The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] David Backes, Luke Schenn

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mll said:

I wonder how long before we see him suspended so he isn't using up cap space for them.  Their statement made it clear "he is fit and able to play", which gives them some protection/rationale for suspending him if he isn't reporting.

Out of interest, he is owed a little under $6 million on the rest of his contract that he walks away from if he doesn't play in the minors.  Less than what Eriksson would be leaving on the table in the same situation if he left after his signing bonus this summer.

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wonder how long before we see him suspended so he isn't using up cap space for them.  Their statement made it clear "he is fit and able to play", which gives them some protection/rationale for suspending him if he isn't reporting.

Out of interest, he is owed a little under $6 million on the rest of his contract that he walks away from if he doesn't play in the minors.  Less than what Eriksson would be leaving on the table in the same situation if he left after his signing bonus this summer.

They've agreed that together.  He is demoted but he doesn't have to report.  His buried cap hit is on their books - 4.925M.  

Canucks did the same with Brandon Prust.  

Edited by mll

36 minutes ago, mll said:

They've agreed that together.  He is demoted but he doesn't have to report.  His buried cap hit is on their books - 4.925M.  

Canucks did the same with Brandon Prust.  

That is in the short term while pursuing options, the Bruins are a cap strapped team near the top of the league who want to contend for the Cup.

They aren't likely going to leave it like that long term.

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is in the short term while pursuing options, the Bruins are a cap strapped team near the top of the league who want to contend for the Cup.

They aren't likely going to leave it like that long term.

His agent likely has it in writing.   The communication is also clear that it was a common decision.  If the Bruins want to void the contract the NHL/NHLPA are going to intervene.

They might turn to Anaheim and see if they can unload that 1 year with Murray willing to take bad contracts for picks/prospects.  Eric Stephens who covers the Ducks thinks that a 1st round pick is not going to be sufficient.  

Edited by mll

8 minutes ago, mll said:

His agent likely has it in writing.   The communication is also clear that it was a common decision.  If the Bruins want to void the contract the NHL/NHLPA are going to intervene.

They might turn to Anaheim and see if they can unload that 1 year with Murray willing to take bad contracts for picks/prospects.  Eric Stephens who covers the Ducks thinks that a 1st round pick is not going to be sufficient.  

The statement "at this time", "he is fit and ready to play".. lots of the details in that statement are clearly carefully worded and vetted through their lawyers.  I suspect they are burning up the phones trying to figure out a solution.

Clearly Backes doesn't want to volunteer to retire, and the team will give him to  the trade deadline before forcing him to the AHL.  It is probably a deal where he agreed to open up his NTC in exchange for not being forced to the minors in the short term.  His agent is probably working the phones to find a landing spot too. If he is still with Boston at the deadline he is going to be forced to report or retire.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

The statement "at this time", "he is fit and ready to play".. lots of the details in that statement are clearly carefully worded and vetted through their lawyers.  I suspect they are burning up the phones trying to figure out a solution.

I wonder if it's also not for a buyout this coming June - teams can only buyout healthy players.   It would be a 4M cap hit and then 1M the season after.

f they retain 50% they could maybe convince another team to buy him out for them.  Each team then has 2M on their books next season and 500K the season after.  That's still reasonable.  Marleau was a 1st round pick but at full salary.   

6 minutes ago, mll said:

I wonder if it's also not for a buyout this coming June - teams can only buyout healthy players.   It would be a 4M cap hit and then 1M the season after.

f they retain 50% they could maybe convince another team to buy him out for them.  Each team then has 2M on their books next season and 500K the season after.  That's still reasonable.  Marleau was a 1st round pick but at full salary.   

That is also possible, to avoid a surprise big Buff scenario... I would think that if he turned out to be "injured" permanently they would be happier than buying him out.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:52 PM, SilentSam said:

I’m going to trim around today’s line up.

Pearson Horvat Guadette

Miller.   Petey.    Virtannen 

Sutter   Beagle    Motte

Schaller Boeser.  Rooster

or.

Pearson. Horvat Boeser

Miller   Petey.  Virtannen 

Boeser  Sutter   Rooster

Schaller Beagle  Motte

still at some point have access to the likes of  Ferland Leivo. MacEwan Bartschi.

its NOT Eriksson playing better... it’s the rest of the TEAM that is.

Eriksson should be in the same position as Backes, who I regard as a better player.

You are high if you think Boeser is every going to play 4C. Also, your second line you have him double shifting while Gaudette gets no line. Canucks have won 13 of their last 16, don't think the lineup will change much. Ferland can either come in for Loui but more likely will start on the 4th with Beagle and Sutter. When Leivo is back maybe he comes in for Loui, but I would rather keep Loui in there. Leivo's last game was 15 games ago, since we have had Loui with Horvat and Pearson we have gone 12-3-0. Why on earth do we shuffle things while on a run like this. If we start losing, maybe we then look at a shuffle of the lineup.

Winning and your impact is not just about stats on the board. Loui provides great defensive stability that allows Horvat and Pearson to take more offensive risk allowing them to put up better offensive numbers. I feel more comfortable with Loui on the ice closing out a win that any of the guys you listed. 

Edited by Tower102
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is also possible, to avoid a surprise big Buff scenario... I would think that if he turned out to be "injured" permanently they would be happier than buying him out.

They'll probably say it's concussion related. I mean, he has had quite a few, seems believable enough.

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

You are high if you think Boeser is every going to play 4C. Also, your second line you have him double shifting while Gaudette gets no line. Canucks have won 13 of their last 16, don't think the lineup will change much. Ferland can either come in for Loui but more likely will start on the 4th with Beagle and Sutter. When Leivo is back maybe he comes in for Loui, but I would rather keep Loui in there. Leivo's last game was 15 games ago, since we have had Loui with Horvat and Pearson we have gone 12-3-0. Why on earth do we shuffle things while on a run like this. If we start losing, maybe we then look at a shuffle of the lineup.

Winning and your impact is not just about stats on the board. Loui provides great defensive stability that allows Horvat and Pearson to take more offensive risk allowing them to put up better offensive numbers. I feel more comfortable with Loui on the ice closing out a win that any of the guys you listed. 

Well, I still disagree.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Meanwhile, our "bad contract" LE is playing a prominent role on our team still. That was a bad UFA year, but it's looking like we got the best of a bad bunch at least.

Too little too late.

Lets stop making cream out of Coffee Mate.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Well, I still disagree.

What do you disagree with? You still think Boeser (a skilled winger) should play 4th line C? Do you disagree and think we should shake up our winning roster so that we can put a guy in there that will have a couple extra goals on his total but limits the totals Horvat and Pearson can put up...while allowing more goals against. Should we put out a roster that will win less just so our overpaid player doesn't play in favour of someone who puts up marginally better stats. I for one would prefer we win...

50 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

What do you disagree with? You still think Boeser (a skilled winger) should play 4th line C? Do you disagree and think we should shake up our winning roster so that we can put a guy in there that will have a couple extra goals on his total but limits the totals Horvat and Pearson can put up...while allowing more goals against. Should we put out a roster that will win less just so our overpaid player doesn't play in favour of someone who puts up marginally better stats. I for one would prefer we win...

It’s not a shake up really,  it’s one player out.. a prospect in , and a top six F on the 4th line that he would get to lead in his natural position.  The rotation into the first line to follow could allow Green the flexibility to keep Boeser on ice if he saw an off hand match up.

This also helps to keep some individuals fresher for specialty teams..

Dont forget, there isn’t one line that has stayed the same on this team from the beginning of the season,  that’s the beauty of the talent we have.

Adjustments are made every game..  I’ve only noted what I would try, and that was at a time where some adjustments were made.

Just not a big Eriksson fan .. sorry.

ps . green did make an adjustment after I quoted that line up.. and Boeser played at C.  
He looked in control, dynamic,.  And less predictable.. which is what is hampering his game right now.

Edited by SilentSam