The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman faces deportation 18 years after arriving to Canada as a child

Ryan Strome

7 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

But hypothetically speaking...

Some rich investor from some East Asian country comes in and buys lots of land, stocks and bonds.  All (or some) earnings are declared and taxable.  

Would that person be allowed a path to citizenship?

Former Canuck Jiri Bubla was a convicted herion smuggler that faced the prospects of deportation from Canada when his prison sentence was over in Austria.   He paid his dues & Pat Quinn helped 'pull some strings' to permit him to stay in this country.  Bubla eventually started up a janitorial business (@ the then current home of the Canucks....Pacific Coliseum).  Guy paid his dues for that mistake and became a taxpayer citizen running a successful business thanks to Quinn he felt he deserved a 'second chance'.

That was Pat Quinn.  A loyal friend thru good *AND* bad times.  

27 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Some rich investor from some East Asian country comes in and buys lots of land, stocks and bonds.  All (or some) earnings are declared and taxable.  

This is why I said "a path towards citizenship". Each case decided on it's merits.

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

“It’s a very tragic case and stands against everything Canada is supposed to stand for ... she is making what is supposed to be the so-called proper way to do things and is being punished for it,” she said.

yeah... that's how our country works... if you don't like it, why would you want to stay?

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I won't argue with that at all.  But after 2 decades it is impossible to fault anyone but the person at issue.  Immigration consultants are as bad as politicians and real estate agents in the sense they are literally all only there for the same reason and it's never ever for the person.

After 2 decades she should have filed, she admits as a child it even sounded fishy to her but never once looked in to it?  While I feel for her there has to be some personal onus on getting something done.  I certainly would not move to France with my kids, have them hang out for 18 years and expect that nothing would ever come up.

don't say what you would have done if you were taken to a foreign country when you were 12. You don't know because you would have been a completely different person

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to go against the trend here....

I believe that at a certain point of paying taxes and contributing to the Canadian economy, there should be a path towards citizenship.

it's easy for us to sit back and say "too bad, so sad.....she should have followed the rules", but I don't see how any of the parties involved are served by sending a contributing member of Canadian society to a country she hasn't lived in for almost 2 decades.

And yes, I thought this way before I saw her photo...

I 100% agree with you.  After a certain amount of time there SHOULD be that option, and here's why.

See below

59 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

There is sadly no hypothetical here.  Investor immigration has been going on for decades.  Literally a two tiered system in which if you have money to outright buy a home here and support yourself and family you're in.  Almost always faster than any other way.

I was started under Mulroney in 86, it was re-upped and renewed by Harper in 2014 and it was actually just recently killed off a year or two ago.  It still exists in some fashion but not an outright buy in like was formerly possible

18 minutes ago, butters said:

don't say what you would have done if you were taken to a foreign country when you were 12. You don't know because you would have been a completely different person

It doesn't matter what person I would have grown up to be.  If after 2 decades you do not file at all.  You happily pay taxes but NEVER sign the simple paperwork to start the process, literally to just START the process.

it's on her.  Nobody else

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It doesn't matter what person I would have grown up to be.  If after 2 decades you do not file at all.  You happily pay taxes but NEVER sign the simple paperwork to start the process, literally to just START the process.

it's on her.  Nobody else

I didn't comment on the case itself, just your high horse. Saying that you would have done things totally different if someone messed up your life when you were 12.

1 minute ago, butters said:

I didn't comment on the case itself, just your high horse. Saying that you would have done things totally different if someone messed up your life when you were 12.

what high horse, f I was 12 like her and said it didn't;t sound right, like she did.  I'd have looked in to it.  I can say I would have done differently because of my past experiences dealing with Indigenous Affairs.

it's not a high horse at all.  it's common bloody sense.  Especially if someone "messed up my life" when I was 12.  I sure as hell would have looked in to it the moment I was legally allowed to.

She didn't, so that's that.  She's out of here 

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

what high horse, f I was 12 like her and said it didn't;t sound right, like she did.  I'd have looked in to it.  I can say I would have done differently because of my past experiences dealing with Indigenous Affairs.

it's not a high horse at all.  it's common bloody sense.  Especially if someone "messed up my life" when I was 12.  I sure as hell would have looked in to it the moment I was legally allowed to.

She didn't, so that's that.  She's out of here 

anyone who says they know what they would do in a situation that is utterly alien to them is ignorant. Kinda the way that there's lots of people who are tough guys until they get into a fight. You have no idea how different things would be for you if you were taken to another country as a child. You have no clue what you would have done then or now. To say otherwise is ignorant.

Its also ignorant tho say she didn't look into it when she did. Multiple times. And this most recent time is the thing that triggered her deportation. I'm not telling you this to try and change your mind, just to show you how utterly ignorant you are about everything in this case.

Edited by butters

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to go against the trend here....

I believe that at a certain point of paying taxes and contributing to the Canadian economy, there should be a path towards citizenship.

it's easy for us to sit back and say "too bad, so sad.....she should have followed the rules", but I don't see how any of the parties involved are served by sending a contributing member of Canadian society to a country she hasn't lived in for almost 2 decades.

And yes, I thought this way before I saw her photo...

That's because after you see the photo you realize marriage is the path to citizenship

• Haha 1