The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that don't make sense about hockey.

Rate this topic

Hey guys been watching hockey since I can remember but tbh been thinking more and more lately how certain things don't make sense. For me the list includes 

Pulling goalie down 2goals. Chances are you are hurting GD end of year that could cost a playoff spot. 

Coaches timeout. There are enough commercials breaks imo that they don't need an extra break. 

Finally 3v3 being the minimum amount of players. Just let it go down to 1v1 if they are enough penalties. 

Just my thoughts. Shoot away folks

Personally, I think the odds of having GD being the tie-breaker are very minimal. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's quite far on the tie-breaker priority. I'd take the 5% chance to tie the game. Goal differential isn't likely to matter.

One for me is the "Patrick Roy" rule where goalies can't go past centre ice (I think it might've been Plante or Hall that instigated it way back when actually). Honestly, that seems dumb to me--if a goalie really wants to go past centre ice, why not let him?

• Upvote 2

1. Rule 71 – Premature Substitution

71.1 Premature Substitution - When a goalkeeper leaves his goal area and proceeds to his players’ bench for the purpose of substituting another player, the skater cannot enter the playing surface before the goalkeeper is within five feet (5’) of the bench. If the substitution is made prematurely, the official shall stop play immediately unless the non-offending team has possession of the puck -- in which event the stoppage will be delayed until the puck changes possession. There shall be no time penalty to the team making the premature substitution, but the resulting face-off will take place at the center ice face-off spot when play is stopped beyond the center red line. When play is stopped prior to the center red line, the resulting face-off shall be conducted at the nearest face-off spot in the zone where the play was stopped. In all other situations not covered in the above, a minor penalty may result for “too many men on the ice” (see Rule 74)

su·per·flu·ous
    /so͞oˈpərflo͞oəs/
    adjective

1. unnecessary, especially through being more than enough.
      "the purchaser should avoid asking for superfluous information"

Edited by xereau
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Why refs don't have to answer to the media.

I think they should do that in all sports not just hockey. Excellent idea. 

Like I was watching a TSN top 10 list and they were talking about the Gretzky stick to Gilmour that left blood on his chin.  They had the ref interviewed and the ref admitted he made a mistake because his vision was blocked so he couldn't see how Gilmour got the blood on his chin, and says he wishes he could change it but it's too late. But the interview was years after the fact. 

Imagine if we had that at the end of every game, where we got to interview the refs and ask them why they made a call a certain way. 

Like we never even know what's really going on with the refs and we are forced to assume. I feel like if the refs got interviewed, we could at least understand their rationale and know when they actually made mistakes. 

Edited by Guest

Goal differential has never mattered in the standings I'm pretty sure, ever, so I don't think it's an issue.

Goal differential is a pretty good judgment for the superiority between two teams close in the standings, but it's nice that it's almost never applied in the tiebreaker, as sports should be always about Ws and Ls.

3 hours ago, milk and honey said:

Hey guys been watching hockey since I can remember but tbh been thinking more and more lately how certain things don't make sense. For me the list includes 

Pulling goalie down 2goals. Chances are you are hurting GD end of year that could cost a playoff spot. 

Coaches timeout. There are enough commercials breaks imo that they don't need an extra break. 

Finally 3v3 being the minimum amount of players. Just let it go down to 1v1 if they are enough penalties. 

Just my thoughts. Shoot away folks

I have nussing to say

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I think the odds of having GD being the tie-breaker are very minimal. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's quite far on the tie-breaker priority. I'd take the 5% chance to tie the game. Goal differential isn't likely to matter.

One for me is the "Patrick Roy" rule where goalies can't go past centre ice (I think it might've been Plante or Hall that instigated it way back when actually). Honestly, that seems dumb to me--if a goalie really wants to go past centre ice, why not let him?

I fink the goalie center ice rule was put in because a team on the attack could pull their goalie and get him to freeze the puck in the offensive zone? 

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Having a goal disallowed for goalie interference but not getting a penalty for goalie interference.

Sometimes a player bumps a goalie and or a teammate pushes a player into his goalie.

Not a penalty

Not a goal 

Goalies are allowed the space of blue ice to move freely

Skaters are allowed to move freely on the white ice

Sometimes players overlap and influence eachother but that is not a penalty nor a goal.

Example- Peteys penalty shot against Pekkar Inne.

Petey almost prevented pekkar from moving across by being in the crease.. although it was allowed because petey had him beat before he moved.