Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Woman faces deportation 18 years after arriving to Canada as a child

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Up until 2014 that was a path to citizenship. 

Now they just buy homes in Vancouver. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

But hypothetically speaking...

Some rich investor from some East Asian country comes in and buys lots of land, stocks and bonds.  All (or some) earnings are declared and taxable.  

Would that person be allowed a path to citizenship?

Former Canuck Jiri Bubla was a convicted herion smuggler that faced the prospects of deportation from Canada when his prison sentence was over in Austria.   He paid his dues & Pat Quinn helped 'pull some strings' to permit him to stay in this country.  Bubla eventually started up a janitorial business (@ the then current home of the Canucks....Pacific Coliseum).  Guy paid his dues for that mistake and became a taxpayer citizen running a successful business thanks to Quinn he felt he deserved a 'second chance'.

 

That was Pat Quinn.  A loyal friend thru good *AND* bad times.  

  • Burr 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a total waste of time and money.  She gets her, whatever the hell she needs to stay.  Fire the bastards who are trying to deport her.  Why does common sense disappear when people in government get a little power?  

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

But hypothetically speaking...

Some rich investor from some East Asian country comes in and buys lots of land, stocks and bonds.  All (or some) earnings are declared and taxable.  

Would that person be allowed a path to citizenship?

This is why I said "a path towards citizenship". Each case decided on it's merits.

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

 

“It’s a very tragic case and stands against everything Canada is supposed to stand for ... she is making what is supposed to be the so-called proper way to do things and is being punished for it,” she said.

yeah... that's how our country works... if you don't like it, why would you want to stay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I won't argue with that at all.  But after 2 decades it is impossible to fault anyone but the person at issue.  Immigration consultants are as bad as politicians and real estate agents in the sense they are literally all only there for the same reason and it's never ever for the person.

 

After 2 decades she should have filed, she admits as a child it even sounded fishy to her but never once looked in to it?  While I feel for her there has to be some personal onus on getting something done.  I certainly would not move to France with my kids, have them hang out for 18 years and expect that nothing would ever come up.

don't say what you would have done if you were taken to a foreign country when you were 12. You don't know because you would have been a completely different person

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 112 said:

yeah... that's how our country works... if you don't like it, why would you want to stay?

because she lived here since she was 12 and its where her life is

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to go against the trend here....

 

I believe that at a certain point of paying taxes and contributing to the Canadian economy, there should be a path towards citizenship.

 

it's easy for us to sit back and say "too bad, so sad.....she should have followed the rules", but I don't see how any of the parties involved are served by sending a contributing member of Canadian society to a country she hasn't lived in for almost 2 decades.

 

And yes, I thought this way before I saw her photo...

I 100% agree with you.  After a certain amount of time there SHOULD be that option, and here's why.

 

See below

59 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

But hypothetically speaking...

Some rich investor from some East Asian country comes in and buys lots of land, stocks and bonds.  All (or some) earnings are declared and taxable.  

Would that person be allowed a path to citizenship?

There is sadly no hypothetical here.  Investor immigration has been going on for decades.  Literally a two tiered system in which if you have money to outright buy a home here and support yourself and family you're in.  Almost always faster than any other way.

 

I was started under Mulroney in 86, it was re-upped and renewed by Harper in 2014 and it was actually just recently killed off a year or two ago.  It still exists in some fashion but not an outright buy in like was formerly possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, butters said:

don't say what you would have done if you were taken to a foreign country when you were 12. You don't know because you would have been a completely different person

It doesn't matter what person I would have grown up to be.  If after 2 decades you do not file at all.  You happily pay taxes but NEVER sign the simple paperwork to start the process, literally to just START the process.

 

it's on her.  Nobody else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It doesn't matter what person I would have grown up to be.  If after 2 decades you do not file at all.  You happily pay taxes but NEVER sign the simple paperwork to start the process, literally to just START the process.

 

it's on her.  Nobody else

I didn't comment on the case itself, just your high horse. Saying that you would have done things totally different if someone messed up your life when you were 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, butters said:

I didn't comment on the case itself, just your high horse. Saying that you would have done things totally different if someone messed up your life when you were 12.

what high horse, f I was 12 like her and said it didn't;t sound right, like she did.  I'd have looked in to it.  I can say I would have done differently because of my past experiences dealing with Indigenous Affairs.

 

it's not a high horse at all.  it's common bloody sense.  Especially if someone "messed up my life" when I was 12.  I sure as hell would have looked in to it the moment I was legally allowed to.

 

She didn't, so that's that.  She's out of here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She should just walk a cross the border, Trudeau will welcome here with open arms, buy here a house, and give her a millions dollars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She' will probably get to stay because of what is between her legs. Especially in today's society. 

 

Plus she's a certified smoke show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

She should just walk a cross the border, Trudeau will welcome here with open arms, buy here a house, and give her a millions dollars

Nice try, pal. Doesn't work; she's white 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

what high horse, f I was 12 like her and said it didn't;t sound right, like she did.  I'd have looked in to it.  I can say I would have done differently because of my past experiences dealing with Indigenous Affairs.

 

it's not a high horse at all.  it's common bloody sense.  Especially if someone "messed up my life" when I was 12.  I sure as hell would have looked in to it the moment I was legally allowed to.

 

She didn't, so that's that.  She's out of here 

anyone who says they know what they would do in a situation that is utterly alien to them is ignorant. Kinda the way that there's lots of people who are tough guys until they get into a fight. You have no idea how different things would be for you if you were taken to another country as a child. You have no clue what you would have done then or now. To say otherwise is ignorant.

 

Its also ignorant tho say she didn't look into it when she did. Multiple times. And this most recent time is the thing that triggered her deportation. I'm not telling you this to try and change your mind, just to show you how utterly ignorant you are about everything in this case.

Edited by butters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

She should just walk a cross the border, Trudeau will welcome here with open arms, buy here a house, and give her a millions dollars

Other “person” was born here.  Key difference you’re leaving out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Nice try, pal. Doesn't work; she's white 

Which is probably the only reason why this thread exists!

 

Hiyooooo!

Edited by HerrDrFunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Which is probably the only reason why this thread exists!

 

Hiyooooo!

And she doesn’t look like Newbie wearing a skirt and five o’clock shadow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to go against the trend here....

 

I believe that at a certain point of paying taxes and contributing to the Canadian economy, there should be a path towards citizenship.

 

it's easy for us to sit back and say "too bad, so sad.....she should have followed the rules", but I don't see how any of the parties involved are served by sending a contributing member of Canadian society to a country she hasn't lived in for almost 2 decades.

 

And yes, I thought this way before I saw her photo...

That's because after you see the photo you realize marriage is the path to citizenship

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The immigration minister has granted her a temporary permit while she goes through the PR process.  She'll probably be fine.  It's possible that her getting outed will lead to a more peaceful life for her.  But I also know that happy endings are few and far in between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.