! :lol: 

P.S. Maybe take Alf with ya'! 

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 9:48 PM, Rick Blight said:
71.1 Premature Substitution - When a goalkeeper leaves his goal area and proceeds to his players' bench for the purpose of substituting another player, the skater cannot enter the playing surface before the goalkeeper is within five feet (5’) of the bench. If the substitution is made prematurely, the official shall stop play immediately unless the non-offending team has possession of the puck - in which event the stoppage will be delayed until the puck changes possession.
  There shall be no time penalty to the team making the premature substitution, but the resulting face-off will take place at the center ice face-off spot when play is stopped beyond the center red line. When play is stopped prior to the center red line, the resulting face-off shall be conducted at the nearest face-off spot in the zone where the play was stopped.

Thanks.  That explains why it wasn't called a penalty.  Now, I'm curious as to why that rule is written that way.  Seems like obvious too many men to me.  But whatever, I am now more informed.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
I made a rather serious typo, I meant to say "I am now more informed" when I originally said "I am no more informed". That came out a lot differently than intended.